cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Ranger and Q-Code 99

xDarksideAngelx
Level 7
Hi guys,

Just started a new pc build (and new to PC building myself) with the Maximus VII Ranger mobo. I installed it into the case and put in the CPU, the CPU cooler, my two memory sticks and the power supply. Though I would power it on just to ensure it was working at that point. It seemed to boot fine, can get into BIOS and my CPU and memory are both showing under the respective menus in the BIOS. So I thought everything was going good until I seen the Q-Code LED on the mobo showing the number 99.

In the manual the Q-Code 99 means a Super IO Initialization, which to be honest doesn't mean much to me. The BIOS runs with no issue that I can see and the components I have in seem to be running fine too. So should I be worried about the code and can anyone elaorate to me what it means? Any help would be appreciated.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger
CPU: Intel i7 4790k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
Memory: Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos SE

Also as a side question, according to the BIOS, the cpu is running at 31oC-34oC. Is that a suitable temperature for the CPU to be at?
75 REPLIES 75

Nate152
Hello xDarksideAngelx, Welcome to the ROG forum.

Cpu temps are great idling at 31c-34c.

Do you have a gpu installed?

If not make sure your monitor cable is connected to the correct port on the motherboard.

Congratulations on building your own for the first time. It's lots of fun isn't it?

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Until you have a bootable device attached I would not worry about any of the Q-Codes displayed as long as everything seems fine when in the UEFI.

Nate152

Thanks for getting in touch guys, it sure is great building for the first time.

I just have the components listed above installed at the moment. So no GPU or bootable devices yet. As soon as I seen that code I stopped from adding anything else in. But I will continue with the build and hopefully get everything in today and see if any other q codes appear. Thanks for the help guys.

Nate152
you're welcome,

If you need help or have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Since this is your first time building a pc, I will give you some pointers. You may or may not know this but just in case.

Step 1:
Installing your operating system:

Insert the operating system installation cd/dvd into your optical drive, then reboot your pc.

In the bios go to the boot tab and select your optical drive as your first boot device, then F10 and Enter.

Your pc will boot up and with a few clicks of your mouse installation begins. No need to format your SSD as it is brand new but you still can if you want. After installing your operating system go back into the bios to the boot tab and select your SSD as the first boot device. F10 and Enter.

Step 2: Follow this in the order written. if you have any questions here stop and ask.

Install the LAN driver from the motherboard cd/dvd.

Go to the asus support/driver page.

http://support.asus.com/Download/Options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1 ( In the search box type in maximus vii ranger, click search, then click on it when it shows and select your operating system.)

Install the chipset driver for your motherboard first. ( It will tell you to reboot to finish the installation ) You will be prompted to install the Akamai net session driver. Do this and the chipset driver will continue to download. Save this in your downloads folder and install it from there.

Then install the usb driver, and the Intel Management Engine Interface driver. ( Save these 2 in downloads folder and install from there )

If you are using speakers for sound, install the realtek audio driver. if using a headset with the jacks on the front of your pc case, you don't need the realtek audio driver.

Anything else is pretty much optional.

After this, install the graphics driver for your gtx 780 from the Nvidia website. ( 340.52 is the latest )
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Install all the windows updates. ( the optional updates are up to you )

Your pc will now be ready for operation.

Step 3:

3 things I will recommend to install.

1) EVGA Precision X ( overclocking tool for your GTX 780, shows gpu temp, you can set a fan profile and has on screen display to show information about your GTX 780 while gaming )

2) Real Temp 3.70 ( cpu temperature monitoring program )

3) CPU - Z ( cpu frequency and voltage monitoring program )

Step 4:
Disable disk defragmenter.

Hi guys

Just making sure this is normal. So I installed my graphics card (evga gtx 780). Turn it on, the q-code briefly flashes B2 (legacy Rom initialisation) and then goes back to 99 and then the Bios loads as normal. A single beep noise is also made. Is this okay before I continue?

Nate152
Yes, continue and install your SSD and your optical drive.

Did code 99 disappear?

Be sure to connect your monitor cable to your gtx 780 and the pcie power cables are connected.

The 99 code is still there, displays as it did before the I installed the gpu. I'm guessing its because I have no boot option available still? And I am now using a gpu port to connect my monitor, seems to working fine. 😄

Nate152
Ok this is good so far. If you have an SSD install it and your optical drive.