cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error code 00, and a major headache.

saddog5523
Level 7
Just today I received my Rampage V Extreme board, and started building my system. I have the 5960x, G.Skill 2666 MHz 32GB (8GB x 4) RAM, 2 EVGA 780s in SLI, and a SeaSonic X-1250 PSU in a Cooler Master 942 case. I mounted and plugged everything up, booted up and installed WIndows 7, everything was working fine. Though for some reason when I would make a change in the BIOS and save/reset the system, it would shut off and never turn back on. Pushing any of the buttons on the mobo wouldn't work, though the OC panel in the 5.25 slot would still show temps and whatnot which was strange. I would have to flip the switch on the PSU and let it sit unplugged for about a minute or two, plug it in, and it would post. Next problem I had was the first BIOS wouldn't load at all, it would give me a 00 error code and never boot up. I pushed the BIOS switch button and it loaded up in the second BIOS just fine. I booted into Windows and installed all of the drivers from the support DVD, and it would restart just fine. I booted back into BIOS to check the version because I figured I would need to update it, and it was on 0403. I downloaded 0603 and did the ASUS EZ flash method in the BIOS, though when it reset, it never would power back on. I left it alone for a good 10-15 minutes just to make sure, and flipped the switch on the PSU and flipped it back to power it on. I loaded up the BIOS and it showed to be on 0603, so I felt it was fine, until I made a change and did the save/reset, and it did the same thing as the first BIOS did. All of the fans would turn on for a second or two and then stop, then it would give me an error code 00 before shutting down. Once again the OC panel would stay on. After that, I am not able to get it to progress past the 00 error code. My coworker is bringing up an extra PSU tomorrow to see if that could be the issue (since it is the PSU from my old build). I just hope that it isn't the mobo or CPU... 😞

I'm sorry for the long and drawn out explanation. I have fooled with this thing for hours and haven't found any remedy to this situation. I have yet to reseat the CPU, so I'm planning on doing that next. Does anyone have any suggestions other than that, or a possible explanation of what the heck is up? To anyone that can figure this out, I'm up for donating enough money for at least a couple beer. 😛
32 REPLIES 32

Nate152
Hello saddog5523

I think I would be a sad dog too if I were in your shoes right now. I've never owned a rampage board but code 00 is the same on my board. In the manual it says code 00 is not used. It must be used if the motherboard is showing it right? You are correct in thinking that code 00 is the motherboard or cpu, that's usually what it points to, but I don't think it's the problem here as you are able to boot.

I don't think it is a bios issue either as it does it with both bios's.

Does this happen when changing a setting in the bios or trying different settings?

You can try booting with just 1 stick of ram, this may or may not help.

The only thing I can say is to give us an update after trying another psu, that's about all that's left.
Don't go fooling with the cpu and socket just yet.

saddog5523
Level 7
I'm using the Noctua D15, and applied a generous amount of thermal paste, so the CPU for sure didn't get too hot. I also never did any overclocking, so that wouldn't be an issue either. I can't get into either BIOS, so I am not able to change any settings. The first time that it happened was when I bumped the target speed of the RAM from 2133 to 2666 (which is the speed of my memory). That and switching from AHCI to RAID0 were the only changes I made in the first BIOS. The second BIOS accepted those changes without any issues until it started acting up like the first BIOS. I will be trying the other PSU tomorrow morning to see if that may be the issue, though with it only being a year old, I can't see how it would have gone bad on me within this short amount of time. Though stuff happens. I was hoping for some extra solutions I can try if the PSU doesn't solve my problem. It just acts like the mobo isn't getting enough power, as a few other people have forgot to plug in the 8-pin power and got the same 00 error code as me. I promise I do have everything plugged in correctly. 😛

Nate152
I think I would be a sad dog too if I were in your shoes right about now.

First suggestion is clear the cmos.

The only other suggestion I have would be to raise the vccsa voltage to 1.20v - 1.30v as it does this when you set your ram to 2666MHz. You could also try booting with one stick of ram to see if she will go. Is your ram kit a single kit or 2 kits combined?

If she don't go, then wait to see how the new psu tests.

Chino
Level 15
Although Noctua's mounting system is pretty much top notch and error free, sometimes we tend to overtighten the screws in our excitement to get the build up. So what I would do is loosen the screws a bit just to make sure you're not warping the motherboard. Then go and switch back to BIOS 1. Download the 0503 BIOS and reflash it using the USB BIOS Flashback procedure. Let me know if that works.

Chino wrote:
Although Noctua's mounting system is pretty much top notch and error free, sometimes we tend to overtighten the screws in our excitement to get the build up. So what I would do is loosen the screws a bit just to make sure you're not warping the motherboard. Then go and switch back to BIOS 1. Download the 0503 BIOS and reflash it using the USB BIOS Flashback procedure. Let me know if that works.

I do tend to over-tighten things sometimes. Lol. I will try that though and report back. Thanks for the suggestions! Any help at all is appreciated. I'm just developing a headache from spending so much money on this system, only to find out that it isn't working right. 😕 Good thing I purchased everything from NewEgg in case I have to send something back to swap out!

saddog5523
Level 7
When I got into work this morning, I flipped the switch to the PSU on and it booted right up, no problems. Messed around a bit, checked the voltages in the BIOS and everything looked fine. Upgraded from 0503 to 0603 without issue, and then went to start messing with more settings. My RAM is clocked for 2666 MHz, so I upped the speed in the BIOS from 2133 to 2400 to see if it would cause any hiccups. Booted back into BIOS fine, upped it from 2400 to 2666, and it wouldn't boot. Had to flip the switch on the PSU and wait for it to all discharge before booting back into BIOS to find that the 2666 had stuck. The voltage is sitting at 1.2 for 2666, which should be fine. I then proceeded to copy BIOS 2 to BIOS 1 in the TOOLS tab in the BIOS, since I'm still in BIOS 2. The lights blinked from one chip to the other (I'm guessing showing that the copying is taking place) and when the blinking stopped, it immediately booted up. When it booted, it booted with that same 00 error code, though this time instead of no fans spinning, the fans on my EVGA 780s were spinning. Strange stuff. I'm waiting on my coworker to get here with his power supply he brought so I can swap them out and test whether it is power supply or not.

I want to clarify though that it did successfully boot into Windows a couple times. I restarted a few times to see what would happen starting out. I'm crossing the CPU off the list because I figure if there was some little something going wrong with it, it wouldn't work at all.

I am having the exactly same issue, I had to loosen the cpu cooler screws to get all my memory to work and the system to be stable. The issue with copying BIOS 2 to 1 is the exact thing I am seeing it flashed just fine, but when it booted back up I got the 00 error code and only the top cooler fans were spinning not the bottom ones, but my gpu fans were spinning. I tried the usb flashback with 0503 and 0603 same issue so I emailed Asus and am buying a new bios chip to replace bios 1. Bios 2 is working and I figure I won't touch it until I get the new bios chip as I only have one working bios. In light of things I shouldn't have used so much brute force mounting my cpu cooler and I will never use the copy bios option again.

Thank you,

Dan

Maybe that's just an issue for some. I might just order two new BIOS chips and replace them both for good measure. Have you messed with changing the speed of the RAM to see if you have any boot issues? Sometimes when I make changes in the BIOS and save/reset, it doesn't boot and presents me with a 00 error code. There are just too many dang weird issues...