Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Noisy EMI Interference when using headphones on ROG Front Base (M7H)

Just got my ROG Front Base yesterday,

One observation, using headphones you can hear a lot of annoying EMI noise, such as mouse activity, hard drive activity ETC,
    this was advertised as having "Combine the included Hi-Fi-quality analog-audio front-panel (AAFP) cable with motherboards that have SupremeFX technology for a very high signal quality, with low crosstalk and minimal noise interference."

Which was one of the main reasons I bought it, although the supplied cable is grounded very well there seems to be an issue with EMI noise. A big mistake manufacturers make is they tie Audio Ground to USB ground, this is a BIG NO NO, it should not be tied to any other grounds, just it's own from the header, nearly all case manufacturers tie grounds and it introduces noise.

I still need a longer cable for mine as it doesn't fit in my HAF X, but I have had the device outside of my case and moved cables well away from everything, it's not graphics card as I don't have one at the moment.

When the ROG Base is plugged in using ONLY the AAFP header and not the ROG_EXT/USB or SATA this noise is less pronounced, which leaves me to believe the grounds are all tied on the board. Ideally the Audio ports should be completely isolated from the other components, not sharing a ground and possibly even gaps in the PCB or separate PCB's. I wish ALL case manufacturers would take note. I often have to modify case audio sockets to separate the grounds (Cooler master is one!!)

I will check mine over later with a multimeter and a scope (I'm a time served Electronics engineer and run an Electronics company)

If this is the case I think a new revision is needed or a modification to this board, I will also check how the "Grounding" is wired in to the AAFP cable as if it's incorrect it could be acting as an Antenna to EMI not actually grounding it.

I love the look of the ROG Front Base, but this Audio issue is a big let down, especially given the advertised audio capabilities of the compatible ROG Boards and also the ROG front header, you are on the right track supplying a decent AAFP cable (Albeit too short for 90% of cases) But something is not right.

New ROGer Array

I have the same issue... Is this a faulty device or some of my other components causing this?
    I'm really looking forward fix it....

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array sdmf74's Avatar

Has anyone brought this major issue to Asus' attention? I am using a maximus 7 formula with front base and sennheiser g4me zero headphones. I have tried many different setttings within the realtek supremefx hd audio software but nothing seems to resolve this horrendous noise interference issue. I did NOT have any type of noise feedback while gaming when my headphones were connected to my caselabs front audio jacks. Also mine does not seem to be HDD or mouse interference but just a constant loud feedback noise.
    Has anyone checked the shielding on this AAFP cable, that must be the problem, although it appears to be a thick high quality cable.
    Asus please address this issue cause aside from the interference the audio sounds great.
    ASUS Maximus 9 Formula, Intel I7 7700k, EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti K|ngP|n
    G Skill Trident Z RGB 3600 32GB, EVGA supernova 1300G2, CaseLabs Merlin SM8, Wooting One/Ducky One TKL RGB, Razer Basilisk, EK Velocity RGB w/ Alphacool Monsta & HL Nemesis GTX360, Samsung 960 pro 512gb(OS), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb(games), Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Asus PG279Q 165HZ, BenQ 144hz, Windows 10 pro

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Same issue here and its very bad. Considering the hype about this low noise audio input thanks to the amazing quality shielded cable (that is so short it hardly reaches the connection on the motherboard).
    Can anyone confirm that the USB and Audio connections on the front base have a separate ground or is it linked cause having them share the same ground is a known issue for causing Interference in front panel connections.
    Chassis: NZXT Switch 810. - MB: Rampage v Extreme x99. - CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k. - Memory: 16GB Ripsaw 4 DDR4 2400MHz. - GPU: 2x Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 OC Edition 4GB.
    PSU: Corsair AX1200i. - Storage: 1x Samsung 830 60GB SSD + 1x Samsung evo 840 120GB SSD + 1x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD + 1x Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I will check if they share the same ground, I also know if this problem with Coolermaster cases as I have cut the ground traces between USB/Audio to eliminate noise.

I have a Fluke Multimeter and a Rigol DS2302 DSO which I'm not afraid to use

Interested to hear the results
    G Skill Trident Z RGB 3600 32GB, EVGA supernova 1300G2, CaseLabs Merlin SM8, Wooting One/Ducky One TKL RGB, Razer Basilisk, EK Velocity RGB w/ Alphacool Monsta & HL Nemesis GTX360, Samsung 960 pro 512gb(OS), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb(games), Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Asus PG279Q 165HZ, BenQ 144hz, Windows 10 pro

ROG Enthusiast Array

Finally got around to looking in to this.

I have come up with a FIX for this, it's easy but requires a soldering iron or a pair of tweezers.

Remove the ROG front base from the Computer, look at the rear of the unit where the AAFP plugs in, locate the screw in that area, you will see a black 0 ohm resistor/jumper there. Remove the resistor/jumper.

This 0 ohm link connects Audio ground to chassis, we don't want this as it will pick up noise. Removing this link will make it function as it should.

ASUS please do not put this link in during the construction, for some reason you put this link in as an option during manufacture to enable or disable audio to chassis ground, please just don't put the link there or put a physical jumper.

Did Asus confirm if it is okay to remove this resistor? Im just alittle paranoid I dont wanna screw anything up I mean I know how to solder
    I just dont know the true function of said resistor.
    Dale have you done this on your own front base? And it removed all the noise interference when gaming?

I previously stated that moving my mouse around didnt increase the noise but in fact it does I get a loud screeching like interference.
    Also JJ said it could be the routing of the audio cable too close to some power cables but I have a caselabs with plenty of room and I rerouted the cable, it made NO diffference whatsoever.

edit: Dale can you open this pic in a new window & confirm if this is the correct resistor btween the red arrows?, It looks like it has a white zero on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rog front-base resistor remove.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	592.7 KB 
ID:	50978

I have a Blackjack Solderwerks BK4050 hot air station should be able to pop that thing off in a matter of seconds
    Last edited by sdmf74; 08-09-2015 at 05:26 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi Sdmf74,

Hot air will be perfect to take it off, I couldn't be bothered using my re-work station so did it with an expensive Weller pencil, but I do a lot of work with SMD, it will fly off with some tweezers and hot air, you will have no trouble doing it

I haven't spoken to Asus about this, I did in the past regarding this noise but they were useless!, You could easily stick it back on if you ever needed to.

Yes you have highlighted the correct one in your diagram. I removed mine earlier today, I had it on the Scope and Multimeter and found that link so removed it. It has made a BIG difference, there are also 2 de-coupling capacitors that are on there I may remove and see if that helps but I have left them there for now.

Whip that 0 ohm off and you will be pleased

Quote Originally Posted by sdmf74 View Post
    Did Asus confirm if it is okay to remove this resistor? Im just alittle paranoid I dont wanna screw anything up I mean I know how to solder
    I just dont know the true function of said resistor.
    Dale have you done this on your own front base? And it removed all the noise interference when gaming?

I previously stated that moving my mouse around didnt increase the noise but in fact it does I get a loud screeching like interference.
    Also JJ said it could be the routing of the audio cable too close to some power cables but I have a caselabs with plenty of room and I rerouted the cable, it made NO diffference whatsoever.

edit: Dale can you open this pic in a new window & confirm if this is the correct resistor btween the red arrows?, It looks like it has a white zero on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rog front-base resistor remove.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	592.7 KB 
ID:	50978

I have a Blackjack Solderwerks BK4050 hot air station should be able to pop that thing off in a matter of seconds

Ill give it a go and report back in a few days. Thanks for the heads up!
    So if Im understanding correctly it sounds as if it got rid of most of the interference but are you still hearing some feedback
    while gaming or did it get rid of the noise completely?

The new Z170 motherboards are out already I wonder if Asus finally got rid of ground issues on them, My formula 7 has
    a serious issue where my speakers emit a loud pop when rebooting, its so bad I cant even keep my speakers turned up past 2
    or its unbearable to restart my pc. Many others have reported this issue as well. You would think any product that is on its
    8th revision (MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA) would have addressed & resolved such issues. Especially when they are marketing the product
    for its "unrivaled" sound quality.

Thanks again Dale!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast