cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1603 BIOS wont post with RAM above 2200!!

zeraoo98
Level 9
Hi.

Today i have updated to the 1603 BIOS, using the "BIOS updater", and have have had a problem with applying my settings from the previous 1505 BIOS. After some troubleshooting I have come to conclusion that it have some problem with ram above 2200 mhz. My RAM is 4 x 8 gig Kingstom HyperX Beast 2400 mhz kit Here are the steps i did to get this bug.

1. Installed 1603 bios, every setting is at default, enter setup.
2. Applied the No. 1 XMP profile (2400), reboot.
3. MB wont post, the error code on the MB display is 55 (no memoty detected)

4. Rebooting PC. Message during post will stay "Overclocking failed press F1 to enter setup"
5. Applied the No. 1 XMP profile (2400)
6. Changed the ram clock 2400 -> 2200, reboot.
7. Everything works fine.

8. Going into setup again.
9. Changed the ram clock 2200 -> 2400, reboot.
10. MB wont post, the error code on the MB display is 55 (no memory detected)

So you see, that changing the speed to something above 2200, is bot working so well... I have even tried to chande DRAM voltage from 1.6 to 1.7 but that makes no difference.

The XMP (2400) and A LOT of other OC/tweak settings work perfectly fine together on 1505 as my daily driver.

And yeah... Why does not Asus include any change log with a bios update. i mean "Improve system stability" is totally opposite from my expirience with this 1603 BIOS.

Someone else who got a 2400 RAM? Whats your results?
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hello zeraoo98

You don't list the rest of your system specs but I assume you are on a maximus board with that bios version. 32GB of 2400MHz ram is asking a lot from the imc of your cpu. You can try raising the system agent voltage/vcssa to 1.1v up to 1.25v to see if you can get it to post.

Is that a single 32GB kit or two 16GB kits combined?

NemesisChild
Level 12
I would suggest running memtest on each stick individualy.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

clubfoot
Level 7
2400MHz G.Skill runs on my HERO with 1603. Have you also tried manually selecting 2400 instead of XMP and bumping the voltage as suggested?
The Asus Maximus VI Hero Club

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO, i4770K@4.5, Corsair H100i, 16G G.Skill Trident X @2400, MSI7950 xFire, C: Samsung EVO 250G SSD RAID0, BenQ XL2420Z, LG BD burner, Corsair RM1000i, Antec DF-85.

zeraoo98
Level 9
I have a Maximus 6 Extreme MOBO, and it's a single kit of 4x8 GB RAM. Raising the voltage didn't help, as deactivating XMP, and dialing in clock manually. Some more ideas? It's srange that it works flawlessly on previous BIOS, without any tweaking 😕

rolldog
Level 9
I've been having problems getting my new build to post. It was working fine a couple of days ago when I finished it (I've been working on this build for about a month and a half), but after reading this post, I remember that was the last thing I did was upgraded my BIOS to 1603, I'm running G.SKILL memory as well and used XMP profile #2. Now I get nothing on the screens, and my system starts booting, gets as far as q code 63, then shuts itself down and restarts by itself. I'm using 2333 with my memory.

rvcjew
Level 7
What timings is it setting for you guys?41623

clubfoot
Level 7
Make sure ram is in red slots. If that doesn't work boot work boot with one stick. F5, save, reboot and then shut down. Install second stick in the available red slot and restart. Does it boot?
The Asus Maximus VI Hero Club

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO, i4770K@4.5, Corsair H100i, 16G G.Skill Trident X @2400, MSI7950 xFire, C: Samsung EVO 250G SSD RAID0, BenQ XL2420Z, LG BD burner, Corsair RM1000i, Antec DF-85.

CSN7
Level 7
Dude I had the exact same thing, what helped me was to clear CMOS at the back of the board. And then flash the new 1603 again. Flashing was fast why I though it did nothing... but it acutally solved all my problems. I could dial in all my bios changes and could run my OC flawless. So always clear CMOS before you flash a new bios with these boards or at least it didnt take the new bios the first time.. give it a try.
Cheers

Bash4Sure wrote:
Dude I had the exact same thing, what helped me was to clear CMOS at the back of the board. And then flash the new 1603 again. Flashing was fast why I though it did nothing... but it acutally solved all my problems. I could dial in all my bios changes and could run my OC flawless. So always clear CMOS before you flash a new bios with these boards or at least it didnt take the new bios the first time.. give it a try.
Cheers

Will sure try, and give you an update whenever it worked or not.