cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded from RIVE to RIVB, no stable overclock possible, need help

Raƒa
Level 7
Hi,
as the title suggests i upgraded from the rampage iv extreme to rampage iv black. With my Rive I could overclock to 4,5 GHz fully stable with the following relevant Settings:

AI Overclock tuner: X.M.P
CPU Core Ratio: Sync all Cores to 45
Internal PLL Overvoltage: disabled
DRAM frequency: 2133Mhz
xtreme tweaking: disabled
CPU Core voltage: Offset -0,060
VTT: 1,1
VCCSA: 1,1
Load-line Calibration: regular
CPU current capability: 100%
CPU Power Phase control: optimized
VCCSA load-line calibration: regular
VCCSA current capability 100%

everything else left on Auto or Default, C-states are all on

with the RIVB i have to turn CPU power phase control to EXTREME, otherwise my PC crashes immediatley during boot, and that even with stock auto clock and voltage Settings!!! This cannot be normal! By the way, if i put it to Auto, the Mainboard automatically selects Extreme, even with stock Settings.

Furthermore I had to set the CPU load-line calibration to medium, and both current capabilities to 110% in order to succesfully boot.
Prime quits after few minutes with a sudden reboot, and my sys randomly reboots even with no load.

Why is the RIVB performing so poor? Is this because i have a Sandy Bridge -E and it's been optimized for ivy?

Please help me, i want my stable system back.
5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Rafa,

The RIVBE is a different board and you might not be able to simply transfer settings. You should really redo the OC a bit from scratch.

If you load F5 BIOS defaults does the system boot? If you then set XMP does it boot?

Try setting CPU current capability a bit higher...140...150%

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi Rafa,

The RIVBE is a different board and you might not be able to simply transfer settings. You should really redo the OC a bit from scratch.

If you load F5 BIOS defaults does the system boot? If you then set XMP does it boot?

Try setting CPU current capability a bit higher...140...150%

yeah it will boot, but with way to high voltages (1,3 vccsa for example), but as soon I put CPU Power Phase control to optimized or regular, it crashes, even without xmp.

it was so easy to overclock the RIVE and i thought it would be as easy with the RIVB, considering that it is newer. The other thing is i was so happy getting the 4,5 Ghz with this low voltages on the rive, I don't want to end up burning my CPU, cause I am planning to keep it until the x99 successor arrives.

I got it today and I only tried it with the latest bios 0801, considering it is a beta, do you think I should try the previous one?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, I would not use the beta BIOS try 0701

As I say the RIVBE is not the RIVE you can't think like you did with the RIVE. The current capability at AUTO on the RIVBE is 140% so if you set less you might be limiting the CPU and triggering these sudden shutdowns. You just have to think that the scale is diferent on the different boards. Some IB-E chips need 160-170% current cap but that, I am told by Raja, is OK just give what the CPU needs.

Phases, as I'm sure you know, are linked to current cap...if you set more that 130 they go to extreme...

Voltages in any absolute sense should be more or less the same. If the CPU did 4.5 at X voltage then it should still do it more or less. How you get to X voltage might not be the same however on the new board. Whereas your offset was -0.06 before maybe the same load voltage will be with a different offset? That sort of thing...

1.3 VCCSA is far too high though....so work out your OC again. Set F5 defaults...set XMP and then input your known voltages for the RAM to be stable...then leaving current cap and phases on auto for now work on CPU offset voltage...

Okay,
went to 0701, loaded optimized values, then xmp, set the voltages manually and the Multiplier to 45, left everythiing else on auto, my RIVB now reports 0,50 Volts on the DIMM CD channel :confused:

still getting random reboots, even with stock 40x Multiplier....:mad:

Okay, the mainboard is definitely broken.

First i thought the 0,5v CD Channel sensor reading was a bug, but than I realized that the board only recognized 16Gb of my 32Gb. I went back to 0801 but the Problem persisted.
Then I removed all RAMS except two in the CD Channel, the board did not boot and gave me an error code that no compatible RAM is inserted. I tried it with one module and got the same result. So I took out my old RIVE, inserted all eight modules and the cpu and hooked it up.

It 's running perfectly fine

Sadly I have to send the RIVB back, I really love the looks and the new features, but I think I will stick with the RIVE as it is so rock solid