cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Activate Windows 8 after Reformat

haha541
Level 7
After i reformatted my Windows 8, i am unable to activate my Windows for wierd reasons . They gave an error about KMS . Any idea how to solve this? This is quite annoying as it force my to activate windows by going into PC Settings to prompt me to activate windows but i could'nt . In PC Settings when i click Activate, it just load for a while and nothing happens. But when i try to Activate windows from My Computer -> Properties . They gave an error about KMS.
12 REPLIES 12

hmscott
Level 12
haha541 wrote:
After i reformatted my Windows 8, i am unable to activate my Windows for wierd reasons . They gave an error about KMS . Any idea how to solve this? This is quite annoying as it force my to activate windows by going into PC Settings to prompt me to activate windows but i could'nt . In PC Settings when i click Activate, it just load for a while and nothing happens. But when i try to Activate windows from My Computer -> Properties . They gave an error about KMS.

haha541, are you trying to use an enterprise/school license?

Try this, and reboot after installing the patch before trying again:

Update adds support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 KMS hosts
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2757817

hmscott wrote:
haha541, are you trying to use an enterprise/school license?

Try this, and reboot after installing the patch before trying again:

Update adds support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 KMS hosts
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2757817

Hi, i tried to install the patch and reboot after installing. it still doe not work.

haha541 wrote:
Hi, i tried to install the patch and reboot after installing. it still doe not work.

haha541, what is the error code you are seeing, besides the word KMS in the error dialog?

Look through this google search, and add your error code to focus on your specific problem.
https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+8.1+activation+KMS+error&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0CBwQBSgA&bav=on.2...

If this is an enterprise or school key, then look to their support staff to help you install.

Please come back and let us know what the error code is, and how you fixed it.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Did you make sure you backed up your Windows Product Key BEFORE you formatted?

You can post your key here or to me in PM and I can tell you what CD you need to install or if you accidentally backed up your Windows Serial.

Also as an alternative, you can post it in this: http://d-fault.nl/PidCheck.aspx and paste the data you get back.

Serial Keys and Product Keys look very similar but do largely different things.

P.S. your product key is tied to your motherboard, so it's completely safe.. however if you don't wish to post it, that's fine.

Darnassus wrote:
Did you make sure you backed up your Windows Product Key BEFORE you formatted?

You can post your key here or to me in PM and I can tell you what CD you need to install or if you accidentally backed up your Windows Serial.

Also as an alternative, you can post it in this: http://d-fault.nl/PidCheck.aspx and paste the data you get back.

Serial Keys and Product Keys look very similar but do largely different things.

P.S. your product key is tied to your motherboard, so it's completely safe.. however if you don't wish to post it, that's fine.

Hi, This is the output i had.

Product Key : BN3D2-R7TKB-3YPBD-8DRP2-27GG4
Validity : Valid
Product ID : 00190-70000-00001-AA470
Activation ID : c04ed6bf-55c8-4b47-9f8e-5a1f31ceee60
Edition Type : Core
Description : Win 8 RTM Core Volume:GVLK
Edition ID : X18-21491
Key Type : Volume:GVLK
Crypto ID : 1907

pokerface
Level 9
You installed the Volume License of Windows 8 that's why. You need to install the proper edition that came with your laptop buddy
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7-4900MQ CPU @ 3.8 GHz (8MB Cache)
Graphics: Dual GeForce GTX 780M SLI 2x4 GB GDDR5 RAM
Sound: Realtek ALC668 HD Audio with Klipsch Speakers
Memory: 32 GB Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 RAM
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD + Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB mSATA SSD
Screen: Samsung LTM184HL01 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display PLS 16:9 1080p [SDC4C48]

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Which would be Core. Just the CD, too. No language packs.

haha541
Level 7
Hi, how would i do that? i believe my laptop is OEM thus no CD

gazzacbr
Level 10
Hi, it has to be Core version and SL (single language) to automatically pick up the oem key from your bios.
also you need the same version as installed originally 8 or 8.1.
this has all been covered before. check earlier threads on this forum (hint, search for rweverything)
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16