cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm new here LEGIN27

LEGIN27
Level 7
Greetings everyone, As my thread title reads I'm new here at the ASUS ROG forums. I'm screen name LEGIN27 (Nigel) and I am a new ASUS G750JS owner as of today. I joined the forums a week or so ago in anticipation of my latest purchase and change over to the ASUS brand from SONY. Today I was finally able to purchase my new ASUS G750JS after weeks of working out then waiting for a refund for my last SONY 17 'inch laptop. Yep the resolve was bitter sweet as an accident I take it that took place at SONY's 3rd party repair Best Buy's "GEEKSQUAD" lead to my SONY laptop sustaining irreparable damage to the display unit while in repair for the Blu-Ray burner (who does that).

Like I said after a long and arduous process with both Best Buy and SONY. An agreement was reached to pay for in full and replace my laptop in warranty (VAIO computers are no longer sold in the US). So off I was to locate a high performance and durable laptop, and after getting over my brand crush with SONY I landed on what I have read so far to be the ultimate in a portable,powerful,desktop replacement, gaming/video editing, laptop pc. That is the ASUS G750 ROG series laptop pc. I am not a gamer but I simply enjoy video editing and archiving of my personal video collection. I will though have to consider some gaming at some point as this mid level G750JS aka "THE BEAST" was built to do just that.

My ASUS is on its way as of today. I did my research and had many things to consider in a truly powerful, portable laptop. My next choice after SONY was ASUS working with a $1300.00 replacement budget before upgrades and accessories. After careful consideration and watching numerous YOUTUBE video on the G750 ASUS model type I realized that ASUS had done what seemingly no other laptop brand of PC company had done, which was build a laptop packed with all anyone could want in a performance gaming laptop and with the ability to maintain your laptop and upgrade RAM, HDD/SSD space, and the display screen if needed, and all at a affordable price (Compared to an ORIGIN custom billed, oops I meant built laptop).

The cooling fans and RAM upgrade to 32GB sold me as other common brands like HP make some attractive power laptop pc configurations none did so without heat, which I deem is the enemy of any computer. Just as I was finalizing what would be my choice in a performance laptop pc, I decided to give COSTCO.com a look and man they had the best deal for an HP 17'inch performance laptop packed with a powerful attractive INTEL quad core processor and 2GB NVIDIA dedicated graphics card, 2TB of HDD space (dual bays), touch screen, 16GB of RAM and Blu-Ray player drive. Yes she was pretty and at the unbelievable price seen here: http://www.costco.com/HP-ENVY-TouchSmart-17t-Quad-Laptop-%7c-Intel-Core-i7-%7c-1080p-%7c-2GB-Graphic...

But after some research on the HP 17t series, I found they have been plagued with heat issues. Every review I could come across online iterated this to be an issue of concern as the the laptop casing is built with the typical side vents that blow heat and heat up the hand rest area of the laptop. Also the inability to upgrade RAM past 16GB was a concern as it pertains to possible future RAM upgrades. What I did like was the HDD space and equipped dual bay HDD's and the large 1 panel access to the underside of the computer or motherboard.

Yeah a series of consumer video reviews swayed me to purchase a laptop built to prevent unnecessary heat and was a proven performer with the ability to tweak pc configurations if needed...i.e. overclocking though I may never need to do so. The only flaw I saw in the ASUS G750 ROG series is the screen and that the access panel should be bigger to allow more access to the motherboard without having to unscrew the entire bottom panel.

So I had been lurking here at the forums and visiting AMAZON pre-purchase where I bought a SAMSUNG 840 EVO 1TB SSD a must in my eyes for any new laptop, I also purchased 4GB OEM HYNIX RAM card to add to the OEM 12GB RAM and lastly a LG BT30N BLU-RAY/BDXL and M-DISC burner/player. I was set to get the G750JM-DS71 model on AMAZON $1249.99(Prime) when I as I mentioned I chose to give COSTCO.com a visit and looking at the HP/ENVY with TouchSmart 17t Quad Laptop | Intel Core i7 | 1080p | 2GB Graphics | Blu-ray Player | Backlit Keyboard $1,099.99 After $450 OFF. I decided to see if ASUS was a brand being sold there and wow..there she was ASUS G75JS-RS71 http://www.costco.com/ASUS-G750JS-RS71-Laptop-%7c-Intel-Core-i7-%7c-3GB-Graphics-%7c-1080p-%7c-Backl... the scaled down version for $1,399.99 which was a great deal. I thought wow COSTCO is a better place to purchase with available svc and warranty options. I could also do a return if needed at a local COSTCO in-store location.

Now I have the 3GB dedicated NVIDIA GTX 870M, add on my upgrades and I'm set. So I ordered my ASUS today and I'm looking forward to chopping it up with ASUS ROG forum members seeking advice and yes contributing all that I can and as much as I can. Hey if anyone has any new user advice or suggestions for me please feel free to chime in as any and all insight is welcome. Thanx for listening.;) Oh and if all goes well i.e. time and all I'm looking to do an unboxing and SSD install video.
6 REPLIES 6

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi LEGIN27 and Welcome to ROG.

Congrats on your pending delivery. You will find plenty of help here for tips and tricks to keep your new laptop running smooth and the best of luck after your problem encounter.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

@MeanMachine,,,Thanx

Thanx!

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the ROG forums, Nigel.

Enjoy your stay. 😉