cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox One (HDMI) via HDMI2DP to Asus PG278Q

Myst3ri0n
Level 7
I know I use this monitor primarily for my 780Ti Rig, however out of curiosity and laziness, want to use the monitor for console gaming as well with the Xbox One.

I have tried using the Startech HDMI2DP with the Xbox One and HDMI, however all I get is a light black screen then the monitor sleeps.
This adapter is active, however only goes up to 1900x1200 res, which should cover the 1080P* from the Xbox One signal but is far from 2560x1440

Interestingly enough, from the 780 Ti's HDMI to this adapter it does the same thing, regardless of the resolution I set the PC at.

Is this a possibility or am I just wasting my time trying to get it to work?
Is there any other product on the market to get the less than desirable HDMI signal to work on DP?
9 REPLIES 9

kkn
Level 14
cant be done.
consoles only does 60hz and hdmi.
swift only does dp only.

kkn wrote:
cant be done.
consoles only does 60hz and hdmi.
swift only does dp only.

Yes, you are correct in saying that the console is putting out 1080P@60Hz however, it is connecting through the HDMI2DP Active Converter (Startech) to the display port cable and then to the PG278Q

It's evident that the Swift has 1920x1080P@60Hz mode and the converters limit is 1900x1200@60Hz
Theoretically it should work, however it's just a black screen.

Myst3ri0n
Level 7
Anybody from Asus have any input on this issue? Ideas, reasons why it won't work, things to try, if it's a literal impossibility?

JGKarlin
Level 7
I'm curious if my Xbox One will work on the monitor too. I know it won't support the special features of the monitor, but it shouldn't it function at 1080p 60Hz?

Before connecting the monitor to the PG278Q, how did you setup the display settings on the Xbox One? Did you try setting it to HDMI, rather than AUTO, and then configure it to 1080p? This should force it to send the correct signal.

Fluffy
Level 7
From what I've heard, Asus officially does not support support doing this.

The official line is "•We do not recommend using an HDMI to DP adapter as this is not qualified or supported in Nvidia drivers."

I would definitely like this kind of functionality, but I'm not sure if it is something that Nvidia can patch in to the drivers. The technology is still new so kinks going into this, but hopefully we will see some of this functionality in the future as displayport becomes more common.

NavasC
Level 7
Remember - the DisplayPort is directly attached to the GSYNC module. It's why the monitor only has DP in. Unlike any standard monitor scaler, it probably has no idea what to do with a converted HDMI signal, because even those don't look "the same" as a native DP signal, digitally, the GSync Module probably has a hard time recognizing it as a valid DP signal.

The PG278Q does not have a scaler and only accepts 2560x1440 input. Even if you used an active HDMI to DisplayPort adapter, it won't work at the 1080p resolution from a console. An active HDMI to DisplayPort adapter would only work on a PC that can output 2560x1440 via HDMI, and it would need to be a "4K" active adapter that outputs DisplayPort 1.2 at least. When you choose a lower resolution on the PC with the PG278Q, it's performing GPU scaling no matter what it says.

Crashcourse316
Level 9
I had the same issue with running xbox to the pg279q and that has HDMI input.

I needed to change the xbox to 720p resolution
changed the settings for color to RGB I think
and changed the color depth to 24-bit

That's what worked for me I think. After it was working I tried a few different settings and it seemed that if any of those settings were not what I posted it did not work. the Image was playable but since it was 720p being put into 1440p worth of pixels is looked a little "fuzzy".

heres the page explaining each option

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/adjust-display-settings

Also I'm not sure why this was resurrected from more than two years ago.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.