New ROGer Array

Cool Can't run 2nd Graphics Card

Hello,

I just got a new Quadro k4200 from PNY, plopped it into my Rampage Black Edition in the 4th slot (PCIe x16) and I can not get Windows to recognize its' existence. In the first PCIe slot I have a Titan Black EVGA superclocked which works fine.

I have switched the cards around, and put the Titan Black in the 4th slot and the Quadro in the 1st. The Quadro was recognized and the Titan Black dissapeared. So I know the Quadro works, just can't get the computer to see both of them.

Thank you for your help

specs
    Rampage Black Edition - BIOS version 0602
    4960x Intel processor - OC'd to 4.6ghz
    64g RAM - Corsair 2400Mhz
    1tb Samsung SSD Boot Drive
    2tb Samsung RAID 0
    EVGA superclocked Titan Black (1st slot PCIe)
    Quadro k4200 (2nd slot PCIe)
    Corsair 1200i PSU
    Windows 8.1 64bit

ROG Enthusiast Array InFAMAS-ONE PC Specs
    InFAMAS-ONE PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)N/A
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    Processori7 5960X
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2400Mhz
    Graphics Card #1ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-011G-GAMING
    Graphics Card #2ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-011G-GAMING
    MonitorASUS ROG PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Evo M2
    CaseRaijintek NYX Pro
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Mouse ROG Spatha
    OS Win 10 Pro x64

I'm pretty sure it's because your cards don't match.

That would explain why they both do work - no matter which card you put in slot 1, it works, but the other card doesn't. That will be because slot one is obviously the primary slot.

Also, with the Rampage IV Black edition, put your cards in slots 1 & 3. The mapping for the PCI-E lanes accross the slots is as follows:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	537.9 KB 
ID:	40899

Snip taken from ASUS website.

If you're only running 2 cards, you can put whatever you want in the empty slots. As you can see, with the graphics cards in slots 1 & 3, they both have 16 PCI-E lanes each (More Bandwidth), so they should be located there.

SLI definitely WON'T work with 2 different cards. they can be from different manufacturers and it usually works, but preferably get 2 from the same manufacturer.

Are you just gaming, or do you do intensive rendering? the Quadro is not a gaming-orientated card, so just curious.

I know some people will SLI 2 GTX 780's for example, and have a lower end card in slot 4 or something - this card is dedicated to PhysX, and that configuration works, but It might be having issues with the Quadro for whatever reason. This is pure speculation, of course - it's just both cards DO work, just not together.

Also, check the switches for the PCI-E lanes located just below the Start and Reset buttons on the Motherboard itself, and make sure you haven't accidentally deactivated any of the slots.
    Last edited by InFAMAS-ONE; 09-09-2014 at 02:32 PM.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array jab383 PC Specs
    jab383 PC Specs
    Motherboard24/7 rig : Maximus VI Extreme
    Processori7 4790K
    Memory (part number)16GB Mushkin Redline 2400 10-12-12-28 + 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 10-12-12-31
    Graphics Card #1AMD Firepro W5000
    Sound CardM6E Supreme FX
    MonitorDell U2413
    Storage #1Kingston SH103S3240G SSD
    Storage #2Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB
    CPU CoolerCustom water loop, Delidded, Liquid Metal TIM
    CaseCoolerMaster HAF XM
    Power SupplyCorsair HX-750
    Keyboard Logitech G710+
    Mouse Logitech M705
    OS Windows 7 64 Pro

Do Quadro and Geforce cards use the same driver? If not, it's likely that the driver for only one is being loaded and that driver cannot operate the other card. I know that's the case with AMD R9 and Firepro cards -- the professional cards use much different drivers and Windows won't try to run both.

Jeff