cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious Purchase Advice G750JM vs G750JS ( Urgent )

xDivine
Level 7
Okay guys so i`m having a serious struggle deciding what to buy.
G750JM - Original price - 1,340$ ( Adding 8 GB ram and 250 SSD Samsung Evo 840 = +200$ ) = 1,540$
G750JS - Original price - 1,729$ ( Maybe switching the SanDisk crap with an Samsung Evo but not sure) = 1,729$

Main application that would be run on the machine : Dota2 / Photoshop / Adobe After Effects / Lightroom and such.

Issues that i`ve heard about and i would like to hear opinions on :
-Temperature difference -> The JM runs 10 degrees cooler than the JS on the same application. Is this true ?How is this gonna affect the GPU and the lifespan of the machine?
Note: I expect it to work with no hardware problems what-so-ever for at least 5 years straight , considering i will always use it with a cooler fan and no high requirements applications/games
-Headset plugins are very faulty ( easily breakable ) .. not all headsets work with it = Can you tell me more about it?
-BSOD error ? Is this fixed yet? Seems like this is fixed for the JM
-I`ve heard of people that are having problems with cooling system ( the fans throttles too much even tho they don`t run anything or the fan noise is way too noisy)

I would like an update on those if its possibile.

And the final question , is the upgrade really worth it?

I can`t figure it out to be honest. Whats the difference between the two gpu`s ? Will the 3 GB 870M heat the machine way more than the 2GB 860M ?

Also again , which one should have the longer lifespan?
29 REPLIES 29

CÃ_dric
Level 7
Hi

I dont know about G750JS but i can tell u DO NOT BUY G750JM.

Seriously... so many people bought this one (including me) and get that damn BSOD. Thanks to asus's forum users cuz now we know at least that an older nvdia driver "fixed" the issue. For now we cant upgrade our driver to the latest.
So i really really really suggest u to not bying G750JM.

Cédric wrote:
Hi

I dont know about G750JS but i can tell u DO NOT BUY G750JM.

Seriously... so many people bought this one (including me) and get that damn BSOD. Thanks to asus's forum users cuz now we know at least that an older nvdia driver "fixed" the issue. For now we cant upgrade our driver to the latest.
So i really really really suggest u to not bying G750JM.

Why? Could you tell me what happened ? Is the BSOD the only thing that bothers you?

CÃ_dric
Level 7
U can't imagine how frustating it is to laucn a game with no idea if u gonna get BSOD, u can trust me on this.
There's another little thing about the G750JM: USB 3.0 ports.
Copy's speed is really slow, about 20mb/sec and on my last MSI GP60 i used to have 100mb/sec.
So in conclusion i would'nt buy the G750JM if i were u but choice is yours.

xDivine
Level 7
I would still like to know more opinions about it and maybe someone can answer my temp/audioplugin/cooling system.
Is the JS having the same BSOD issue?

Bilack
Level 7
I own the JS and so far havent had any BSOD. I am using the latest nvidia driver (from the nvidia site) and BIOS 208. I am on windows 8.1 x64. Apart from the sound crackling, i have had no problems of any sort so far. The JM is supposed to run cooler because the GTX860M that is equiped with, it is on maxwell architecture (runs cooler, less power consumption), whereas the JS's GTX870M is on kepler architecture. My highest temps on JS was 86 C on crysis 3 running all settings to very high, including MLAA.
But before buying one of them, read more. Some people complaint about thin vertical lines.

Caastiel
Level 7
The BSOD problem only pertains to the JM. Also, as a JM user updating to the latest drivers seems to have fixed the BSODs for me since one or two driver versions ago.

JS all the way brother. No issues so far. Upgraded memory to 32 gigs with ramdisk setup and replaced stock ssd with a 1tb evo. For a 5 year span i'd recommend JS over the JM anyday.

Caastiel wrote:
The BSOD problem only pertains to the JM. Also, as a JM user updating to the latest drivers seems to have fixed the BSODs for me since one or two driver versions ago.

Could you tell me more about how the JM performs?

Also , I would like to hear more opinions on this.. I still don`t know what to do. Considering i don`t really use any high-end games/apps.