cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixed Nvidia cards for 3 x PG278Q ok or not?

mindsignals
Level 9
I have my PG278Q on order and am considering two more for surround. However, in the interests of conserving money would it work if I ran the two surround panels each on a 3GB 780ti and the main on a 6GB Titan? Obviously, since these must run off the displayport, none of the cards would be SLI. However, I don't know if the drivers would prevent it from operating in this manner (at least with G-Sync).

Alternatively, can the surround panels be 120 hz 2560 x 1440 panels? Or would the peripheral panels being different from the main be too large of a drawback? If I wanted to use 3D surround, would it work in that scenario (if all 3 are 120+ hz capable) since the cards would not be in SLI?

I have not used SLI before, so I'm not sure of all the restrictions although I have read through the information I've been able to find.

Also, where are the driver patches posted that would enable nvidia surround on 3 x PG278Q?
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hello mindsignals

Yes you can mix nvidia graphics cards for multiple monitor displays but you can't SLI them. If all three monitors are 120hz, I wouldn't see why you couldn't do that.

I don't think there are any patches for 3d surround, It's already with the nvidia driver, you just set it up in the nvidia control panel.

Thanks, Nate.
I appreciate it!

Nate152 wrote:
Hello mindsignals

Yes you can mix nvidia graphics cards for multiple monitor displays but you can't SLI them. If all three monitors are 120hz, I wouldn't see why you couldn't do that.

I don't think there are any patches for 3d surround, It's already with the nvidia driver. You just set it up in the nvidia control panel.

kkn
Level 14
for sli you have to run the same cards as in slot 1 to work.
as of now its drivers they have to fix to get things stable and working i surround.

kkn wrote:
for sli you have to run the same cards as in slot 1 to work.
as of now its drivers they have to fix to get things stable and working i surround.

Using the PG278Q is a hit or miss in SLI at the moment?

kkn
Level 14
im not shure, but its the drivers.
i havent seen enny one on here that i know of that runs surround whit em so far, exept the video posted in another link in this section.

kkn wrote:
im not shure, but its the drivers.
i havent seen enny one on here that i know of that runs surround whit em so far, exept the video posted in another link in this section.

OK thanks... I will keep searching or will answer this when mine shows up at my doorstep

NavasC
Level 7
You cannot run them in SLI with Surround, because you can't use DP from each video card to power them *and* SLI. This is a driver limitation that NVIDIA is looking at fixing, since the narrow bezels make them great to advertise for Surround, and you'd need 3 cards to power a game at that resolution in surround, and definitely need that power for 3D Surround, since these monitors are capable of 1440p 3D, not just 1080p 3D.I'm not sure if they will work with Surround in your suggested configuration (1x Titan and 2x 780 Tis) to be honest. I'm not quite sure I've ever seen/heard of someone trying that..Not just any 120 Hz 1440P panel can be used for 3D Surround either. It has to be a supported 3D Vision monitor, to my knowledge, but I could be wrong.

kkn
Level 14
on SLI you need 3 cards of the same, like 3x 780ti or 3x titan black's.
mix 1 titan black and 2x 780 ti's will not work in sli.
they MAY work in non sli but no guarantee at all from my side.
if you look at the vid posted in a link "surround live demo" they have a 1+ hour talk about the swift and g-sync and another thing.

only GPU's that can be mixed by generation is AMD, nvidia does not work like that.

It would be the same generation, but I'm thinking about 3 x PG278Q with 1 Titan and 2 x 780ti driving the surrounds (none of the three would be in SLI). However, if it seems iffy w/r to whether or not it would work with the sides being driven by a 3 GB card (each), it may make more sense to hold off.

I don't know if I'll like the 3D effect or not, so the main driving factors for me are 1440p, G-Sync, Surround, and then 3D in that order of precedence.

I did watch that video referenced above in the thread (provided as a response to my first posted question on the forums) in its entirety and it was very clear that the cards can't be run in SLI for surround (unless you have 4 cards...maybe) as 3 cards must each be dedicated individually for the display ports as noted in a prior reply due to that being the only port (that can drive the PG278Q's resolution and maximum frequency).