cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UEFI questions on primary, primary RAID 0, and secondary drives for new 8.1 build

mindsignals
Level 9
I'm in the process of acquiring my parts (the Rampage V Extreme x99 being the last major item I'm still tracking down for purchase) and want to ensure maximum throughput as well as the best options for multi-boot, potentially with Linux and/or OSX.

Questions:
1. UEFI will generally offer the best boot and speed benefits in conjunction with a windows 8.1+ installation, correct? If so, do I select this during Windows' fresh install or is it selected and configured on the drive in advance? I know it would need to be enabled/disabled in the BIOS should conversion from an existing MBR-based boot disc be utilized.

I currently have a Crucial M500 960GB SSD which was my prior Win 7 MBR disc with boot/os/game partitions. I'm looking to repurpose that drive for use as either a primary for OS or secondary for steam/origin gaming. This leads to my subsequent questions:
2. Do I convert that to UEFI (with something like http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14286.converting-windows-bios-installatio...) only if it's a primary or does it also need to be converted for maximum performance even if a secondary?
3. If it is the primary and is RAID 0 does it need UEFI if it is the second drive of a raided pair or does that only go on the first drive of a raided pair or get striped across both volumes once? I'm assuming it would be striped across both in that scenario.
1 REPLY 1

Chino
Level 15
Here are some guides on UEFI that might be useful for you. The guides were done with another motherboard but the principles should be the same.

Rampage IV UEFI Boot Installation Guide On Windows 7 or 8

Guide: Building RAID With UEFI

If you're using the SSD as secondary storage, just format it in Windows. If you're planning to use it as the primary OS drive, the whole MBR/GPT will be taken care of automatically during the Windows 8.1 installation process.