cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whole system crashes when playing specific games [G73JW]

teekaleek
Level 7
Hey guys, I threw in a ticket with Blizzard tech support but figured I'd post here to see if anyone else is having the same problems as I am... I'm experiencing some random crashing (laptop turns completely off) with my girlfriends G73JW-A1 *ONLY* while she's playing World of Warcraft. She uses it for a various games including the SW:TOR/Diablo 3 betas, WoW, League of Legends, Rift, APB Reloaded, SC2, etc.. but the only time it ever shows any issues is while playing WoW. This happens no matter what game settings she tries, but she pretty much always plays on low.

I've ran Furmark various times on all settings and each time it passes without any issues (link to most recent test here: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/furmark_score_190.php?id=220818)
I also keep HWinfo64 running while she plays, and the temperatures are quite normal.. The CPU temperature hasn't reached over 64 degrees (celsius), and the GPU seems to fluctuate between 63 and 68 degrees, never reaching 70.

its very random due to the fact that there is never any sure interval before restarts.. i've seen it shut off after the laptop being on for a total of 10 minutes and i've also seen her go 4-5 hours on WoW without an issue.

I've updated every driver possible with the information from this thread, but am still stumped with what it could be - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

any ideas are appreciated, thanks in advance.
29 REPLIES 29

JRd1st
Level 12
Does she play on WiFi or LAN?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

teekaleek
Level 7
She plays on LAN with wifi and bluetooth both disabled

i also forgot to mention that the windows error log doesn't have a chance to save the error info before it reboots, so all reports there are blank/inconclusive

JRd1st
Level 12
The game is updated? You said you already updated EVERYTHING, so it would be stupid to ask you if you updated your video driver . . .

I don't really know a lot about WoW (besides that episode of SouthPark, lol) but that game causes a lot of people grief, from what I can see on Google.

The only thing I can suggest is to run Memtest86 on each ramstick separately. Also, for some reason, the idea of telling you to install and run CCleaner popped into my mind . . .

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

teekaleek
Level 7
Yeah all the drivers have been updated within the last week.. i've tried both the 280 and 285 drivers posted in the stickied thread. Ccleaner is something i run on her computer quite regularly, but i'll definitely give memtest86 a shot and report back with the info from it.

thanks for taking the time to suggest some things to try

No problemo!

Good luck!

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

teekaleek
Level 7
So i left memtest86 running through 8 passes... all which passed with no errors.

i received a response from blizzard... exactly the type of useless response i was expecting from them..

Based off the information you have provided, I would like to ask a few questions to see what has been remedied to try to address the issue.

1) Have you updated your addons recently with Curse Client?

Sometimes when these addons are not updated or are no longer working, believe it or not, they can cause disconnections in the game.

To test this, once you log in, click on the AddOns button and attempt to disable them. After they are disabled try to play the game for as long as you can to see if it will disconnect.

2) What type of internet connection are you using?

Wireless connections are normally not supported as they are unstable and can cause disconnections as well.

3) Have you considered trying to update your Network Card?

Sometimes out of date network card drivers can also cause the game to crash as well.

obviously did not even bother to read my ticket as i explained it very clearly

any other ideas of what it may be? i'm really not doubting its the game itself as nothing else she plays/does shows any signs of instability.. not being able to figure it out is driving me crazy

Try swapping the positions of your ramsticks.

Does your gf use a mouse or the touchpad?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Chastity
Level 10
Also check your OS Update history and see what has changed recently. Maybe some update needs to be reinstalled.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

teekaleek
Level 7
Hi, back with an update for you guys...

Tried swapping ram and letting her play for a while... worked fine for the first couple of hours but still proceeded to crash.. I was logging with HWINFO64 while it crashed and the last line logged shows cpu @ 62 celcius and GPU at 66 which is well below the normal temps i get while playing demanding games... so i know 100% that it is not overheating..

As for the OS updates, I've verified everything i can possibly update is up to date, including the game itself

A little history on this issue: she started having this issue last year around this time and we put in a couple trouble tickets... they ended up suggesting an RMA so we did just that... Asus sent the laptop back with no reports of troubles so we cancelled her account. Between February (when she cancelled) and this October (when she renewed) the laptop did not restart/shut off/show any signs of issues whatsoever even while playing multiple other higher demanding games.

i just don't get it, and each trouble ticket i send in only frustrates me further.. it honestly sounds like their technical support isn't even reading my tickets

oh ps: she normally uses a USB mouse but it will happen using either. trackpad is disabled 99% of the time though.

now they're trying to deflect me back to asus to RMA once again.