Level 8
Model: ASUS X501A-XX476H

Bios version: 213

CPU: Intel Pentium 2020m 2.4ghz

Memory amount in GB: 4

GPU: Onboard Integrated

HDD: 750gb

AC Adapter: Original

Operating system: Original ASUS factory image (just updated to Windows 8.1 a few weeks ago)

Microsoft Activated: (not sure how to check)

Drivers Installed: only ASUS approved notebook drivers and all windows updates

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: no

System Overclocked: no

Any hardware upgraded: no

Please also note I am no longer under warranty.

Issue: I was using the computer as usual and I lent on the power button accidentally with my hand, it turned off without closing down properly (just went straight off as I had been leaning on it for over 5 seconds) and when I turned it on again it was stuck it the bios (Aptio setup utility). Now every time I turn it on it just goes straight into the bios and just goes straight back every time I try to exit it. 40657
Please help this laptop is my life. It was a huge investment for me and I need it to complete college work. I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me. Thank you
3 REPLIES 3

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

Suggest contacting your local ASUS support for faster service at the page below, but you may want to check back if they aren't able to help (if you can let us know how it turns out either way, that would be great).
http://www.asus.com/support/callus

Anyway, had some ideas below you may want to check later too.

1. Under the bios 'advanced' page check under 'SATA configuration' to make sure you still see your hard drive listed which indicates your notebook is detecting it okay.

2. Hopefully your hard drive is still detected by the bios, try checking under 'boot' to confirm you see the Windows Boot Manager listed first, or change the boot order and save and exit.
If this doesn't work, you may want to reload your default bios settings if there aren't any settings you think you need to be concerned about, save and exit and check the earlier steps again.

If it's still not working, try going under the 'security' page to disable Secure Boot/Secure Boot Control and enabling Launch CSM under the boot menu which normally would only be required if you were running Win7, but thought you may want to give it a try anyway.

Well, hope this helps and good luck!

cl-Albert wrote:
Hi,

Suggest contacting your local ASUS support for faster service at the page below, but you may want to check back if they aren't able to help (if you can let us know how it turns out either way, that would be great).
http://www.asus.com/support/callus

Anyway, had some ideas below you may want to check later too.

1. Under the bios 'advanced' page check under 'SATA configuration' to make sure you still see your hard drive listed which indicates your notebook is detecting it okay.

2. Hopefully your hard drive is still detected by the bios, try checking under 'boot' to confirm you see the Windows Boot Manager listed first, or change the boot order and save and exit.
If this doesn't work, you may want to reload your default bios settings if there aren't any settings you think you need to be concerned about, save and exit and check the earlier steps again.

If it's still not working, try going under the 'security' page to disable Secure Boot/Secure Boot Control and enabling Launch CSM under the boot menu which normally would only be required if you were running Win7, but thought you may want to give it a try anyway.

Well, hope this helps and good luck!

Hello,

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.
I will try to call asus later but from the impression I get from other people experiencing similar problems asus support don't seem to be of much help. I went through your steps but I didn't have much luck, I went to the SATA Configuration (as requested) and this is what came up: 40659
I also checked under boot (as requested) and this is what came up: 40660
Does this mean there is something wrong with my hard drive then?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

I might want to discuss the call center some other time, but just another option that may be able to help solve the problem especially if it's a common issue they are aware of.

It probably doesn't make a difference this time, but I'm located in the U.S. and always worried that customers may have something slightly different with their units that I haven't seen or heard of before.

Anyway, thanks for the screenshots and it doesn't look right to me that your SATA Mode Selection says 'IDE'.
You should also see an option for 'AHCI' and can you try this option (save and exit the bios after selecting it) if you don't see any other options under the SATA Mode Selection (like RAID which I don't expect you will see for your unit).

Thanks and good luck!