cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devils Canyon and z87 Issues

Stogie
Level 7
Hey guys,

So I just got done installing the new 1505 bios in my M6F for my new 4790k. I followed the instructions from the original news post on this site. I also decided to take this opportunity to redo all the storage in my rig.. After getting the new bios I reinstalled all the hardware as well as the new 4790k , new x2 Corsair Force GT 240GB ssds and a large HDD. Posting went fine, it showed the new 1505 bisos as well as the 4790k running at 4.00 so I proceeded to create a Raid 0 for my 2 ssd's.

After creating the Raid 0 for my boot drive I continued on to installing Win 7 pro. This process went smooth as well as installing all the necessary drivers for the rig. I even installed Steam and GPU Tweak.

First issue... I had problems installing AI Suite 3. When it did install its only part of the utility. I get the bottom 4 boxes that show cpu freq, cpu volts and fan speeds. The top of the utility where the fan expert and 4 way opt is just a blank screen. I did try going into the control panel and uninstalling AI Suite3. When I do that it prepares to uninstall but nothing happens. I wait 10 min and still nothing. If I click uninstall again it tells me to wait until another program uninstalls. It also shows nothing in the file size area.

Second Issue... I cant install any of the other Asus utility's like AI Charger, Wi-Fi Go etc.. I tried getting them from Asus site as well as the disc's. It runs them like they're installing but the app is nowhere to be found. Only the file folder.

Third Issue... I went in to the bios and set my xmp, when I did that it ran the cpu volts up to 1.264v-1.320v and the system started crashing after 10min. I then go back into the bios and load optimal settings and its shuts off my Raid0. I then have to turn the Raid back on and setup the boot priority again. That may be normal?

Fourth Issue... I have a ROG Front Base, when I went to install the audio drivers for it I had problems. I finally got audio working through the headphone jacks but I noticed the Front Base showing incorrect info. Like showing I have fans running at 2500 rpm but yet the fans its controlling are barely turning. I turn the fan rpm up all the way from the Front Base and it works but then after I do a restart they are back down danger low.

This mobo has always had something screwy about it. I have to use a 3pin fan plugged into cpu_fan1 and a 4pin plugged into cpu_opt in order to use my H100i. If I use 2 4pin fans, the fan that's plugged into cpu_opt will run at twice the rpm as the cpu_fan1. And thats with the profile set to AUTO. So I found using a 3pin fan in cpu_fan1 set at ADVANCED is the only way to have control. I always control my fans by rpm through AI Suite 3. But that's not an option now.

Anybody know what I did wrong? I would sure appreciate some advice, I'm a little freaked out that I may have to buy a new mobo. Thank you
20 REPLIES 20

Nate152
Hello Stogie

I never did a raid setup but I read that when installing your OS, you need to have just 1 ssd installed. Once you get your OS installed add the 2nd ssd and enable raid.

Chino
Level 15
Before we start looking at your present problems, please list your complete specifications for me. Also I would like to know a little more about your system before the upgrade. Was it overclocked? And how did you update the BIOS?

Chino wrote:
Before we start looking at your present problems, please list your complete specifications for me. Also I would like to know a little more about your system before the upgrade. Was it overclocked? And how did you update the BIOS?

System Specs Pre Upgrade:
Intel i7 4770k "Not over clocked"
Asus Maximus VI Formula Bios 1402
Asus ROG Matrix Platinum 780Ti
Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 2400MHz
Asus ROG RaidR Express 240GB SSD
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
Hitachi 7200 rpm 500GB HDD
Corsair H80i
Corsair 860i
Asus ROG Front Base
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit

System Specs Currently:
Intel i7 4790k
Asus Maximus VI Formula Bios 1505
Asus ROG Matrix Platinum 780Ti
Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 2400MHz
Asus ROG RaidR Express 240GB SSD
Corsair Force GT x2 240GB in Raid 0
WD Black 7200rpm 2TB HDD
Hitachi 7200 rpm 500GB HDD
Corsair H100i
Corsair 860i
Asus ROG Front Base
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit

I didn't actually do the procedure myself. I had a friend that knows far more then myself do it as I watched and helped.

This is how we did it.
Downloaded the bios updater and used the bios renamer to change the name. Placed the renamed update on a Fat32 thumb drive then plugged it into the ROG Connect slot on back of the board.

Removed the 4770k and unplugged everything else.
Plugged in the 24pin
Did a Clear CMOS
Held down the ROG Connect button until it was done flashing.
Powered downed the machine.
Installed the 4790k as well as my new drives and H100i
Posted
In bios we saw it was running 1505 bios and recognizing the 4790k
Created a Raid 0
Installed Win 7

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at this.

Chino wrote:

Hey Chino, is this enough info? Let me know what else you might need. Thanks

Chino
Level 15
Hello, mate.

Sorry. I forgot all about this thread. LOL

Let's take this one step at a time.

1. Clear your CMOS.
2. Go into your BIOS and load the optimized defaults again.
3. Configure your RAM manually. There is a guide in my signature if you need help.
4. Save and restart.
5. Go back in the BIOS and check if the RAM has be configured to 2400MHz and the CPU voltage is on Auto and not at that crazy voltage you saw earlier.
6. If all is good, setup your RAID 0 again and boot to Windows.

Chino wrote:
Hello, mate.

Sorry. I forgot all about this thread. LOL

Let's take this one step at a time.

1. Clear your CMOS.
2. Go into your BIOS and load the optimized defaults again.
3. Configure your RAM manually. There is a guide in my signature if you need help.
4. Save and restart.
5. Go back in the BIOS and check if the RAM has be configured to 2400MHz and the CPU voltage is on Auto and not at that crazy voltage you saw earlier.
6. If all is good, setup your RAID 0 again and boot to Windows.

No worries man. Before I use the clear CMOS button again, what Is the proper way to use it for what I'm attempting? Cause of the current condition of the rig I'm worried I didn't do the clear CMOS properly the first time..Thanks man

Chino
Level 15
It's pretty simple. Shutdown your system. Then press the Clear CMOS button at the rear panel. It's the one with a circular arrow.

Chino wrote:
It's pretty simple. Shutdown your system. Then press the Clear CMOS button at the rear panel. It's the one with a circular arrow.

Cool. So now I'm trying to set my timings for my ram. It seems my board has a few more features then the Hero. I just wanna make sure I do this right.

What should I have MAXIMUS Tweak set to, AUTO, MODE , MODE 2?

I noticed in your ram tutorial the pic shows your DRAM Command CHA: 1, CHB: 2. and you set it to 2.. On my board it shows CHA: 2, CHB 2. What do I need to set it too? Its set to AUTO now.

Also below that I still have Latency Command Rate A and Latency Command Rate B and they are set at AUTO and Latency Compensator witch is set at AUTO as well.

Thanks

Chino
Level 15
Yeah, the Formula is a higher end motherboard than the Hero. That's why it has more options when it comes to tweaking.

You can leave the other options at default. Just change the settings that are shown in my guide. Regarding the DRAM Command Rate, set it to 2. Most, if not all, memory kits has a command rate of 2 by default.