cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idle temps after gaming

Dlee13
Level 7
I just bought a Asus GTX 750 Ti OC a few days ago and I'm very happy with it so far. When I first turn on my PC and until I start doing any gaming, my temps are usually between 27 - 33C.

During Heaven Benchmark under 100% load they're at 65-67C

Playing games such as South Park SOT or Murdered Soul Suspect the temp usually stays around 45C.

After I finish playing the GPU temp will go down to around 36-38 but not any lower within a 30 minute period. Is this a safe post gaming idle temp, or would I need to wait longer to see it go down again?
13 REPLIES 13

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Dlee13 🙂

I presume you have your setup in a case?

In that case the card is going to warm up and warm the things around it up too; so in general the atmosphere in the case is going to be a lot warmer after gaming or running stress tests. You would simply have to wait until the PC got back down to a temp more resembling the "cold" state it is in when you first switch it on...though it would probably never get down that low without being switched off....

It certainly sounds normal to me

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi Dlee13 🙂

I presume you have your setup in a case?

In that case the card is going to warm up and warm the things around it up too; so in general the atmosphere in the case is going to be a lot warmer after gaming or running stress tests. You would simply have to wait until the PC got back down to a temp more resembling the "cold" state it is in when you first switch it on...though it would probably never get down that low without being switched off....

It certainly sounds normal to me

Hey Arne 🙂 thanks for the reply!

Yes it's in a case. I have one 120mm front fan and a 80mm side fan as intakes an a 120mm rear case fan as the exhaust. After posing earlier, I had the PC off for a few hours since I wasn't using it and turned it back on to play some more games without doing any benchmarks. Even though I was using my overclocked profile, the temp was around 42C (the GPU didn't seem to reach full load) and after I stopped playing, it dropped down to around 32C within 10 mins. I think it's the benchmarking that gets it so hot it takes longer to cool down.

From what I read I understand my temps are normal but I just thought I should make sure.
Thanks for the help 😄

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah the benchmarks throw out a whole load of heat...even with reasonable air-flow you will end up heating the case and components..

So yeah....all sounds normal to me 🙂

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yeah the benchmarks throw out a whole load of heat...even with reasonable air-flow you will end up heating the case and components..

So yeah....all sounds normal to me 🙂

Thanks for letting me know 🙂

One last thing sorry! Would it damage the GPU by switching between between profiles I've made? Currently I use profile 1 which is the default profile for my general use and when I start gaming, I switch to profile 2 which is my overclocked settings.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
No no damage..that's what these OC programs are made for....I do the same with PrecisionX...stock for day to day and a stable OC profile if I need a bit more grunt gaming etc.

Just remember to maybe set a custom fan profile to keep temps in check if needed...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
No no damage..that's what these OC programs are made for....I do the same with PrecisionX...stock for day to day and a stable OC profile if I need a bit more grunt gaming etc.

Just remember to maybe set a custom fan profile to keep temps in check if needed...

That's good to hear. I'll keep doing it that way. I'm very new to overclocking and all these programs hence the questions lol.

Sorry but what do you mean by custom fan profile? In GPU Tweak I got the fan speed set to auto and GPU temp target to 70C, is that what you mean?

Dlee13
Level 7
I had a look through GPU Tweak and figured out what you meant, does this look right?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes exactly! Just find a profile that you can live with in terms of noise and that keeps your temps more or less where you want them...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yes exactly! Just find a profile that you can live with in terms of noise and that keeps your temps more or less where you want them...

As soon as I posted I just googled it and looked through the settings and figured it out quickly. So far the temps have been fine on auto, played South Park for 4 hours straight and the temps didn't even reach 50 so I might be fine with the fan set to auto.

Thanks for all the help 😄