cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing ssd on G750JZ

pokemon5s4
Level 7
Hi, I am new here and I just bought a G750JZ yesterday.

My model hard disk had only a 1TB hard disk and I wish to add in two 128GB SSD (Samsung 840 PRO) into my laptop.

I had read some post and see some video tutorial but to be honest, I am not a pro in pc hardware and software.

I need some advice on how to backup the OS and restore in my new SSD, and how do I install and configure my ssd setting to raid 0 ?

thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

pokemon5s4
Level 7
I end up buying a 256 samsung pro ssd at the end. Just wondering is it possible for me to slot in my ssd in the empty slot and start migrating the data using the software by samsung (instead doing the asus backtracker to a 16gb flash drive and transfer yo my ssd.) Any ideas ?

I also saw a post that mention my ssd need to be boot and format before hand, would appreciate if anyone could explain further. Thanks !

Wulff
Level 9
Whenever you buy a new hard drive it will come unformatted yes, but i think it should work if you clone your current windows partition to the new drive yes, although if it was my own laptop i would do a clean install myself instead of just copying everything to the new one, but thats me

Wulff wrote:
Whenever you buy a new hard drive it will come unformatted yes, but i think it should work if you clone your current windows partition to the new drive yes, although if it was my own laptop i would do a clean install myself instead of just copying everything to the new one, but thats me

Clean install means without asus bloatware? Is this possible without windows installation disc ?
Thanks for replying btw !!

Wulff wrote:
although if it was my own laptop i would do a clean install myself instead of just copying everything to the new one, but thats me

I would second this. I don't like cloning, I had troubles with it before.

I would go for the clean install version by using ASUS Backtracker and a 16GB (or 32GB to be safe) flash drive. This will turn your flash drive into a bootable recovery drive that you can plug in to reinstall the windows 8 that comes with your laptop. This means that you will have the ROG Boot Logo and ASUS apps that came in with your laptop when you opened it for the first time after you install windows in your SSD through Backtracker.

If you want to install a retail version of Windows - which would remove the ASUS boot logo, and other ASUS built-in software - then you can only do that if you have a copy of a retail version of Windows that you can buy in a computer store (which costs like $200 for Windows 8.1 Pro). Doing this method removes the ASUS factory version of Windows 8 and you may never get it back unless your laptop came with a recovery disc (which mine did not) OR have backed up the factory version in a flash drive using ASUS Backtracker. That way, if you ever choose to go back to the ASUS version, you can always reinstall it by booting your flashdrive.

Wulff
Level 9
The boot logo is part of the uefi bios and will not be removed if you do a clean install of win8, and all the asus software that came with the laptop is available for download if you need it, so i didnt need to backup my asus factory settings with the weird size formatted hdd's and all 🙂 A installation disc for windows 8.1 is actually not that hard to find just make sure it is a reatail version instead of a volume license version (vl) if you download the retail version you can make a bootable usb with a program like rufus for example.

have a look here if you need some more information about it: http://forum.maxgeeks.net/showthread.php?t=165

gazzacbr
Level 10
@Wulff: +1, logo will always be there.

for original windows install its better if you can get the 'SL' (single language) version windows to do a clean install.
it will pick up the number from your bios as you install and automagically activate as soon as you are online.
clean install is always better than installing the standard (old) drivers and updating them all.
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16