cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750jz Pre-sales Discussion

Pythonmsh
Level 7
I'm doing some research on gaming laptops and the asus rog series seems to be the way to go. I'm currently a semi hardcore desktop user but I carry it around a lot and it's getting quite old. I'm looking for an upgrade along with upgrading mobility. The main thing is I want to maintain very good reliability. Am I going to have to worry about reliability with this laptop? Also I'm looking at using my current monitor on it while the laptop screen becomes a secondary, is that possible?
6 REPLIES 6

Darnassus
Status Under Review
They're good lappies, though some are lemons in terms of manufacturing process.

Totally possible to use laptop screen and external monitor at the same time. Double Screen, Mirror, etc all functional.

Darnassus wrote:
They're good lappies, though some are lemons in terms of manufacturing process.

Totally possible to use laptop screen and external monitor at the same time. Double Screen, Mirror, etc all functional.

Right. I'd prefer to avoid returning things over and over. It sounds kind of sketchy to own a gaming laptop.

Pythonmsh wrote:
Right. I'd prefer to avoid returning things over and over. It sounds kind of sketchy to own a gaming laptop.

Yeah the JZ can be tricky, as some ppl are feeling right at home wit it, but others feel like a waste of money, its a matter of preference, most issues ppl reported are from Optimus, i have a JH and it doesnt have it, which is a plus for me, i never ran an external monitor, so cant comment on that, but i can imagine that it will work fine 🙂

FalconFX wrote:
Yeah the JZ can be tricky, as some ppl are feeling right at home wit it, but others feel like a waste of money, its a matter of preference, most issues ppl reported are from Optimus, i have a JH and it doesnt have it, which is a plus for me, i never ran an external monitor, so cant comment on that, but i can imagine that it will work fine 🙂

I'm not worried about the specs. Mainly just reliability. If it's reliable and I can use it like a desktop I'm happy. Plug in mouse / keyboard and run a dual monitor setup

Pythonmsh wrote:
I'm not worried about the specs. Mainly just reliability. If it's reliable and I can use it like a desktop I'm happy. Plug in mouse / keyboard and run a dual monitor setup

Pythonmsh, most people get a good one the first time. Most reports here are from people that sought out help - they have a problem and need to get it fixed, but most users never even find this forum because everything works right the first time.

Looking at the forum it looks like a deluge of problems, but in reality it isn't common.

I had to RMA a G2s years ago, but since then all my Asus laptops were perfect out of the box. W90vp, G750JW, G750JX, and now my G750JH since last November. All without problems 🙂

I suggest buying from a reputable local shop, so you can get local help/return should anything go wrong. Returning mail order is a hassle, especially laptops.

There is one thing that seems wrong when you first get a G750. The fans don't seem to run much, with the left one doing all the work, and the right one is always off. That is because the left fan is the CPU fan, so it heats up more often than the GPU - the right fan - but once you get into a heavy game the right fan will kick in. There is nothing wrong with a nice quiet laptop 🙂

The Optimus situation is something else, and it is new with this generation of G750's. They run about 10c hotter for CPU temps, which is mostly ok, but if you monitor the temps and see them hanging in the 90c range, swap it for another one. The JM/JS have more issues with CPU temp's than the JZ, something to keep in mind.

The RAID0 model of the JZ is the one to get if you can afford it. The RAID0 2x256GB is sweet.

The reliability has been good, and should continue to be good, all things considered the G750 is still the best, quietest, and coolest running gaming laptop out there.

Please come back and tell us what you end up getting 🙂

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Asus NBs are very reliable!
I have the JZ, and I done some stress testing.
I ran FurMark Stress test for 30 minutes (three different times for a total of 90 minutes) without a problem, temps didn't rise above 86c
Then I ran the IntelBurnStress test for one hour on maximum load with very good results.
The temps started just up high at first, but settled down after a few minutes, and on average settled around 86c.

PS: This is my forth "G Series", and never had to RMA any of them.
The number of people that come here with problems are small compared to other manufactures.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"