cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 SATA Express vs PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot 1 & 3 in SLI

TWP-WOLF
Level 7
Dear ASUS Staff & Forum Members.

I'm in a process of building me a new computer based on ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EXTREME, 2 x ASUS ROG MATRIX GTX 780 Ti PLATINUM in SLI, Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E & Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 NGFF PCIe x4 SSD (MZHPU512HCGL) among other things.

So if I run the Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 NGFF PCIe x4 SSD as an operative system disc at the ASUS R5E M.2 SATA Express contact, will my 2 x ASUS ROG MATRIX GTX 780 Ti PLATINUM still run in SLI at the PCI-E x16 3.0 slot 1 & PCI-E x16 3.0 slot 3?

Since the ASUS R5E M.2 SATA Express contact share bandwidth together with PCI-E x4-1, PCI-E x1-1 & PCI-E x8-4 slots I wonder if my ASUS ROG MATRIX GTX 780 Ti PLATINUM still runs in SLI at PCI-E x16 3.0 slot 3 or does it make the slot 3 run in PCI-E x8?

I apologize for my poor formulation due to lack of knowledge in the English language.

If you have hard to understand the above, please don't hesitate to ask me for a clarification.

Yours Sincerely, Bengt "WOLF" Johansson.

The WOLF is Neither People's Competitor Nor His Enemy.
The WOLF is a Fellow Creature With Whom The Earth Must Be Shared.
25 REPLIES 25

Chino
Level 15
The M.2 x4 shares bandwidth with the PCIE_X8_4 slot. That means that it will not affect the operation of the PCIE_X16/X8_3 slot that you are planning to use. Rest assured that both of your GPUs will be running at x16/x16.

This is my config hope it helps.

I thought i would update the forum with my findings on the Sata - Sata Express and M.2

So having finished my build last night of my RE5 board i have the the following configuration.

M.2 - Samsung XP941 512, this runs at around 1092 MB/s
Sata ports (Intel Raid) 1-4 has four 2TB raid 5 drives

Intel Sata Express ports - Two M500 SSD running Raid 0 has data transfer rates of 1102 MB/s

This is also with PCI-e GTX 780 TI in slot 1 and 3

This board is great.......
Obsidian 800D Case
Rampage Extreme 5 X99
Intel i7 5960x Extreme Edition
Corsair H100i Cooler
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16G 2800 MHz
Samsung XP941 512 GB (Boot)
2 x M500 SSD Crucial (Raid 0)
4 x WD 2TB (RAID 5)
2 x GFX 780 TI Kingpin (SLI)

spamhead wrote:
This is my config hope it helps.

I thought i would update the forum with my findings on the Sata - Sata Express and M.2

So having finished my build last night of my RE5 board i have the the following configuration.

M.2 - Samsung XP941 512, this runs at around 1092 MB/s
Sata ports (Intel Raid) 1-4 has four 2TB raid 5 drives

Intel Sata Express ports - Two M500 SSD running Raid 0 has data transfer rates of 1102 MB/s

This is also with PCI-e GTX 780 TI in slot 1 and 3

This board is great.......

Hey Spamhead, nice rig by the way!. Guy I want it to ask you about the Samsung M.2 card that you have as a boot drive, Does it work better than have (2) SSDs in Raid 0, you haven't any problem booting from it, Does it loads windows quicker and Application quicker than a Raid 0 set, the reason why I ask all this question is to get your opinion personally cause I have seen in other forums about people not been happy with this card, Also the most important question of all, Do you have this card in the M.2 port next to the 24 pin cable or do you have it mount on the Pci-e card in on of the lci-e slot. Have you tray to set it to either or options to see if it boot, thanks for the replay guy I'm interest in one of this card and i haven't buy one cause the confusion around forums, they are expensive and hard to get. Ones again nice rig that you have there, tray to invest in some water cooling to get the most out of those cards guy.
"I'm not an OCer just looking a good MENTOR". UyqtCojoXecQlo.". 😄

I have had no problems booting at all from the M.2 Slot. I have taken some screen shots of the M.2 disk speeds and the Raid 0 SSD's.

The Raid 0 SSD's come out slightly quicker but i am not sure you will notice the difference.

Obsidian 800D Case
Rampage Extreme 5 X99
Corsair H100i Cooler
4 x WD 2TB (RAID 5)

Dear Spamhead.

There was one thing that struck me while surfing around in the quest for potential computer components and specifications. And that was that the Asus Rampage V Extreme M.2 Socket 3 support PCI Express x4 Generation 3.0 while the Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 NGFF PCIe x4 2.0 MLC NAND 2280 SSD only support PCI Express Generation 2.0. In that way we can't use the benefit of the ASUS R5E PCI Express x4 Generation 3.0. Am I right or am I wrong in this matter?

Since I found you very nice and informative it would be helpful if you can give me your opinion in this question.

By the way, if you use FaceBook you can find me under "Bengt WOLF Johansson" as have wolf-picture at the front page. Would be nice to have you as a friend 😄

Regards, Bengt "WOLF" Johansson.

TWP-Wolf,

If i understand you correctly and forgive me if i am wrong. I think the XP941 is currently the fastest M.2 SSD available and uses all 4 channels to obtain it's high speed thus utilising the M.2 Socket on the RV5 Motherboard.

The reference to M.2 Socket 3 PCIe x4 Genaration 3 refers to:

M.2 Socket 3 (Actual Socket type) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2
PCIe X4 is it uses four lanes
Generation three is the PCIe socket type.

Because the PCI x4 limit the card is pushed to it's limit, delivering such high transfer rate.

This i must say is only my understanding and there are a lot more technical people in this forum who will be able to correct my post.

I must say though i love this card, it really is quick...

I must start to overclock my system soon i think i have let it settle long enough...

Thanks
Obsidian 800D Case
Rampage Extreme 5 X99
Corsair H100i Cooler
4 x WD 2TB (RAID 5)

TWP-WOLF
Level 7
Dear Chino & Spamhead.

Thank you SO much for your help and dedication to sort out my computer technical questions.

So if I understood it right I can without any problem run the following configuration at the ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EXTREME?

Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 M-KEY NGFF PCIe x4 SSD (MZHPU512HCGL).
ASUS ROG MATRIX GTX 780 Ti PLATINUM EDITION Slot 1 PCI-E 3.0 x16 SLI.
ASUS ROG MATRIX GTX 780 Ti PLATINUM EDITION Slot 3 PCI-E 3.0 x16 SLI.

By the way Spamhead, nice configuration you set up there, it really inspires me 😄

I will post pictures in a forum album of mine when the new computer is finish for you to see.

With that, I wish you both all the best for future to come.

Regards, WOLF.

Yes, as this is how mine is setup. I have the Kingpin edition of the TI cards. Next month come The 4K2K monitor and COD in 4k :cool:
Obsidian 800D Case
Rampage Extreme 5 X99
Corsair H100i Cooler
4 x WD 2TB (RAID 5)

So i thought i would show you my setup :cool:

Obsidian 800D Case
Rampage Extreme 5 X99