cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GTX 770 OC 4GB - driver failure? (solid color or flashing display crash)

chloeroddy
Level 7
Hey everyone, thanks in advance for reading this - it's been a frustrating past day or so trying to deal with this issue; I'll try to give all the details I have regarding this problem but I'm sure I'll forget to add something, so just let me know if I forgot something critical!

I have the GPU stated above. I built a new rig on Friday and went through the Windows installation on Saturday. All was dandy until I (in hindsight, stupidly) took the CD that came with the GPU and inserted it into my disk reader. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but this coincided with the first incident of the problem I'm now struggling with. Basically, display output (through HDMI) to my monitor craps out, sometimes by outputting a single, seemingly random solid color (it was usually red or a shade of blue at first, now sometimes it just turns to black) or a flashing screen. The first few times I had this problem, I didn't think it was a big deal, because upon rebooting I was able to get past the logon screen and actually function for a reasonable amount of time (2 hours?) before the problem happened again. Another crash occurred, for instance, not while playing a game, but right after I exited the game window.

Now, however, I'm not even able to get on to Windows - the problem usually occurs right after I sign on. It says "Welcome," and then outputs the crash screen almost immediately afterwards. I tried un- and re-installing the drivers while using integrated graphics on my i7-4790k (which worked for a while, but for some reason is now not outputting...), which did not solve the problem. I used Display Driver Uninstaller a couple of times as well. Installing previous drivers did not help, either. At this point, I was able to run in Safe Mode, but after the integrated graphics stopped outputting to the display, I wasn't able to boot to SM.

A few hours ago, I re-installed Windows, which allowed me to successfully operate again. The first thing I did was install the GPU drivers, via Windows Update. As soon as I restart, bam, the problem returns. I've googled this issue, and it seems like several people with this specific GPU have also had this problem, but it's unclear to me how to solve it. It looks like people with the 2GB version of the card updated the GPU's BIOS and that solved it, but there is no BIOS update for the 4GB version.

Any help would be much, much, much appreciated!

CPU: i7-4790k (currently not overclocked) cooled by a H100i
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97N Gaming 5
GPU: ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-4GD5
PSU: EVGA G2 Series 750w
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-2133 16GB
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO
HDD: WD Red 2GB
47 REPLIES 47

Nate152
Hello chloeroddy, welcome to the ROG forum.

The first thing you want to do after installing windows is install the LAN driver from the motherboard disk then install the chipset driver, then install the Intel Management Engine Interface driver and any usb drivers. After this then install the graphics driver.

Have you done this?

chloeroddy
Level 7
Hey Nate, thanks for the response. I didn't install those things in that order - I'll try that when I get back from class in a couple of hours.

OK, I just tried that, and for some reason the NVIDIA control panel was there after I installed the other drivers but not the graphics driver? It showed up after I restarted after installing the other drivers. I'm a bit confused. Also, the problem still returns.

Yeah, for some reason the NVIDIA control panel shows up right after I restart. That time I just downloaded the LAN driver before restarting. I should mention that I do have a mobo with built-in WiFi.

Nate152

I set a restore point immediately after I entered Windows for the first time, so at least doing this is a lot easier now. Trying to find some silver lining to this situation!

chloeroddy
Level 7
I actually did do that just now, twice - that's when I encountered the issue of NVIDIA automatically downloading drivers. I'll try unplugging the network after I install the first set of drivers.

Nate152