cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73jh Tosslink Audio Issues

Pyro411
Level 7
First, yes I do know SPIDIF over Tosslink is not an advertised feature in the G73Jh but it is there so I'm wondering if anyone here has gotten it working reliably.

When I plug the fiber in, the cable does light up so I know it is in the laptop electrically at the very least, the problem is, is it there Logically "Ie the IC is there to properly drive audio over it" or is it just a massive driver issue?

I have worked with Asus on this but they mostly just told me to wait & see from the Phone support so I come here 🙂 with hopes one of my peers has come up with a hacked inf file that enables the port within the realtek software as a digital port and can drive the audio through fiber reliably.

I have tried all driver revisions I can find on the support site directly related to the G73jh & newer ones when downloading directly for Audio only & not specifying a model. I have not tried older versions of drivers yet but will be trying those this weekend.

I am currently running Bios ver 211 with the audio drivers 2.51 released from Realtek on 8/3/2010
11 REPLIES 11

Retired
Not applicable
are you using a converter of some sort? can you take a picture of it?

Retired
Not applicable
I'm not sure exactly what kind of setup or converter you're using but have you already verified that you have the correct output selected in your Windows or Realtek audio settings? For S/PDIF you need to select "Realtek Digital Output" from the Volume Mixer speaker icon in the bottom right hand system tray in Windows.

ASUS OC_Support wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what kind of setup or converter you're using but have you already verified that you have the correct output selected in your Windows or Realtek audio settings? For S/PDIF you need to select "Realtek Digital Output" from the Volume Mixer speaker icon in the bottom right hand system tray in Windows.

Sorry for the delay in reply I was out of town for the weekend.

Nope no converter of any sort, I'm just to use the S/PDIF port built into the laptop that shares the same hole as the headphone jack "Not a documented feature but it is physically there" it shows up as a Realtek Digital Output in the Playback devices but does not show up in the realtek hd audio manager as a digital output but does show the hdmi port as a digital output.

Sadly I have also run across the same issue with the N71JQ where the Fiber does not show in the realtek configuration.

I have gotten it to put out audio under rare cases but nothing reliable, in most cases it will work when I have WMP on but paused than go to the speaker configuration wizard and than it puts out audio on 1 channel temporarily than shuts down again 😞

Included in this post is the display of the Realtek HD Audio Manager that I'm seeing with every driver rev I've tried.

This is also what I've seen after the system came directly from the factory & what I've seen when I did a full reload from the recovery DVDs

Pyro411
Level 7
Quick update to this thread. I have grabbed a spare hard drive and loaded it with a Microsoft Action pack edition of Windows 7 64bit Ultimate and did a full clean load with drivers directly from the CD from Asus, sadly same issue cropped up.

I have tried a few more driver revisions trying to get this working as well from the Windows 7 Packages from Realtek Marked version 252, down to the driver package from the G50Vt on support.asus.com which worked for the Fiber on that laptop.

Running Bios 211, plus the Video firmware fix, Catalyst 10.8 Drivers and Realtek 252 currently

Retired
Not applicable
OK, just for fun of it I hooked 3.5mm toslink in the headphone port and hooked other end to my logitech z5500 speaker system I use on my desk top and to get it to work was easy. Go to realtek hd audio manager icon in bottom right corner of your screen right click on it then left click on sound manager. When the screen opens left click on the digital output tab on the top in the box for digital output upper right click the set this as defualt device and it is just that easy. I'm running realtek r2.54 driver. I did this with my surround sound on my tv system as well.

Did this as well hooked to my LG 46" tv with hdmi and from tv I have a digital optical outport that I run to my RCA 7.1 surround sound reciever and it works playing that way as well.

Pyro411
Level 7
Spunkgamer, I've been doing some digging some people are having the issue some aren't. I'm connecting to a Harman Kardon AVR645, my G50Vt worked on it my G1 worked on it, I also went as far as using the fiber cable plugged into my 360 to try on the laptop with the different cable / port & no such luck. Looks like I'll have to send this unit out for RMA soon 😞

Retired
Not applicable
Pyro411 wrote:
Spunkgamer, I've been doing some digging some people are having the issue some aren't. I'm connecting to a Harman Kardon AVR645, my G50Vt worked on it my G1 worked on it, I also went as far as using the fiber cable plugged into my 360 to try on the laptop with the different cable / port & no such luck. Looks like I'll have to send this unit out for RMA soon 😞

You have all your drivers up to date realtek r2.54 and ati hdmi 2.49 from the realtek website? When you plug your 3.5mm headphone toslink adparter into the g73 headphone port do you see it light up looking at the end of the none plugged side? Check with a light in the headphone port on laptop to make sure that there is nothing in front of the optical sender dirt or dust try a quick burst of canned air in the hole. Also some people don't understand that when switching to the digital output device you need to check ok button on bottom of the realtek box after setting it as defualt or setting dos not stay.

Pyro411
Level 7
Spunkgamer, I've been in the field for about 13 years, I do know how to click ok 🙂

The jack is clean the drivers are up to date the cable lights up as stated in the first post.

Windows shows the Realtek Digital Output in playback devices, but under digital output on the realtek software it only shows the HDMI port. No signal is being passed by the fiber in windows 7 32bit windows 7 64bit ubuntu 32bit ubuntu 64bit versions 10.04 and 10.10. Each was a clean load onto a new hard drive including a reload with the recovery disks instead of the clean Windows 7 Disks

Retired
Not applicable
Ok just to get this right, in realtek digital output box it will not show optical port it shows mic. headphone and hdmi on the right of the box. For me to play using optical I plug in the toslink 3.5mm into headphone and device to be used for me it's logitech z5500 then I open sound manager from realtek and make digital output the defualt device then click OK. At that point I get no sound from laptop speakers anymore and it plays through my logitech surround system. For me it's just that easy.