Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

M4 x16 DIN7991 are the screws you want...( This straight from Rok Dolinar RMA department).

I have fitted them to new Supremacy EVO block and hand ground them a 10th of a mm and this is what this block should look like! And no problem mounting.

Attachment 40836

Attachment 40837

Attachment 40838

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Lenovo Thinkpad T410
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair V Formula - Z
    ProcessorAMD FX 9590
    Memory (part number)BLE2KIT8G3D1869DE1TX0 (8-8-8-24, 1866 MHz)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS R9 390 STRIX (OC, GAMING)
    Storage #1SG Constellation 6 TB (6x1 TB) RAID 0
    Storage #2SG Constellation 2 TB (2x2 TB) RAID 1
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseCaseLabs STH-10
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    Mouse Microsoft Sidewinder X5
    Headset Logitech G930
    Mouse Pad Perixx 900x440x3 mm + Steelseries 320x270x3 mm + ALLSOP hard pad
    Headset/Speakers Logitech G930/Altec Lansing 5.1
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)

1. I keep a small mirror for in-case, operational, inspections. A dental mirror works, but I like my telescoping mirror (Harbor Freight Tools, $5).

2. I thought, for a few posts there, that you were going to use this as an excuse to de-lid and run without the CPU cover plate. HAHA

Z
    Resistance is futile (at <1 Ohm).

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array twisted1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Menthol View Post
    Nice pics you guys, like the copper myself, the worn discolored well used look.
    Arne,
    Is there any way you can set your CPU on something with the block setting on top and get a picture where the screw heads make contact with the CPU showing the gap between the CPU lid and block? Or the block upside down with the CPU setting on the block not making contact, whatever makes the best photo. Very interested to see that
    Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    Twisted1! Yes, very clear there. I think that even without studs you would be able to check for the problem if you have a 2011 socket and CPU. Use the spread method to apply a real thin layer and even hand holding block on CPU you will notice it does not make contact so much with CPU as with surrounding socket.

Menthol, it is difficult to get a photo of this in situ on the 2011 block since the VRM is in the way "north", I/O shield in the way "west", rampage lit heatsink in the way "south"...
    Maybe if I remove RAM and 24pin PCIe from east side I can show the screws making contact with socket?....I will give it a go.

What I can do is show the difference in the contact pattern of the block with the CPU as defined by the contact with TIM...that is very clear. If you use the spread method to make a very thin layer it shows clearly.The point is, that if you use the blob method you will get the block to spread the TIM and your idle temps will be normal but your load temps will be higher than they should be because of course the layer of TIM is thicker than it should be and the contact bad. At 4.4GHz my load temps are 55 max. With bad contact they were reaching 75...so if you don't know what you are looking for you might think your cooling is OK just not great...but of course for OCing the block is useless.

Bad paint drawing for bad contact...but you get the idea I guess

Attachment 40796

Screws properly countersunk

Attachment 40797
    I've got a RIVE and a 3930k. I can just pull the VRM water block off the RIVE and there should be no problem testing and getting a good picture. I'll pull the block appart and get a pic of the screws as well.

However if this would affect all supremacy/evo blocks one thinks that other people would have had this problem before. Maybe the socket is slightly different on the RIVEBE? It's clear though that the screws are sticking out quite a bit on my block, it looks like the screws are not tightened enough on my pictures but believe me they are

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

Quote Originally Posted by twisted1 View Post
    I've got a RIVE and a 3930k. I can just pull the VRM water block off the RIVE and there should be no problem testing and getting a good picture. I'll pull the block appart and get a pic of the screws as well.

However if this would affect all supremacy/evo blocks one thinks that other people would have had this problem before. Maybe the socket is slightly different on the RIVEBE? It's clear though that the screws are sticking out quite a bit on my block, it looks like the screws are not tightened enough on my pictures but believe me they are
    That would be great Twisted...

I do get your point but really there is some tolerance in everything and if the design of this block allows for no tolerance in the height of the IHS above the 2011 socket then it is flawed in my opinion.

I can imagine a case where the tolerance of the screw height out of the block is minimal and the IHS above the socket is maximal and would present no problem...but the opposite obviously will cause problems as in my case and frankly looking at the spec from intel I think a good design would eliminate the screws from the plane of the cold-plate...something that happens on all other CPU blocks.

As I said, some contact is made and minimal contact with TIM will cool the CPU but the temperatures will not be the same as optimum contact and not what you want for overclocking...many people might not realize they have less than optimal contact and cooling.

Here are some pics of my supremacy on the RIVE, I can't test the temps though, the rive is dead :/

Block just sitting on board.

Block with pressure on block.

Amount of thermal paste applied.

Spread pattern.

A very non scientific test with some thermal paste on the cold plate screws.

The layer of thermal paste was pretty thick so this doesn't really prove anything.

The block did stick to the cpu pretty good, but that doesn't mean the contact was perfect. When I get a new RIVE or if I get this one working I'll test what kind of temps I get. My humble opinion after just testing this is that the contact seemed ok ant the cold plate screws didn't seem to put to much pressure on the socket.
    Last edited by twisted1; 09-09-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

Thanks for giving it a look Twisted1...certainly your contact looks better than mine, I would have been interested in temps...but dead RIVE :'( that's sad..

I would say though that center contact seems OK but around that looks a bit iffy? How thick did you put thermal paste on the screws to get it on the socket?

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    Thanks for giving it a look Twisted1...certainly your contact looks better than mine, I would have been interested in temps...but dead RIVE :'( that's sad..

I would say though that center contact seems OK but around that looks a bit iffy? How thick did you put thermal paste on the screws to get it on the socket?
    The RIVE was on RMA, but they claimed a pin was bent in the socket. Which is wierd as I never touched the block or cpu when the RIVE died the first time. Anyway they fixed the pin and I got a working card back. And one day suddenly PCI-E slot 1 stopped working, and a few days after that it died and all I get now is code 00. I've identified one pin in the socket that's not ok, will try repairing it again and if that doesn't work I'll get a new one.

The thermal paste was pretty thick. I'll try it again with a really thin layer of paste.

I did use very little thermal paste on the cpu, less then I would have used if I was going to mount it for use. Will test again with more paste. But when I moved the block around I could feel the screws bumping the socket, but when I applied even pressure it seemed like the screws didn't touch the socket. But again, I can't say for sure without actually testing the temps.

Btw. have you checked so your socket is not loose? Don't think that's the case but checking doesn't hurt

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

No, the socket and ILM are both OK...

Intel list the tolerance of the IHS above the plane of the MB as +/- 0.34mm IMO that doesn't leave you the option of using up that tollerance with 0.5 to 0.75mm of screw head...

Maybe it's just me..but I can't imagine that's the case and I have been told by EK the wrong screw type was fitted so..

My supreme HF good contact, 380i good contact, Supremacy with replacement screws..good contact. Supremacy as left the factory horrible contact hence me calling foul on the design...

By the way that cat poo gelid is horrible stuff in my opinion...dries out real quick...get some P-K1 on there

If the tolerance is 0.34mm it's pretty clear, those screws stick out way more than that.

Just got the message that I'll be getting my money back on a M5E that I sent in for RMA, extra $$ for mobo. Hmm, maybe a RIVEBE. Although I do have the waterblocks for the RIVE. Hmm

Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?

Quote Originally Posted by twisted1 View Post
    Just got the message that I'll be getting my money back on a M5E that I sent in for RMA, extra $$ for mobo. Hmm, maybe a RIVEBE. Although I do have the waterblocks for the RIVE. Hmm
    Sounds good...choices choices

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast