cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long until ROG style 980 card? I might have to switch to another brand...

PhillyAnt
Level 7
Hey folks!

I recently purchased the ROG 780 Ti GTX Platinum and love the card. With the new 980 cards being released, I really want to have that newer tech in my system. Luckily I have 11 days left in my return period and my local Micro Center has the new card in stock. I really really really want a ROG version of this card though, especially to match the theme I have in my box. Do we have any idea when this might be released?

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

kkn
Level 14
stock made first and then custom made ones after that i think.
so not easy to tell realy.
you could try and google it and see what info you find.

Nate152
I saw the strix gtx 970 listed on amazon, I haven't seen the strix 980 yet.

sde444
Level 10
guys how long to strix 980 release? i am interested. There are only strx 970 available.

PhillyAnt
Level 7
yeah I have been researching the heck out of it but no luck. I might just go with an EVGA today and hope that I can sell it for not too much of a loss when the Matrix comes out.

oG_kill3r
Level 7
I just picked up the ROG 780 ti Matrix card as well 3 weeks ago , not worth the jump to the 980 IMO , im waiting for more powerful maxell card 😄

oG kill3r wrote:
I just picked up the ROG 780 ti Matrix card as well 3 weeks ago , not worth the jump to the 980 IMO , im waiting for more powerful maxell card 😄

I was having that argument with myself, but being that the 780 ti Matrix is still within the 30 day return period and the new 980 card is improved over it, wouldn't it be smarter to return the Matrix and save some money on the 980 while having a better chance of higher resale when the ROG version is released?

PhillyAnt wrote:
I was having that argument with myself, but being that the 780 ti Matrix is still within the 30 day return period and the new 980 card is improved over it, wouldn't it be smarter to return the Matrix and save some money on the 980 while having a better chance of higher resale when the ROG version is released?

I gave you my opinion here and over on the other forum . If you like the red and black theme i would keep the matrix (mine is red and black too) the green will stand out hard ! The performance difference is barely any if at all (less power use) . I'm keeping my matrix and if i decide to upgrade it wont be till the more powerful maxwell cards come out later on .

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
PhillyAnt wrote:
Hey folks!

I recently purchased the ROG 780 Ti GTX Platinum and love the card. With the new 980 cards being released, I really want to have that newer tech in my system. Luckily I have 11 days left in my return period and my local Micro Center has the new card in stock. I really really really want a ROG version of this card though, especially to match the theme I have in my box. Do we have any idea when this might be released?

Thanks!

Stock cards are hardly available at the moment, at least in Switzerland there are no GTX900 graphics cards in stock. The ROG Strix GTX980 and Strix GTX970 are already announced, but who knows when they will be in stock.
It will take some time before we see some more ROG cards or maybe Asus follows the path MSI goes and spare custom card models for the big Maxwell aka GM200, time will tell.
But yes, if I had bought a GTX780 some days ago and would be able to bring it back I would do so and get myself a newer card as well 😉
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |
Laptop: Samsung 940X3G | i7-4500U | 8Gb RAM | 256Gb SSD | 13.3" 3200x1800 |

X-ROG
Level 15
Possibly end of this year for an ROG card. Lots of R&D work to be done yet sorry.

It's not like your Ti is suddenly slow 😛 there's only a few % difference.