cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with RAM on an ASUS Maximus VII Gene

adulaamin
Level 7
Good day! I'm having issues with running my Kingston HyperX Beast 2400mhz RAM on it's XMP profile on an ASUS Maximus VII Gene w/ a 4790k. It has 2 profiles:

Profile #1: 2400MHz, 11-13-14, 1.65V
Profile #2: 2133MHz, 11-13-13, 1.6V

Profile #2 works but everytime I select Profile #1 and "Overclocking has failed" message shows up on POST. I've tried manually setting speed, timings, and voltage and it results in the same thing. The profiles work flawlessly on my Asus Maximus V Gene w/ a 3770k. Any help would be very much appreciated. 😄
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Try raising the vccsa voltage to 1.10v - 1.20v and see if she will go, start with 1.10v

Is this 8GB, 16GB or 32GB?

It's 4x4gb sticks. I'll try that out ASAP. Thanks!

adulaamin
Level 7
It's 2 2x4gb kits. I bought them at the same time, at the same shop for my 3770k rig. They work flawlessly with the 3770k rig. It's just for this 4790k rig that they're not working.

jab383
Level 13
Nate152's suggestion about Vccsa is the easiest and most likely to succeed at 2400.

Another BIOS setting to try is to enable "additional training" way down the list in the DRAM timing.

If Vccsa of 1.20 doesn't work, leave it there and try the other timing numbers. The fourth number should be around 31 or 32 and might want to go to 33. Command rate should be 1 or 2. If XMP didn't set 2, try that.

I'm not a stickler for all sticks in one kit. At least yours are all one make and model. One thing that worked for me is to put all of one kit on channel A and all of the other kit on channel B - that is if you can still tell the two kits apart.

Jeff

HiVizMan
Level 40
You have had good advice in this thread. I would just like to pick up on one point. You mentioned that they worked just fine with your old CPU, but not with the new. That simply tells me that your old CPU had a more robust IMC than your new one. It is as simple as that.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I'm having no luck with this. Everything results in an "Overclocking has failed" POST. If HiVizMan's suggestion is true, the my DC's IMC must really suck. It's just odd that a DC's IMC would be worse compared to an Ivy's but oh well. :rolleyes:

Nate152
Have you tried setting it up manually?

You could also try with just 2 stcks ( 1 kit ). Sometimes combining two identical kits will result in what you are experiencing.

Chino
Level 15
When it comes to the quality of a CPU, it's luck of the draw. Since the official frequency supported by Intel is 1600MHz, anything over that speed is basically overclocking for them.