cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-Sync option ingame what should I do with a G-Sync monitor now ?

class101
Level 7
Hey guys got a PG278Q and I know that in the control panel of nvidia I have to set the global profile vsync to G-SYNC

But what to do in-game with the vsync option should I keep it enabled or disabled ?

I play on GTX780 @ 144MHz
5 REPLIES 5

kkn
Level 14
disable of course.

class101
Level 7
thanks man, not so obvious to me because I could think vsync is good to set if I get in any game a fps rate > 144 it isn't worth getting much than that I guess right ? so vsync in this case would act like the hard cap. COrrect me if I'm wrong

class101 wrote:
thanks man, not so obvious to me because I could think vsync is good to set if I get in any game a fps rate > 144 it isn't worth getting much than that I guess right ? so vsync in this case would act like the hard cap. COrrect me if I'm wrong

Not entirely correct. V-sync attempts to sync your monitor's graphics card with the current refresh rate of the monitor. This means it would try to update the frame every 0.00694 seconds, or 7 ms, instead of when the graphics card is finished rendering. This causes input lag, and if you're running much lower than the monitor's refresh rate, stuttering.

If you are using a GeForce card with G-SYNC it literally makes V-Sync pointless, there's no reason to have it on so long as you're using G-Sync, as G-Sync does V-sync's job but better. It makes the panel update *as soon* as the card has a new frame, not when the monitor refreshes. This eliminates screen tearing entirely, which is the only reason V-Sync exists, and (most of the time) stuttering.

You want VSYNC set to OFF if you are going to be using GSync, period. There's no reason to use both at the same time.

Also, G-Sync already FPS caps you at 144 FPS anyway, and your eyes won't see the difference between 144 FPS and 200 FPS because your monitor can't refresh that fast anyway.

NavasC wrote:
Not entirely correct. V-sync attempts to sync your monitor's graphics card with the current refresh rate of the monitor. This means it would try to update the frame every 0.00694 seconds, or 7 ms, instead of when the graphics card is finished rendering. This causes input lag, and if you're running much lower than the monitor's refresh rate, stuttering.

If you are using a GeForce card with G-SYNC it literally makes V-Sync pointless, there's no reason to have it on so long as you're using G-Sync, as G-Sync does V-sync's job but better. It makes the panel update *as soon* as the card has a new frame, not when the monitor refreshes. This eliminates screen tearing entirely, which is the only reason V-Sync exists, and (most of the time) stuttering.

You want VSYNC set to OFF if you are going to be using GSync, period. There's no reason to use both at the same time.

Also, G-Sync already FPS caps you at 144 FPS anyway, and your eyes won't see the difference between 144 FPS and 200 FPS because your monitor can't refresh that fast anyway.

This is true. Although, I found a weird bug. On diablo 3, my monitor only activates gsync when I have the vsync box ticked. It goes to normal when unchecked. I verified this by having the monitor info window up while changing settings and monitoring fps. Weird.

Rogue784 wrote:
This is true. Although, I found a weird bug. On diablo 3, my monitor only activates gsync when I have the vsync box ticked. It goes to normal when unchecked. I verified this by having the monitor info window up while changing settings and monitoring fps. Weird.

Mine runs fine? Are you running in Windowed Borderless or fullscreen? G Sync does not work in windowed.