cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVE Only seeing 3 sticks of ram.

jholt
Level 7
Just built a new system, went to power on for the first time. After getting into the bios the board sees only 3 sticks of ram. I cant ever get farther than the bios, In post i get the error "CPU fan error. press F1 to enter setup". I have a waterblock that uses the CPU fan header to light a small LED on the block. I tried to turn the fan off or manual but every time I save and reset I get the came error not allowing me to get to the install screen.

In post it tells me I have 3 keyboards and 1 mouse hooked up.
15 REPLIES 15

Chino
Level 15

jholt
Level 7
RVE
i7 5930K
CORSAIR DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4-21300) CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
GTX 770
2 Force GT SSDs

the cpu pins look fine

jholt
Level 7
Swiftech Apogee XL

jholt wrote:
Swiftech Apogee XL

Thank you for that last piece of information.

To disable the CPU Fan Error message, go into your BIOS and navigate to the Monitor tab. Once you're in that section, scroll down to the CPU Fan Speed option and disable it. Save and exit.

Back to your RAM problem. When installing your CPU block, use a criss cross pattern when tightening your screws. Make sure you don't apply too much pressure and you don't overtighten the screws. When you install your RAM, verify that you've seated them properly. Push them down all the way into the slot until your hear a "click" sound.

Report back your results.

jholt
Level 7
even if I try to boot without using the fan header I still get an error. I guess I can halfway understand if the board needs to see something there since its designated as a CPU fan.

Esta7706
Level 7
Your error message will show (most of the times) when the bios can't get a clean reading on the fan speed or is of the oppinion, that the fan speed is to slow.
So your problem would be, as you said, you connect an LED to the CPU fan connector, therefore getting zero fan information. That's illegal for the CPU fan position (in most Bios versions)

ok let me try it

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Test each stick of ram in the A1 slot. If all are properly detected install the additional modules one at a time in the correct slots as indicated in the manual.

The board is looking for a RPM signal at the CPU fan header. As a LED will not supply this in the Boot section of the UEFI set "Wait For F1 If Error" to disabled. The system should no longer stop with the CPU fan error.