cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 Options

knotted
Level 7
Any recommendations for a 4 lane M.2 SSD? Also, reviews show that these drives can hit 113 degrees C. (From Puget Systems review of the Samsung XP941). Will the Rampage board stand up to these temps? The drive socket puts the M.2 SSD almost against the board.

Updated: After some research, the Samsung XP941 is the only 4 lane M.2 available now. Some people have reported problems booting from an M.2 drive. So, will the XP941 boot with the Rampage? And will it handle the heat these drives generate?
7 REPLIES 7

knotted
Level 7
OK, I decided to be the guinea pig. I ordered the Samsung XP941 and will try it in my Rampage board. The transfer rate is much higher than standard SATA 6GB so hopefully I'll notice some difference.

X-ROG
Level 15
We've got some Plextor M.2 drives to give away very soon! (next week I think)

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
We've got some Plextor M.2 drives to give away very soon! (next week I think)

Will this be a competition and if so open to UK residents? I have a SFF system with a M7G in it and really like the idea of an M.2 PCIe SSD, no cables = less clutter = 😄

Are these the Plextor M6e's?

Thanks

MeanMachine
Level 13
Ooooo! Give away's, Can I have one, Pretty Please, Iv'e been wanting to try a PCIe express card.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Menthol
Level 14
The plaxtor M6e works like a charm on my MVII Hero, it works great on my RIVE using the pcie adapter card. It is recognized in the bios and is a boot-able drive without the need to install any drivers, it just works. The Samsung XP941, is a pcie X4 and is faster but I am not sure it is bootable, it is quit expensive so I would do some research before purchase, whether you can RAID any of these as a bootable OS drive with one connected to the M.2 socket and another on the pcie adapter is another answer I don't have, I would like to explore a RAID setup no my X99 Deluxe board with two of these drives

I have my Samsung XP941 installed and yes, it is fully bootable.

Menthol
Level 14
knotted, thanks that is good to know