cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g750jm running hot.

StarryEternitie
Level 7
First, right off the bat, I'm new to the forum of ROG so I don't really know if this post should be posted here or not.
So I have an Asus g750jm and I don't just use it for gaming, I also use it for video encoding, and I need to do that quite frequently. But one day I was curious about what the temps were in my system, so I downloaded a couple programs, HWiNFO and Core Temp to try and figure out my questions. But what I saw was that my system was running under load around 85°C-95°C and that got me worried because the little I know about computers is that your cpu should run a bit under 80°C.
Is this really really bad? Should I underclock my system?
For those curious this happens when I'm on a flat table top surface without any blockage of intake/output fans.
(The cpu is an i7-4700hq)
14 REPLIES 14

hmscott
Level 12
StarryEternities wrote:
First, right off the bat, I'm new to the forum of ROG so I don't really know if this post should be posted here or not.
So I have an Asus g750jm and I don't just use it for gaming, I also use it for video encoding, and I need to do that quite frequently. But one day I was curious about what the temps were in my system, so I downloaded a couple programs, HWiNFO and Core Temp to try and figure out my questions. But what I saw was that my system was running under load around 85°C-95°C and that got me worried because the little I know about computers is that your cpu should run a bit under 80°C.
Is this really really bad? Should I underclock my system?
For those curious this happens when I'm on a flat table top surface without any blockage of intake/output fans.
(The cpu is an i7-4700hq)

StarryEternities, a bunch of us worked to help out dblkk, with the same problem, overheating CPU due to video editing / encoding.

These are the results thread, going back in chronological order (approx):

Things to try ~CPU overheating JM/JS/JZ models~
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48594-Things-to-try-CPU-overheating-JM-JS-JZ-models&highlig...

Thermals for G750 JS model? - when dblk was looking to upgrade from the JM.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47093-Thermals-for-G750-JS-model&highlight=video+editing

Asus G750 jm compared to Asus G750 JS
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46817-Asus-G750-jm-compared-to-Asus-G750-JS&highlight=video...

New Asus g750 with 860m
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46377-New-Asus-g750-with-860m&highlight=video+editing

Rog g750 jm to js upgrade?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46715-Rog-g750-jm-to-js-upgrade

dblkk ended up getting an MSI, not what I would have suggested, I thought a JZ would have been better, but after going through so many JM/JS's I can understand his choice, and he is happy with his choice.

I hope the XTU info on how to undervolt, run the cores at 99% to disable Turbo, and set the Core Multipliers helps you. You can also tune the number of cores being used by setting the Affinity of the process that starts the rendering processes.

If you have any questions after reading these threads, please let us know 🙂

hmscott wrote:
StarryEternities, a bunch of us worked to help out dblkk, with the same problem, overheating CPU due to video editing / encoding.

I hope the XTU info on how to undervolt, run the cores at 99% to disable Turbo, and set the Core Multipliers helps you. You can also tune the number of cores being used by setting the Affinity of the process that starts the rendering processes.
)

Thank you so much for the help. I just did some undervolting. When I put the dynamic cpu voltage to -50.78 and the multiplier of 3 and 4 to 30x from 32x I manage to have my system with the 5 minutes stress test deliver 80°C-86°C. (Got 99% utilization and 2.99GHz)
I also tried -54.68 and got 2.99GHz, got around 97% utilization, but got around 77°C-84°C.
Should I continue to go down to 80°C under heavy heavy load? Or should I keep it at 77°C-84°C or is 80°C-86°C okay?

StarryEternities wrote:
Thank you so much for the help. I just did some undervolting. When I put the dynamic cpu voltage to -50.78 and the multiplier of 3 and 4 to 30x from 32x I manage to have my system with the 5 minutes stress test deliver 80°C-86°C. (Got 99% utilization and 2.99GHz)
I also tried -54.68 and got 2.99GHz, got around 97% utilization, but got around 77°C-84°C.
Should I continue to go down to 80°C under heavy heavy load? Or should I keep it at 77°C-84°C or is 80°C-86°C okay?

Test your JM for stability before going down further. I undervolted mine plenty and it seems fine till I noticed lagging/stuttering when under load. Ended up undervolting to -30 to prevent those problems.

Caastiel wrote:
Test your JM for stability before going down further. I undervolted mine plenty and it seems fine till I noticed lagging/stuttering when under load. Ended up undervolting to -30 to prevent those problems.

Caastiel, interesting, I wonder if that is due to the iGPU getting hit as well, at the same time. With me I get a BSOD +-5 mV from stable - no stuttering in between.

Caastiel wrote:

Thanks for the advice, did a 20 minutes stress test, not stuttering. Also I did a two and a half to three hour stress test of Borderlands 2. If that counts.

StarryEternities wrote:

StarryEternities, it looks like it is going to be a balance between performance throughput and temperature, so you might want to build a couple of profiles and stay on the low temp profile most of the time, and when you need to push through a bunch of work, tap the high performance profile.

In comparison I keep the XTU profile on high all the time, but use Windows Balanced Power plan with CPU Min/Max at 0%/100% so the CPU can cool down between work. Think of the Balanced plan, but for an XTU profile, and High Performance 100%/100% power plan for heavy throughput work.

Nice work btw 🙂

hmscott wrote:
StarryEternities, it looks like it is going to be a balance between performance throughput and temperature, so you might want to build a couple of profiles and stay on the low temp profile most of the time, and when you need to push through a bunch of work, tap the high performance profile.

In comparison I keep the XTU profile on high all the time, but use Windows Balanced Power plan with CPU Min/Max at 0%/100% so the CPU can cool down between work. Think of the Balanced plan, but for an XTU profile, and High Performance 100%/100% power plan for heavy throughput work.

Nice work btw 🙂

Thanks again! And thanks for the advice. I've been stressed a bit recently and realizing my temps were high I was very worried. Couldn't find any articles about it, I obviously didn't look hard enough. Thanks you!

Caastiel
Level 7
Out of curiosity, what are your temps when not under load?

Caastiel wrote:
Out of curiosity, what are your temps when not under load?

From memory, my cpu was anywhere between 40°C-50°C while idle(ish).