cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my g74 goes to sleep during gameplay

griff71
Level 7
just got a g74 yesterday, had a couple of minor issues that i sorted but today i was playing total war empire and evrytime i was in a battle the screen went black and i had to push the power button and use my password to restart.
not sure if this is a major issue or an easy fix. any advice would be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

JRd1st
Level 12
You sure it's going to sleep and not crashing?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

well, whatever its doing its not good, the screen goes black. i have to press the power button, sign in and click on the gme in the toolbar at the bottom and then i can continue. pain in the arse though. i bought this laptop as a replacement for an antique but my antique doesn't do this.

JRd1st
Level 12
Press the ROG button and set your power profile to Performance. Or use Power4Gear to set the profile.

You might want to check your event logs to see what's telling Windows to sleep

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

i did set it to high performance yesterday, thought it would stay that way but it looked like it maybe wasn't. i'll see how i get on.
cheers

JRd1st
Level 12
I don't see why it's sleeping while you're using it anyway, unless you're on battery and very it's low, and it's going into hibernation.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

no i'm not o battery, i'm plugged in, it was ok for a few hours but happened again just now. screen goes black, then i have to psh power button to turn off and back on then put in my password and away to go. doing my head in now......................

griff71 wrote:
no i'm not o battery, i'm plugged in, it was ok for a few hours but happened again just now. screen goes black, then i have to psh power button to turn off and back on then put in my password and away to go. doing my head in now......................

By any chance do you have the function keys reversed so that they do their alternate function by default? For example, instead of F1 being "F1" it's actually "Sleep."
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

i don't think so mate, not really sure about that, how do i check that one out? i don't think it can be that though as i'm not using any keys in the game, only the mouse really. just certain times it goes black screen, i can see the little white arrow and it still moves around but no other funtions work. i have to hit the power button to shut it off and then reboot, when i reboot everything is as i left it so its like its going into sleep mode rather than crashing....( i think) you'll have to excuse my computer skills as i'm not all that flash with terminology etc.

I was just looking in the manual and Fn+Spacebar "toggles between various power saving modes" That seems the most likely scenario.

Sounds like you're definitely going into hibernation. Sleep wakes up fast, hibernation seems like rebooting except when you get into Windows your programs are still running.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com