New ROGer Array

Angry Issues with my ROG Swift

Hi Guys,

I've been watching the forums for quite a while and have been dying for this monitor ever since it was announced. I'm also a game developer and was really needing this for my new workstation build. Personally, I have tried it for the past two days but today was the day I could try out G-Sync. Yesterday involved a lot work so I could only boot into it and start getting Windows going by that time. But I have some problems that are really bothering me and I'll explain why.

First off, I freaking love this monitor and G-Sync. It's really amazing if you have a powerful system to back it up. The only downside, when I took the monitor out of the plastic, I noticed some smearing along the edges like an oil or residue. I was holding it by the base when I took the plastic off so my hands never made contact with the bezel at all. So naturally, I grabbed my Oculus Rift micro cleaning cloth that I use on their lens' and gently rubbed it off in a circular motion. I've had to clean LCDs from time to time over the many years and I barely applied any pressure but I wasn't going to leave the residue there. After I turned the monitor, I noticed in the exact same spot what appeared to be light bleeding through and also I have a dark spot in the lower right corner with what appears to be a small rectangular bar that isn't darkened on the inside.

It's driving me mad because I really need this as my primary monitor and paying so much for the damn thing. I am going to probably exchange it at Newegg but no chance that they'll actually have any in stock so they are going to have to refund me and I'll have no choice but to say forget it or go through the crap of trying to get my hands on one of these. I literally stayed up all night on the 25th into the 26th and was lucky to get the early window of roughly 20 min at 9 Freaking AM. I felt lucky and it was at the moment where my head was spinning like Sub Zeros at the end of a Mortal Kombat Fight. But luckily I hit F5 for the 50 millionth time and got one.

The light bleeding bar that starts on the lower left and goes to the right also creates a noticeable darkened or discolored area. And on top of it, my entire screen looks like it has a dust or a film on it that can't be wiped away at all and it covers the entire screen. You notice it primarily on white backgrounds.

So I am not happy after spending roughly 900 USD on this and need it for work. So thankfully no dead pixels on the bright side but this is unacceptable. And it's very possible the same crap that was on the monitor when I unboxed could've caused some of these issues but I have no way of knowing for sure. Not sure if these are handled by hand for inspection but I can't tell you how upset I am at this and how I'll either have to deal with it or return it. As much as I love this monitor to death, deal with it is not an option at $900 when I left a big job months ago to follow my dreams and start a video game company and am slowly running out of budget just to get things off the ground. If you look down at this monitor, you can also see an inverted cloudy mess so every one of these defects is extremely discouraging and a letdown after all the hype to say the least.

If an ASUS rep could please assist, that would be greatly appreciated. We can also talk about this offline if that will speed things up. Thanks and looking forward to hearing some feedback on this before I make up my mind.
    Last edited by MC Stryker; 09-04-2014 at 09:38 AM.

New ROGer Array

Okay, so this post has been up for a week now and no response. This is supposed to be a support forum and do you guys even have a community manager hired or at least a damn moderator? You guys actually care about your customers? This is ridiculous and I'm so glad to see ASUS gives a **** about their North American customers let alone professionals. Since posting this originally, my monitor has developed new problems literally days later. So beyond what I already have, I now have flickering pixels of Red and White and the Turbo Button is not working at all as advertised. So, how the hell do I make it more clear that this is a defective monitor? Please tell me, I'm curious. Aside from being one step from emailing your corporate office, I've left this post, sent an email and contacted you on Facebook with no response. Now I remember why I go with other brands including EVGA that is miles beyond ROG support at ASUS. Not even close to being remotely as good as them. You guys should be better than this, but its pretty unfortunate that you aren't. As I'm typing this, now I'm seeing blue pixels flickering all over the place. So, thanks to Newegg that actually gives a damn to expedite my return process, I'm returning this damn thing and I may consider giving another a shot, but excuse my language, but you guys are doing a ****ty job at handling the launch of this product and while you do, companies like Acer and others either have or are bringing GSync Monitors to market so you are very quickly loosing another customer. Since you didn't handle it by now, there is nothing that really can be done since I'm boxing this up this weekend and shipping it back for a full refund so bravo and it looks like you guys are doing a great job helping others out as well by living up to your brand ROG, Republic Of Gamers huh, is that some sort of reference that dedicated fans within your community help others out instead of you guys actually putting in the effort? What a joke... if I decide to give another a shot, that will be it, but you can be sure I'll be arranging to contact your corporate office. Thanks a lot and good luck

New ROGer Array

solidarity

I understand your frustration. I don't work for Asus, so I can't help you there. I can however wholeheartedly confirm that Asus' handling of this display's launch, and apparently its release as well, has been a travesty. If its any consolation, it's probably more conducive to your sanity that you're being ignored here, rather than receiving the pcdiyJJ approach of promising results in the ever ephemeral 'very soon' time window.

What is also frustrating is that Asus is a dominant, first class player in the PC industry. Their motherboard engineers and BIOS team are in a league of their own. This likely makes poor service more palatable, as with these product lines, it is less necessary. Asus is not a dominant quality display vendor though; and being ecosystemically joined at the hip with Nvidia in the case of the Swift, really serves to potently illustrate Asus' lack of either ability or willingness to communicate.

My advice to you is to remain patient. Both Asus and Nvidia are breaking ground technologically with this display, so they are consequently reticent of both action and information. The only thing worse than requiring a firmware/driver update at a product launch is releasing one that makes things worse or that does not work as advertised. You're right about Swift supply being a major obstacle to an RMA, which should mollify the aggravation of the 'just sit and wait" approach.

SM

ROG Enthusiast Array

Here I don't have pixel issues at all, the hardware part is all working fine, if I were you I would return the monitor for a new one, I have seen a few post of users in overclock.net in the same case as your and someone even returned it 3 times before to get one without pixel issues.

My only problem with it yet is that G-Sync does not work well in some unoptimized game I try like DayZ so I just disable it yet in the game I find it not working correctly, hoping the futur nvidia patches will improve G-Sync stability into more games

I know too that the frequency turbo button does not work if you have too old nvidia drivers, but if you are already up to date, it is good to try to uninstall the current nvidia drivers with the control panel, then download the current latest 340.52, in advanced installation tick the option to make a fresh installation

But since you have found pixel issues on yours I would return it, because there is a high chance your monitor will die sooner than normally

Hope you get this sorted out

//edit: Found a way to stabilize G-Sync flickering in DayZ, just had to downgrade to 120MHz and now no more flickering all so smoother than before, so happy
    Last edited by class101; 09-15-2014 at 07:23 PM.