cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this clicking sound?

Bla123Bla123
Level 7
I have an ASUS G550JK that I've owned for about 2 months now. It makes some clicking noises sometimes and I want to know what it is. From what I have looked up and from talking with ASUS support it appears to be from the hard drive. ASUS support wants me to take it in to Best Buy or somewhere to have them check out the hard drive, but I do not have the time right now. It is a clicking that comes and goes, when it comes it is more of a click followed by another every few seconds at a relatively steady pace and then just stops. Everytime a click occurs, my load cycle count increases by 1. From some of the symptoms I am experiencing, it appears that the drive heads stopping because of APM or something similar is also another possibility. Does anybody have experience enough to know if it could be APM or if I should be worried about possible hard drive failure? Also, is there a way to check if it is indeed APM? I have tried looking online but can't seem to find a way to disable, or at least make it less aggressive, to see if it may indeed be the cause of the sound?
9 REPLIES 9

toronto699
Level 13
google GSmartControl to check your hard drive but to me hard drive sounds normal GSmartControl is easy to use

NemesisChild
Level 12
HDD clicking is not normal, you need to find the time to have it inspected.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Bla123Bla123
Level 7
I may go get it checked out next weekend when I have some time, and will run the GSmartControl test and post the results. I am trying to find out if my hard drive has this occur due to APM reasons, but am unable to find anything specific to my hard drive. My hard drive is a HGST HTS721075A9E630. Any help on figuring out if APM could be the cause would be great!

I would love to be able to actually determine if APM could be the issue or not since I need my laptop for school and would rather not have any time without it if possible.

toronto699
Level 13
if any 1 test in GSmartControl fails , replace the hard drive , GSmart does many tests on HD

Bla123Bla123
Level 7
I completed both test types and both of them completed without error.

Bla123Bla123
Level 7
I am pretty sure that it is definitely APM now. I got a program called hdparm which adjusts APM settings (although it mut be redone everytime a computer goes to sleep or is shut down), what my results have been are my load/unload cycle going up by only 1 for everytime I restarted my computer and no clicking sounds what so ever. I have forgotten to redo it a few times after my PC has gone to sleep today and what has happened is that my load/unload cycle count has jumped up a bit. No clicking sounds yet, but it does appear to just be APM that was making those sounds. I plan on keeping an eye on it and going to check it checked out right away if the clicking returns. I was planning on maybe getting it checked out this weekend just to be safe, but I don't think I will have the time. Maybe next weekend if nothing pops up.

UltraNEO_
Level 11
From first hand experience...

IF my any of HDD started 'clicking', the first and foremost thing I'd do is backup any valuable data. Usually when those things start clicking, it's a physical malfunction and death follows shortly.. Click of death as they say. Only long term fix is a warranty replacement.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

Super old thread, but here is the end result of my issue: I ignored it. It eventually went away on its own and I just recently (a few weeks ago) changed the HDD to a SSD, but that was because I was getting annoyed with speed issues, not because I experienced any issues with the HDD.

Also, I didn't have any valuable data on here... I don't store valuable data on computer storage drives. Everything that is valuable enough that I want to not lose is backed up to cloud always. 99% of what I have stored on here is unimportant (mostly games and engineering programs) with all the important stuff (files for engineering programs) backed up. Because of this, I didn't care enough to be proactive about trying to fix it 😛

Bla123Bla123
Level 7
Super old thread, but here is the end result of my issue: I ignored it. It eventually went away on its own and I just recently (a few weeks ago) changed the HDD to a SSD, but that was because I was getting annoyed with speed issues, not because I experienced any issues with the HDD.

Also, I didn't have any valuable data on here... I don't store valuable data on computer storage drives. Everything that is valuable enough that I want to not lose is backed up to cloud always. 99% of what I have stored on here is unimportant (mostly games and engineering programs) with all the important stuff (files for engineering programs) backed up.