cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

games freezing

grassy
Level 12
When playing Games my games freeze for a couple of seconds and then resumes, does anyone know how to fix this problem. They are steam based games. I have nothing overclocked and am using a 3960x cpu and r4extreme and gtx 690 with 16gig dominator ram. Thankyou
FAME IS A MASK THAT EATS INTO THE FACE
48 REPLIES 48

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hey Grassy you good mate.

A couple of things can cause this. Most often it is a conflict of drivers. What you can do is either remove all your graphic drivers using the appropriate tool for your GPU in safe mode and then do a clean install again. Or easier do a roll back to an earlier restore point when your system worked just fine.

Other things that can cause this type of behaviour is your system may have some nasty stuff working away in the back ground. Run a top AV application to see if that is the case.
Check your OC if it is stable. Test by running your system on defaults and this includes your graphic card too.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

grassy
Level 12
All good mate just been away working and havnt been around for a while. Got to earn the money to keep up my habit(hehe). Thanks for the reply, i will have my dinner and look into it following your instructions. Thanks

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries I will check back in a few hours and see how it turns out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey grassy! good to see you about!...even better to see the Vengeance has gone and some nice Doms in there 😄

You still got two 690s in there? have you updated driver recently...maybe role back to a known working one like the Viz says

Have you updated BIOS on the RIVE...maybe roll back there if so...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hey grassy! good to see you about!...even better to see the Vengeance has gone and some nice Doms in there 😄

You still got two 690s in there? have you updated driver recently...maybe role back to a known working one like the Viz says

Have you updated BIOS on the RIVE...maybe roll back there if so...
Hi Arne, just using the 1 690 and have been for some time now as the wife has the other.

grassy
Level 12
Did an install of the latest drivers and got rid of the old ones using "Driver cleaner pro" and the problem is still there only a little worse, so i might have to roll back to my previous driver. I think the whole idea of drivers being introduced is so we can play the latest games right? so it does not make any sense to keep rolling back to previous drivers. I have nothing overclocked and everything is stock standard and i have also gone into "task scheduler" and ended 3 running processes and still to no avail so i decided to run the game in offline mode and still my games freeze for a short time but with the new driver (340:52) the games are freezing for a second or two longer. My bios is stock also.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yikes....Which games are playing up....how much VRAM do those cards have and what resolution are you trying to push and at what settings...might be memory issues? But if an older driver works then wont be that...

Admittedly yes, in principle newer should be better but not always the case...some Nvidia drivers can be a nice downgrade for some....I sometimes go to the Nvidia Forum and have a look at how many posts the new drivers get when released...the more posts the longer I keep the old driver 😉

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yikes....Which games are playing up....how much VRAM do those cards have and what resolution are you trying to push and at what settings...might be memory issues? But if an older driver works then wont be that...

Admittedly yes, in principle newer should be better but not always the case...some Nvidia drivers can be a nice downgrade for some....I sometimes go to the Nvidia Forum and have a look at how many posts the new drivers get when released...the more posts the longer I keep the old driver 😉
The older driver works a little better. The problem is still there with the older driver hence my post. I am playing "f1 race stars via steam and "Black flag" via ubisoft. My res settings are at 2560x1600 and all settings are maxed out. The 690 according to nvidia should have no trouble handling those games. I have even dropped back my res to 1080p in black flag and it still freezes for a couple of seconds.In black flag there are some settings that are not maxed out.

grassy wrote:
in black flag and it still freezes for a couple of seconds.In black flag there are some settings that are not maxed out.

OK 2GB...I was just wondering...sometimes if you raise MSAA etc to max for instance at 1440 you will need way more than 2GB vram.... even at 1080p you could break 2GB and get stalls...

But the guys favour nuking the drive which is always a good thing to do after a while IMO....cures many ills

By the way if you have Gforce experience installed get rid of that ASAP....