cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VC:Here it is, the first ASUS graphics card from GeForce 900 series.

01_Wolverine
Level 12
Quote:

In terms of design, not much has changed since GTX 780 and R9 280X. By comparing these cards we notice less heat pipes near PCI-E interface, which is probably due to lower thermal requirements.

The cooler shroud is exactly the same. DirectCU II cooling features two fans, which only start working when GPU temperature exceeds 65 C. From that point fans start to spin slowly (500 RPM) until finding the sweat spot between temperature and generated noise. There are some concerns though, that letting GPU heat up so quickly may reduce the lifespan of the processor.

The packaging reveals that STRIX GTX 970 has DIGI+ VRM, 4GB GDDR5 memory and it’s a factory-overclocked solution. Clock speeds were not revealed.

GeForce GTX 970 has 1664 CUDA cores, which in connection with 256-bit interface make a reasonable Kepler GK104 replacement.

Judging from rumored information, this card should cost around $400 – $450. ASUS STRIX GTX 970 will launch on September 19th.

You can see the picture in the following link

http://videocardz.com/52352/asus-strix-geforce-gtx-970-smiles-for-camera
10 REPLIES 10

randyenergy
Level 10
I see the same old connections here.
Is DisplayPort 1.3 in?

randyenergy wrote:
Is DisplayPort 1.3 in?

from Anandtech

Quote:

Wrapping things up, like most VESA standards announcements today’s announcement is more of a beginning than an end for the process. Now that DisplayPort 1.3 is standardized manufacturers can begin developing controllers (and GPUs) around it, which traditionally takes several months. This would put the release of the first DP 1.3 devices in 2015, which we would expect to be further aligned to the product refresh cycles for the necessary GPUs and monitors.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8533/vesa-releases-displayport-13-standard-50-more-bandwidth-new-featu...

Randy you are the first i heard of the cooling system faults. Was it amd or nvidia gpus?

01 Wolverine wrote:
...Randy you are the first i heard of the cooling system faults. Was it amd or nvidia gpus?

I'm not saying it is faulty. Just not good enough. It is about time ASUS comes out with a new cooler.
I was forced to RMA my both ASUS cards (7000 & R9s). I have always used Asus card. But for now I skip it and happy with another brand. The day I see a new and improved cooler, I will be back into Asus ball game.

randyenergy wrote:
I'm not saying it is faulty. Just not good enough. It is about time ASUS comes out with a new cooler.
I was forced to RMA my both ASUS cards (7000 & R9s). I have always used Asus card. But for now I skip it and happy with another brand. The day I see a new and improved cooler, I will be back into Asus ball game.

OK fair enough

randyenergy wrote:
Is DisplayPort 1.3 in?

from Anandtech

Quote:

Wrapping things up, like most VESA standards announcements today’s announcement is more of a beginning than an end for the process. Now that DisplayPort 1.3 is standardized manufacturers can begin developing controllers (and GPUs) around it, which traditionally takes several months. This would put the release of the first DP 1.3 devices in 2015, which we would expect to be further aligned to the product refresh cycles for the necessary GPUs and monitors.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8533/vesa-releases-displayport-13-standard-50-more-bandwidth-new-featu...

Randy you are the first i heard of the cooling system faults. Was it amd or nvidia gpus?

Nate152
I'm anxious to see how the GTX 980 performs up against the GTX 780ti. I was looking around for some specs and game debate finally has them up. So far I'm not impressed with the specs but I'm hoping the GTX 980 surprises me.

Everything looked lower on the GTX 980 vs. the 780ti except the clock speed and the 4GB of VRAM.

Do you all remember the 7800GTX? I remember going from the 7800GTX to the 8800GTX and it was a big performance leap, not the usual 10% - 20%. So I was expecting the same from the 780 to the 980 but I'm having my doubts.

randyenergy
Level 10
And same old DirectCU II cooler. People complained about those coolers. I stay away from Asus cards for now.

Nate152
While the cooler does cool the gpu and VRM's better than a reference cooler, it does not exhaust heat out of the case like a reference cooler which obviously will make the inside of your case warmer. This is most likely what the complaints are about.

The cards with that type of cooler to me are more suited for a test bench.

Nate152 wrote:
While the cooler does cool the gpu and VRM's better than a reference cooler, it does not exhaust heat out of the case like a reference cooler which obviously will make the inside of your case warmer. This is most likely what the complaints are about.

The cards with that type of cooler to me are more suited for a test bench.

Funny, im sick of low performing and noisey blower style coolers, I love my new Asus Direct CU 780 and I have plenty of case airflow, so heat is not an issue in my HAF XB