cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5960x OC question

mikeblunt2020
Level 7
I just got my RVE, 5960x, 32GB of DDR4 2400 and all the other parts for my new X99 build. I pieced together everything, everything seemed to be working well, so I started overclocking.

I used Raja's guide as a basis. I believe it mentions that 4.6ghz at 1.3v is "good", 4.5ghz at 1.3v is "average", and 4.4ghz at 1.3v is "below average" (in terms of quality of CPU). So I started at 4.5ghz at 1.3v, noticed it wasn't stable, and started decrementing the frequency from there. I got down to 4.2ghz at 1.3v and still wasn't stable, so I started raising the voltage and I ended up with an OC of 4.2ghz at 1.32v. Due to thermal limitations (H110 cooler) I probably can't really push past 1.32v. Did I end up with just an extremely poor CPU to top out at 4.2ghz? Or are there other settings/tunables that I need to play with?

I am using 100 bclk (100 x 42). I tried playing around with 125 bclk with no real success.

All of the above tuning was done with the memory running at stock DDR4-2133. After I ended up with 4.2ghz @ 1.32v, I went and set XMP and verified stability again.

Any thoughts on the above situation?

Thanks!
29 REPLIES 29

Praz
Level 13
Hello

That might be all the CPU can do. Leave cache speed at default and try bumping up VCCIN to 1.9V or 1.95V. Be sure to have direct airflow across the VRM when doing so.

Chino
Level 15
You've pretty much reach the limits of your H110. You'd need a custom watercooling setup for anything in the range of 1.3V to 1.35V. An overclock of 4.2GHz is respectable in my books.

Chris123NT
Level 7
Is your CPU a 3922B903 by chance? If so it's a pretty poor batch in OC potential.

However I'm also noticing that what people show as "stable" in AIDA for example, is not stable in prime95. I need about the same voltage as you to do 4.2 and pass prime, but I can pass AIDA at 4.4 with the same volts, but prime will instantly BSOD the machine.

mikeblunt2020
Level 7
Thanks for the feedback everyone. My batch is a 3421C232. My stability tests were done using OCCT.

How many fans do you have on your H110? Try putting 4 with a push/pull config and see if that gets you anymore. I know that we are talking apples and oranges, but I was able to get a stable 4.5 with my X58 and 980X with a H100 in a push/pull set up.
5930K @4.5
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz

I am completely stable @4.3 with 1.28v (prime 95 tested for more than 3 hours) but I could never get XMP to work on 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3000 ram. I could only boot @2666 unless I put CPU at default 3.0ghz. I am going to test the OC (both CPU/Ram) putting one stick of Ram at a time as per G.Skill's recommendation.

The point I am trying to make is that your not able to OC'ng your CPU may also be caused by your RAM. That was clearly the case for me.

Randolla wrote:
How many fans do you have on your H110? Try putting 4 with a push/pull config and see if that gets you anymore. I know that we are talking apples and oranges, but I was able to get a stable 4.5 with my X58 and 980X with a H100 in a push/pull set up.

Two extra fans might be able to lower the temperatures by a few degrees at best. Changing the cooling solution would be more effective.

dhc0329 wrote:
I am completely stable @4.3 with 1.28v (prime 95 tested for more than 3 hours) but I could never get XMP to work on 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3000 ram. I could only boot @2666 unless I put CPU at default 3.0ghz. I am going to test the OC (both CPU/Ram) putting one stick of Ram at a time as per G.Skill's recommendation.

The point I am trying to make is that your not able to OC'ng your CPU may also be caused by your RAM. That was clearly the case for me.

Running high frequency RAM will tax your CPU harder and you will see the need to use more voltage to achieve stability. Are you enabling the XMP profile or setting your RAM up manually? if you're rolling with a manual setup, don't forget to use the 125 strap. Also increasing the VCCSA a little can help with RAM stability at high frequencies.

Yes, I used 125 bclk with no luck. I will try raising the vcore to 1.3+ tonight but where can I find this VCCSA setting in bios?

Chino
Level 15