cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need guide to OC 4790K on M7F

DonWuLFF
Level 7
Hi, I have post for this on Z87 mobo,if that can help to describe anything.

I just change from M6F,still using H100i and change my 4790K batch,using the same setting. But before that,default bios,run Heaven benchmark,temps reach 60 and what I notice is,the core voltage reach 1.26-1.28(default bios setting,no adjust). Is that normal?
Then I tried prime95,temps 80-90,with default setting. Vcore is high as I mention earlier,then I restart and into bios,set core voltage to 1.25 and cpu core ration to 44.
Run the prime,temps still high. Re-do the bios setting,set core voltage to 1.20,temps down a bit but still in 80-90 range.

Question is,can I set lower core voltage? Any setting for me to start from?
253 REPLIES 253

cstkl1
Level 7
run optimize setting in bios . save and reload.
check whats ure vcore. thats ure vid

4.4ghz is 0.096v more of that vid voltage. example mine was 1.04v. so setting manual vcore to 1.04+0.096=1.136v .. was my 4.4ghz. Tested up to 4.7ghz and it still is. (Tested on 8cpu's and was true for m6e)

for 4790k. each 100mhz increase by 0.048v for asus.

vccin try to maintain 0.4v more than vcore. Forget about fairy tales of ppl telling you to run at 1.9v-2.2v. Its compensating for lack of voltage cache/ioa/iod/vccsa which really gets affected by this overvolt.

try 4.4ghz and move from there. Asus auto setting works well.

for mem test i advice trying prime 27.9 set custom max/min fft 128, max mem ( set 1.5gb less than ure max)
for overall test prime 28.5 set custom fft 144 max mem ( test ure switching frequency, ioa/iod etc .. most ppl fail this and hence y their x264 test always bsod)

aida for overall stability.

haswell most of the issue ppl are having are not vcore/vccin related. but they overvolt this to compensate and get temporary stability till the issue crops up down the road.

do all testing in diagnostic mode, ssd/hdd ( write cache disable) so it doesnt corrupt ure OS.

i7 4790k@4.7ghz 1.28v||Asus Maximus VI Extreme||Zotac GTX Titan X Sli||Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 4x8gb 10-12-12-31-1T||Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb x 2 + Crucial MX100 512gb x 2||Creative Soundblaster Zx||WD Black 2tb & 2x1tb||Ek Supremacy Nickel Acetal+EK M6e Nickel Acetal+EK Titan X Nickel Acetal + Ek Red Backplate+Ek Dual D5 Top & 150 X3 Res+HWLABS GTX Nemesis 560+280+6xNoctua Redux 1500rpm||Corsair AX1200+Corsair Red Sleeves||Silverstone Temjin 11

Nate152
Hello DonWulFF,

Temps will be high when running prime95. What you want to focus on is your gaming temps.

All cpu's are different. Some need more voltage, some need less for the same frequency.

If you are setting the core ratio to 44, there really is no need as your cpu at defaullt settings will boost to 4.4GHz.
default - (4.0 boost to 4.4)

What you can do is go into the bios and hit F5 to set defaults, boot to windows and open cpu-z and see what voltage it's drawing for 4.4Ghz. when running prime95. This will give you an idea of how much you will need for 4.5GHz.

On average it's usually around .05v to get to the next 100MHz.

You will want to start at 4.5GHz for overclocking.

DonWuLFF
Level 7
Hi Nate,
I follow your guide on my last post for M6F. Just changed to M7F and other batch of 4790K.
Thats why set the core ratio to 44.
Will try again later as now still updating games.

Nate152
OK open up up real/core temp and play a game for a bit when you get finished updating. Post your temps please. 75c is the max you want to see. I use this to tell me how far I can overclock.

DonWuLFF
Level 7
Run crysis 3,highest temp 74.

Nate152

DonWuLFF
Level 7
It set as auto Nate. Should I lower the volt?

Nate152
You're fine, you just don't want to go any higher with 74c as gaming temps.

How did you apply the thermal compound and how much did you use?

DonWuLFF
Level 7
I reapply and still the same. Just thin layer apply with plastic card,same like I always do and using arctic silver 5.