cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G74SX overheat issue?? please help!

Wtfismyname
Level 7
well i just got this laptop a while ago and the temp never came to me as a issue. that was until i played a graphics intensive game (oblivion). the game started to stutter and act weird. that was when i noticed the level of heat coming out the back. i then played bad company 2 with a temp monitor and the heat level shot up to 75 degrees Celsius. I also seem to be having many graphics card crashes "Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version has stopped working and has successfully recovered'

is this all normal for this laptop? i totally new to this, and i don't want to see my 1500 dollar laptop melt before my eyes and i run my graphic design business off this thing. I have nothing on the vents and i am playing on a flat surface

any help would be nice, everyone on here seems to be very knowledgeable
42 REPLIES 42

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I don't think you need to worry about a meltdown. 😉 75 degrees is within the normal range, so I don't think the behavior is due to overheating. Rather, it sounds like a graphics driver issue. So the first step is to download the most recent Nvidia driver and install it.

JRd1st
Level 12
Yes, first update your nvidia driver then run Furmark
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

yes thank you guys. maybe a slight over reaction huh? I have heard horrible things about overclocking so 7-80 degrees celcius kinda freaked me out.
also i have already updated my graphics. should i just delete them and start over?

Delete them? What?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
Delete them? What?

I think he meant whatever setting or whatnot he got from overclocking.

JRd1st
Level 12
People should learn about the basics before they start overclocking. :rolleyes:

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

well i've done some research and most are recommending that i delete the NVIDIA driver and reinstall the new one to avoid any more problems. I seem to have a slight stuttering problem on most of my games. but mainly just oblivion, but that game seems to have a well known stuttering problem, so i left it be.
anyways. whats wrong, should i do a re-install of the drivers, or maybe i got the one bad card?

Did you update your WiFi driver, yet! I know this sounds off the wall, but the driver that the G74's ship with has a latency problem that causes all kinds of problems. You may want to go here - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card

You shouldn't crash at 75C. What driver do you have installed?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

HA oh man i never even thought of that! thanks i will give it a try and let you know how it goes

and i didn't crash at 75...just not yet. i'm sure it was just oblivion. at that temp the game would start acting like it was struggling with heat. which is weird because i know the g74sx has a very good cooling system.
i have the very latest driver install available, its 280.26
its been acting very weird lately, so i just hope its not a defect.
any suggestions?