cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Hero / 4790K Temps and Voltages Help

Shulo
Level 7
Hey everyone!

For the first time in my 15+ year PC history, I opted to treat me a little extra with my new build, and so far, everything is working out great. Having never ever overclocked in my life, I do feel kind of scared by the way my Motherboard "simply does stuff" that I don't really understand (but would like to). Before I dive into the explanation, some key facts about the rig:

Core i7 4790K (Cooler: Alpenföhn Brocken 2)
Maximus VII Hero, 1104 Bios
Seasonic G-550 PCGH Edition

...I assume the rest of the specs don't really matter for my problem. So, as it stands, I loaded up the optimised BIOS settings after I flashed the BIOS to 1104. I noticed that this made my CPU go up to 4400MHz on all cores - which is the reason I got the K for - but I'm kind of scared by my core temps and voltages. I therefore adjusted my Fan settings via Bios to always run at 100% (which isn't really a problem with my 3 case fans and the cpu fan, as to me they are still barely noticeable). Idle temps are around 32-36°C.
Using the ROG Real Bench, my max core temp (measured with HWInfo) peaks at around 82-83°C, with the VCore running stable at 1.270V. What bugs me is the fact that:

a) I have no clue if that VCore isn't a bit too high
b) The temperature of the third core (i.e. fourth) is always 6-8°C lower than the others
c) The AI Suite 3 temp readout is around 70-72°C, so 10°C lower than HWinfo

Up until now, I've already reseated the CPU fan (after cleaning the cpu and reapplying thermal paste, of course), which didn't lead to any temperature improvements. Am I just worrying about nothing here? I've actually never had an Intel CPU after the P2, so I'm used to the AMD Temps, where 70°C already is critical.

Really hoping you can soothe my mind and also give me some advice (if needed). 🙂
40 REPLIES 40

kkn
Level 14
you can do trial and error and lower the voltages until you get a BSOD and then add a notch or 2 up again.
try not to use 2 monitoring programs ( even AIsuite is a monitor program ) witch will give you mixed readings since they are both communicating whit same parts.

Shulo
Level 7
I didn't use them at the same time; ran the Benchmark twice, once with HWInfo, once with AI Suite 3.
When you talk about lowering voltages, I assume you suggest I start with 1.270V VCore, and lower it by ~0.05V, run tests for stability and then rince and repeat until I get a BSOD, in which case I'll just up it once again?

Chino
Level 15
The i7-4790k automatically boost to 4.4GHz so it's quite normal that you are seeing that speed. About the vcore I'm not too sure since each CPU is different and uses a different voltage for each frequency. How did you update your BIOS?

Shulo
Level 7
I updated by downloading the BIOS from the support page, renaming it as instructed in the manual and used the EZ Flash tool in the BIOS.
Actually, I'm fine with the boardside overclock (which it has to be, since the i7 turbo only boosts up to two cores if I'm not mistaken, while it's constantly pushing all 4 cores to 4.4GHz), I just don't really know - or was unable to find out - if the Voltages are ok the way they got set, and if the temps aren't damaging anything. Again, it only goes over 75°C when the encoding of the Real Bench kicks in. While gaming I'm sitting at around 55°C, with random peaks to 62-65°C.

Chino
Level 15
Clear your CMOS for me. Then go into your BIOS and load the optimized defaults. Save and exit. When you get into your BIOS again, look at the vcore. It is suppose to say auto in the box beside. Post the voltage that the motherboard is applying.

Shulo
Level 7
Done. It say 1.088V to the left of the Auto setting. HWInfo still shows 1.270V being applied to cores @ 4.4GHz. Strangely enough, I now get an error that "ATKEX_cmd.exe" isn't working anymore upon windows logon. I assume that's got something to do with the audiodriver?

Chino
Level 15
Are you sure you're looking at the correct parameter in HWinfo? Easiest way is to download CPU-Z and look at the Core Voltage option on the first tab.

Yes, ATKEX_cmd.exe relates to the audio driver. Make sure you're downloading the latest Realtek drivers from the Asus website. Recheck to see if you're downloading the correct version for your OS. And when installing, give it administrator priviledges.

Chino wrote:
Are you sure you're looking at the correct parameter in HWinfo? Easiest way is to download CPU-Z and look at the Core Voltage option on the first tab.

CPU-Z also shows 1.270V @ 4.4GHz, 1.085V @ 4.GHz and 1.175V @ 4.2GHz.

Chino
Level 15