Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

no need to use one on the res. you have to use some force to connect it. so use a fitting there and take it off when not in use.
    use a syringe or somting similar to fill the res whit. you can even fill it from the plug on the res. and just plug it when you start the pump.
    and repeat.

to drain you need both ends open. pluging one end and drain other end is like sucking on a straw whit one end open and the other end closed.

ROG Enthusiast Array

doh!

i understand now - sheesh, i thought i'd come up with a nifty method...but instead missed something so elementary

damn you, physics! lol

thanks for your patience, kkn

ROG Enthusiast Array

alright, sorry for the qdc debacle, kkn...

i've got it sorted out now

now i'm ready to tackle the issue of fans, flow sensors, etc...

here's where i'm at in my thinking:

the r5e motherboard has a total of eight 4-pin pwm/dc headers (confirmed that they're all pwm-capable: http://www.overclock.net/t/1510328/a...#post_22870734) consisting of 1 cpu fan, 1 cpu_opt fan, and 6 cha fan-- as well, the oc panel has an additional 4 fan headers (though haven't been able to confirm if they're also pwm-capable and type, i.e. cpu, opt, or cha)

so that's a total of 12 possible...which is also just one fan shy of my total 13 fans (six 120mm pwm push/pull on top rad, six pwm push/pull on front rad, and rear exhaust (intake) 140mm)

i also would have a 4-pin pwm plug coming from the d5 pump, a 3-pin rpm plug from the flow sensor (says it should be plugged into the cpu fan header), two 2-pin temp sensor plugs from the phobya inline couplers (though these could probably plug into two of the three extra 2-pin headers on the mobo - there are seven total 2-pin temp sensor headers: cpu, mb, pch, and vrm and three spare, as seen below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	staycool-fan-1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	41411

here's what i'd like to resolve:

1. assuming the oc panel's four extra 4-pin headers are pwm-capable and not duplicates of the cpu fan / opt, for example...i could have all 12 pwm fans for the rads plugged in and controlled by the motherboard

2. that would leave me short one fan header (3 or 4-pin dc) for the rear 140mm fan, one pwm header for the d5 pump, and possibly create a snafu with the 3-pin rpm plug from the flow sensor

3. once 1 & 2 above are resolved, i need to consider controlling them through software / bios configurations...or i could attempt to install an ASUS ROG Front Base Dual-Bay Gaming Panel to monitor/adjust manually: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813995030

4. ultimately, i'm fine with having all the pwm fans (6) on a single rad under a single controller, for example: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/20...?tl=c17s240b33

5. the swiftech 8-way pwm splitter could handle the six pwm fans on a single rad, but i'd need a second for the other six pwm fans on the second rad...and it appears the swiftech splitter demands the cpu fan head (unless i'm missing something) - so where could the second splitter plug into?

6. then there's the aquacomputer aquero 6 xt...which appears as if it could solve almost all of the above issues in one fell swoop: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13...pc=36093#blank

7. i do like the aquero very much (even though the black faceplate is out of stock and would mess with the aesthetics...boohoo), but i'm wondering if it might be better to switch to the aquabus d5 pump, as it might integrate better with the aquero (though it's not pwm and i need to check if it would fit into my res/pump mounting): http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17...pc=36102#blank

8. but here's the really big problem...the corsair 780t has only two 5.25" drive bays, which are blocked by the top 360mm rad and push fans -- this means if i want the rog front base, r5e oc panel (mounted), and/or aquero 6 xt...i need to drop the size of that top rad to 280mm, which drops my total rad count to 640mm instead of the 720mm kkn recommends (and i agree)

9. i think i will go with the noiseblocker e-loop pwm fans (i just wish they weren't blazing white in the midst of my carefully selected black/red rog theme)...but i've read that the back of the fan is so close to the outer frame that mounting it to a rad tightly will actually stop the fan blades from turning, and that other users have needed to place a gasket, etc, to give it more space to turn -- what's your experience with this, kkn?

10. finally, 10...just because i'm getting very, very close to being finished...

your help has been invaluable, kkn -- if i can bring this all together, expect a gift from me =)

oc panel will not controll the fans ( from what i know ).

6+7, they will work and they are controlled by software, you can controll up to max 1amp of fans on the pump, and 1amp on each of the fan headers on the controller ( from what i can recall ).
    as you can see here, you "can" get a few readings of diffrent things as long as its setup and diffrent parts are connected .

https://www.google.no/search?q=aquas...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

i only have the pump and a inline temp meter and the controller it self so i dont have that mutch info on mine and im stil using the 2012 software.

9, i had some sucking once and they sucked the fan blades toward the rad, so i only have push now since feel more confy about that.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi theMoP

Nice build you are making

I have also ordered the corsair graphite 780T case and i am also going to watercool my CPU and GPU. I have bought a 360 mm rad for the top and 240 for the bottom. THey are both going to be push/pull. i should receive everything beside the GPU (Cannot decide if i want to but gtx 980 ) in this week and i may have time to mount almost everything at the end of the week. If you like i can check for the space on the roof, because i am going to add the asus front base into it which uses both 5.25 bays, and report back to you ?

ROG Enthusiast Array

hi gghoost,

thanks, this would be *extremely* helpful...as there's so little information out there thus far on the 780t

i would really, really appreciate it =)

there was another person using the 780t case and same mobo as me (very similar setup, too) and i could already see a bit of the problem...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...untry=&status=

seen here (but i don't know the thickness of the top rad or whether he's got push/pull or just the one set of fans) you can already see some blockage of the upper bay (and he mentions that it actually sticks in "literally" halfway into the bay...boooo!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	293hvl3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	41443

i'll wait to see what you come up with...and if possible, could you snap a pic of your 240mm rad positioned at the top of the case with the ports aligned toward the rear? that would really help, as it might be an option to put a 240mm up there and just add a small 120mm rad at the bottom in my case

thanks a lot...and good luck to you! =)

ROG Enthusiast Array

yes of course.... The tracking shows i should receive the case today and the rads friday so saturday i will begin building

looks like mister solid tube guy's case.

ROG Enthusiast Array

quick question, kkn...

if you look at that last image i attached, do you think it's possible (or even advisable) to run a line of tubing from the top-left rad port *behind* the mobo tray (through that grommet nearby), and have it come back into the interior through the grommet under the res (or even through an empty ssd sleeve by the bottom-front, or the cut-out by the psu) to connect to the pump?

would it wreak havoc on the cabling back there? sharp edges, etc? i'm just wondering if you've tried it...

thanks!

would kink the tube. becouse of the angle it have to be bent, and the amount of cables back there too that will pinch it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast