Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

VI Formula error code 00 , i7 4770k

Hi,

I have seen some other people with this problem but no official way to fix it?

When I first setup this computer it worked fine for 2-3 months, then randomly one day would not boot. Light stuck at CPU, showing 00 error code. I reseated the CPU and upgraded the cooler from stock to an h100i, and everything worked again.

Now, 2 weeks later, the problem has reappeared. I tried reseating the CPU again, and it didn't fix it this time. Any suggestions?

Specs:
    i7 4770k
    Maximus VI Formula
    256gb SSD
    CM v550
    8gb Ripjaws

Thanks,
    Andrew

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

While reseating the CPU, did you check the socket for any bent or missing pins? If not, I'd recommend you do so now.

ROG Member Array

I checked extensively and none of the pins are bent and nothing looks out of the ordinary with the socket.

Do you have the Combo Card installed? If so, try removing it and see if it works.

ROG Member Array

I did have it installed, but uninstalling it didn't have any effect on the problem

ROG Member Array

Ok so I got frustrated enough that I took my whole computer apart yet again, minus reseating the cpu (I've done this 5 times now...). I built it back on the motherboard box and can boot now. So this leads me to believe there is some short in my build? I have built quite a few pcs and never had shorting issues and keep my builds tight. Any thoughts on what to look for or watch out for while rebuilding?

Make sure you are lining up the motherboard holes with the case standoffs correctly. And that your motherboard doesn't touch the case in any way.

ROG Enthusiast Array wa3pnt PC Specs
    wa3pnt PC Specs
    MotherboardFormulas VII
    Processori7-4790
    Graphics Card #1Poseidon
    MonitorPlanar 27" Touch & Sony 27"
    Storage #1Intel 500GB SSD
    Storage #2(3) Intel 250GB SSDs
    CPU CoolerWater
    CaseCL S8
    Power SupplyRM1000
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterNumerous Netgear

I experienced the same thing with my VI Extreme.

Code 00. Was going to RMA, and ordered another board in the interim. Before sending the defective board in, I scrutinized the back side of the board and found a little sliver of metal in the vicinity of one of the mounting holes. Plucked that off the MB, and it has been fine since.

Perhaps ASUS should recommend that insulating washers be used between the MB and the mounts. I used them when I remounted the MB in the case.

OBTW, I now have just what I always wanted. A spare VI Extreme. LOL

RodeoGeorge

ROG Member Array

We'll it errored out again sitting on cardboard so now I'm at a loss. I'll look really closely and try to find any metal around the mounts

While testing it on the cardboard box, are you using the stock heatsink or the H100i?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast