cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Level Up???

mikeblunt2020
Level 7
I was playing around with my R5E this evening. I had manually overclocked to 4.2 (100x42 at 1.32v) and the system was stable in Windows but didn't seem to be a happy camper rebooting or resuming from sleep, so I was curious how the "CPU Level Up" setting in the BIOS worked, so I selected CPU Level Up to 4.4, and it said it would reboot and start tuning. Well, it rebooted, loaded into Windows, wasn't stable, so I went back into the BIOS and it set my VCORE to 1.8v!!! Is this supposed to happen? isn't 1.8v extremely excessive for VCORE? Is it possible this may have damaged my CPU? I immediately reverted back to stock settings. Can an ASUS engineer perhaps have a look at that functionality? That seems extremely dangerous and could lead to hardware failure.
10 REPLIES 10

Chino
Level 15
Are you sure you weren't looking at the wrong voltage?

By the way, which CPU are you using? And which version BIOS? I'll have a look at it.

No, it was definitely vcore. I am using a 5960x on latest bios (0603). So far the system seems to be working still but hopefully it didn't do any permanent damage.

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is way way to high.

If your system has issues waking from sleep then it is most likely memory and not the core frequency that is unstable. Fine tune your ram and see if your system is happier.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I had similar experience, I choose cpu level up to 4.2 and after reboot the bios was reporting 1.53 volts on my 5930k

badsector wrote:
I had similar experience, I choose cpu level up to 4.2 and after reboot the bios was reporting 1.53 volts on my 5930k

What version BIOS is your motherboard using?

Chino wrote:
What version BIOS is your motherboard using?

Chino
Level 15
So I ran a few tests with the 5960X and the latest 0603 BIOS. Here are the results.

For my particular 5960X, CPU Level UP was using 1.22V for a 4.2GHz overclock and 1.32V for 4.4GHz. I ran both tests various times clearing my BIOS between each run. Basically results were pretty much spot on.

The automatic tuning rules from ASUS are some of the best. They would never overvolt your CPU with a dangerous amount of Vcore. I see that both of you updated to the latest BIOS. A bad flash could be a possibility in that case. Download the BIOS file again and put it into an empty FAT32 USB pendrive. Clear your CMOS. Reflash using the EZ Flash Utility in the BIOS. Once it finishes, clear your CMOS again. Load the optimized defaults. Then you should be good to go.

badsector
Level 7
Thanks Chino... I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back.

I think I found the problem in my case... I've been out of the overclock scene for a while and talked to a co-worker about the issue and we think the overclocking was not the cpu level-up function but that I was using prime95 to test the new OC stability after boot up... I was not aware of the prime95/haswell voltage issue