cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent BSODs on Maximus VI Formula

Brack
Level 7
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to solve an issue that has been haunting me since I built my new(ish) rig. Basically ever since I built it I've been getting random BSODs. The problem is it is so intermittent (3-4 a month) I have trouble testing specific configurations to eliminate hardware/software conflictions.

At first I thought it may be my overclock so I set everything back to factory defaults but it continued to happen. Next I thought that my SLI video cards were the issue so I pulled one out and reinstalled my video drivers, but the BSODs still came. Even with the overclock active I can stress test my CPU and GPUs just fine without a BSOD. I'm not sure what I should try next, but whatever it is I'll have to live with it for a week or two until my next one.

Hardware:
Core i7 4770k @4.2 GHz
Maximus VI Formula
Corsair H100i
Corsair Dominator Platinum (16GB)
GTX 780 Ti (x2 SLI)
Creative X-FI Titanium
Corsair RM 1000 (PSU)
Intel 120GB SSD
Samsung 500GB SSD
WD 1TB Black HDD
ROG Front Base
Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra (Case)

In addition I have 6-7 USB 2/3 devices (mouse, keyboard, gamepad, webcam, TrackIR, etc...).

Any advice on what I should try from here would be much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15

NemesisChild
Level 12
First impression, you're running twin 780Ti's on a 1000W PSU?
Are you saying that you still experienced BSOD's with only one card installed?

Have you checked windows event viewer logs and also looked at the dump log files?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Chino wrote:
Download and run Memtest86+ to see if your BSODs are memory related. Minimum let it finish 1 pass.

Will do once I have a minute...

NemesisChild wrote:
First impression, you're running twin 780Ti's on a 1000W PSU?
Are you saying that you still experienced BSOD's with only one card installed?

Have you checked windows event viewer logs and also looked at the dump log files?

Yes, I still experience the BSODs with only one card. I'm probably close to what the PSU can handle with both cards running, but I can stress test just fine without BSODs.

As far as event logs, I had two events at the same time for the last BSOD:

• Critical, Kernel-Power, Description: The system rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.
  • Warning, Kernel-PnP, Description: The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&2.

I tried Googling on the Kernel-PnP Warning, but didn't find too much related to me.

Jeff_Kicks
Level 7
i had a problem of that nature a while back. i tried even replacing my mobo. oddly enough though, i did a secure erase of my ssd and a fresh windows 8.1 install. problem gone. just a thought