cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I upgrade from this 4770K ?

class101
Level 7
Hey guy if I have a 4770K @ 4.5Ghz @ 1.370V / 16GB DDR3 @ 2400Mhz on Sabertooth Z87 do you think this will be Night a Day to upgrade to 5960X and RVE ?

Below are some of my numbers and as far I check 5510 is bottom of hwbot ranking so I knew I had a bad 4770K but not sure my overclocking experience is so small, IMO I doubt the upgrade is worth but maybe I'm wrong

I hear people are getting ~8000 hwbot ranking with 5960X and RVE but not sure how it compares near 5500

My 4770K below with a simple overclock

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rBPytZNJvkI/VBMePkNYgXI/AAAAAAAAA2Q/5LAPgCWMWJ8/s2560/4770k.png (2560x1440)
6 REPLIES 6

Skunk
Level 8
What is your work load? It is going to depend a lot on how multi-threaded the applications you run are. Check out the reviews of the i7-5XXX chips, too. A lot of them have comparisons heads-up.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The difference will be huge depending on what it is you do.

if you game then no need right now, unless you run multiple graphic cards.

The new platform is a major change, you need the CPU the Motherboard and new DDR4 ram. Is it worth it, heck yes if you can afford it then go for it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

class101
Level 7
About my work load no clue huhu don't really know how to check that I guess it is much low I use the computer for various home work stuff like programming compiling, sometimes reverse engineering and I like a lot gaming too but I don't let it running 24/7

I have seen some memory read numbers of the DDR4 indeed when mine is around 30000MB/s read write the DDR4 is twice as fast around 60000.

Yep I have the fund I will just keep the GTX780 and maybe the HX750W because anyway I'm carrying an old raid0 with 7200rpm disks just in sata2 so I'm limited by this too and my watercooling H60 will be too short I believe for this cpu

Thanks guys for your recommandations

Menthol
Level 14
The cooling of an H60 is nowhere near what is needed for a 5960X, SSD's over HHD's is a night and day difference and can make any PC feel like a new machine

Chino
Level 15
The X99 platform packs a lot of performance. If you require the extra performance to boost your productivity, it's well worth it in my book.

Yeah I have seen some of your recommendations I was thinking in getting the Noctua NH-D15 instead or a ekwb to also cool the graphic card you seem to use such hardware if I'm not wrong