cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Hero CPU Level Up Bugged? Please Help!

D3falt
Level 7
Hi guys, i have a few problems with my new PC the first of which are the temps. I am using a 4790K with the stock intel cooler, and for some reason my cpu is boosting to 4.4GHz when it should run at 4.0GHz. i do not think the stock cooler can handle this and i'm not comfortable with the temps. The only thing that looks remotely related is CPU Level Up and i think its bugged on my BIOS when i click the drop down my options are (Auto,4.600,4.600,4.600) Yes 4.6GHz 3 times and auto. Is this right? and where is Off?

I can post pictures if needed any help will be much appreciated. :confused:
16 REPLIES 16

Nate152
Hello D3falt

I imagine because your cpu at default is 4.0 to 4.4 boost, it is giving 4.6 three times because 4.6 is the max cpu level up is programmed to run at. You should be able to disable cpu level up on the extreme tweaker tab.

What are your cpu temps under load?

Nate152 wrote:
Hello D3falt

I imagine because your cpu at default is 4.0 to 4.4 boost, it is giving 4.6 three times because 4.6 is the max cpu level up is programmed to run at.

What are your cpu temps under load?

Hi nate thanks for responding i havent put load on it yet because basically i messed up my thermal paste and didnt want to wait so i bought some chap stuff and its bad! My idle temp is 53 degrees celcius. I'm planning on getting an aftermarket cooler before i start using it properly.

But my main question is how do i turn off boost i don't want it and it's too high.

Nate152
Yeah 53c idle temp is very high. ideally it should be around mid 30's or lower.

Disable turbo, this will run your cpu at 4.0GHz. In the bios, Advanced tab, cpu configuration.

Depending on what cpu coolers your case supports, I would recommend an all in one liquid cpu cooler, something like the corsair H100i or better.

D3falt
Level 7
Yes the h100i is exactly what i plan to get just because it's relatively simple and gives me a lot of headroom.

Also Nate could you give me any more detail on how to disable it becuase i dont know which setting turns of turbo

Nate152
Go into the bios, clickadvanced tab, then click cpu configuration. There you will see turbo, set it to disabled.

Another quick and easy way to disable turbo is:

If you have real temp installed, open it and click settings, check the box that says disable turbo, but I prefer the first method.

Nate152 wrote:
Go into the bios, clickadvanced tab, then click cpu configuration. There you will see turbo, set it to disabled.

Another quick and easy way to disable turbo is:

If you have real temp installed, open it and click settings, check the box that says disable turbo, but I prefer the first method.

Nate thank you so much for this. I have one more thing to ask you though. It also say target cache frequency 4400MHz i this anthing to do with the cpu?

Nate152
You're welcome

That is the cpu cache, you can set it to 4000MHz for now, this should help lower temps a bit too. Just remember to change it back when you install your h100i.

if you have any other questions please ask.

D3falt
Level 7
Again do you know how to change it and is it directly related to the cpu core speed

Nate152
It's not related to the core speed, the cpu cache is a small portion of memory that is built into the cpu.

On the extreme tweaker tab where it says cpu cache, you should be able to enter the value of 4000MHz.

Unfortunately my motherboard and cpu does not support this feature.