cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't run 2nd Graphics Card

NaughtyPhoton
Level 7
Hello,

I just got a new Quadro k4200 from PNY, plopped it into my Rampage Black Edition in the 4th slot (PCIe x16) and I can not get Windows to recognize its' existence. In the first PCIe slot I have a Titan Black EVGA superclocked which works fine.

I have switched the cards around, and put the Titan Black in the 4th slot and the Quadro in the 1st. The Quadro was recognized and the Titan Black dissapeared. So I know the Quadro works, just can't get the computer to see both of them.

Thank you for your help 🙂

specs
Rampage Black Edition - BIOS version 0602
4960x Intel processor - OC'd to 4.6ghz
64g RAM - Corsair 2400Mhz
1tb Samsung SSD Boot Drive
2tb Samsung RAID 0
EVGA superclocked Titan Black (1st slot PCIe)
Quadro k4200 (2nd slot PCIe)
Corsair 1200i PSU
Windows 8.1 64bit
2 REPLIES 2

InFAMAS-ONE
Level 8
I'm pretty sure it's because your cards don't match.

That would explain why they both do work - no matter which card you put in slot 1, it works, but the other card doesn't. That will be because slot one is obviously the primary slot.

Also, with the Rampage IV Black edition, put your cards in slots 1 & 3. The mapping for the PCI-E lanes accross the slots is as follows:

Snip taken from ASUS website.

If you're only running 2 cards, you can put whatever you want in the empty slots. As you can see, with the graphics cards in slots 1 & 3, they both have 16 PCI-E lanes each (More Bandwidth), so they should be located there.

SLI definitely WON'T work with 2 different cards. they can be from different manufacturers and it usually works, but preferably get 2 from the same manufacturer.

Are you just gaming, or do you do intensive rendering? the Quadro is not a gaming-orientated card, so just curious.

I know some people will SLI 2 GTX 780's for example, and have a lower end card in slot 4 or something - this card is dedicated to PhysX, and that configuration works, but It might be having issues with the Quadro for whatever reason. This is pure speculation, of course - it's just both cards DO work, just not together.

Also, check the switches for the PCI-E lanes located just below the Start and Reset buttons on the Motherboard itself, and make sure you haven't accidentally deactivated any of the slots.

jab383
Level 13
Do Quadro and Geforce cards use the same driver? If not, it's likely that the driver for only one is being loaded and that driver cannot operate the other card. I know that's the case with AMD R9 and Firepro cards -- the professional cards use much different drivers and Windows won't try to run both.

Jeff