cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viable surround options with PG278Q in the equation?

mindsignals
Level 9
I have my PG278Q on backorder and expect it to arrive in September. I'm also spec'ing out a new X99 system.
Obviously, I know I'll be able to achieve optional use of G-Sync or 3D Vision (or neither) at any given time on one PG278Q at WQHD/1440p resolution. I'm leaning toward the Titan Black for 6 GB video memory and know the video card must have a display port on it.

Beyond this, it gets very unclear w/r to planning ahead for surround gaming. From what Nvidia says, G-Sync surround gaming is not currently supported. From ASUS' FAQ, surround gaming (with G-Sync?) would only be supported with three PG278Q monitors and three identical NVidia cards since the primary card in SLI would only have one or two display ports at most. Thus, it also implies the cards would not be in SLI so that each card could talk to one PG278Q.

However, if I understand correctly, unless windowed, a game will not broadcast across multiple screens unless the OS treats it as one screen. With multiple monitors treated independently though (rather than extended as one giant desktop), wouldn't a full-screen fail to utilize all three screens hooked up independently (without SLI)? Or would that only apply to G-Sync?

Is it also an option to use at least two cards in SLI whereby the PG278Q uses the displayport and two other WQHD monitors would use DVI (presumably capped at 60hz)? If this is possible, I presume you would have to unplug those two monitors each time you wanted to utilize G-Sync or Nvidia 3D on the supported PG278Q?
2 REPLIES 2

kkn
Level 14
for surround gaming you need 3 graphic cards to run 3 monitors.

take a look at this video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_FzXxGVNi4

as per now its drivers that have to be tweaked for it to work.

Thanks! I had not seen that link previously; very helpful!

kkn wrote:
for surround gaming you need 3 graphic cards to run 3 monitors.

take a look at this video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_FzXxGVNi4

as per now its drivers that have to be tweaked for it to work.