cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The G750 Charger issue

Ruin4211
Level 7
My g750 is great, runs what I need it too and well too. There's one small problem however. The charger. 140$ for a replacement which is apparently needed every 6 months. My second died today and after I order a replacement it will be 280$ I have spent aftermarket on a 1300$ laptop. Not an upgrade, but just to make it work. I'm not happy and Asus hasn't done anything for me, didn't send me a new one the first time it broke and will most likely not send me one this time. So what's the worst part you may ask? They know about the issue in their product and have done nothing to fix it in response to the thousands of complaints about the same issue. After this laptop has met it's end I'll never buy another ROG laptop again because Razer does not have this problem and will send free parts if their product breaks, instead of charging 140$ every 6 months. If your debating buying this laptop... Don't. Although it may run well, it doesn't last your going to end up spending way to much to keep it running.
10 REPLIES 10

hmscott
Level 12
Ruin4211 wrote:
My g750 is great, runs what I need it too and well too. There's one small problem however. The charger. 140$ for a replacement which is apparently needed every 6 months. My second died today and after I order a replacement it will be 280$ I have spent aftermarket on a 1300$ laptop. Not an upgrade, but just to make it work. I'm not happy and Asus hasn't done anything for me, didn't send me a new one the first time it broke and will most likely not send me one this time. So what's the worst part you may ask? They know about the issue in their product and have done nothing to fix it in response to the thousands of complaints about the same issue. After this laptop has met it's end I'll never buy another ROG laptop again because Razer does not have this problem and will send free parts if their product breaks, instead of charging 140$ every 6 months. If your debating buying this laptop... Don't. Although it may run well, it doesn't last your going to end up spending way to much to keep it running.

Ruin4211, which G750 model do you have?

The JW/JX/JM/JS all use the $99 US 180W power adapter, available from the Asus estore - if you buy it elsewhere you might pay more. My JW/JX both had working power adapters the whole time I had them, no problems.

The JH/JZ use a $89 230w power adapter, also available from the Asus estore - I bought a 2nd one to have at work for my G750JH - neither of my 2 230w power adapters have failed. And I run them both all day, always plugged in.

Where do you live, approximately? Sometimes bad AC power will play havoc with Power Adapters, I have lived in such locations and use a Surge Protector and even an Isolation transformer to smooth out the power.

Asus should have RMA'd failed Power Adapters within warranty period. They might have wanted you to send in the laptop - as quite often the problem isn't only with the Power Adapter, it is also potentially a problem with the battery and/or the charging circuit in the laptop. It's a pain to send it all in, but Asus needs it to debug the problem - other wise you might have a repeating failure - like you are seeing.

What is the story on the RMA?

let me make this clear real quick, asus is fouling ALOT of people with this JW model "1300" me included. and im appauled about that jw jx owners lounge BS.
if 1300 bucks isnt enough to be PART OF UR CLUBB. then screw it. thats ALOT of money.

gk106 snail-pu (gtx 660=765m) mix and matched stock from various PREVIOUS YEAR MODELS and soldered i7.
its like 2 reeses and acouple 4 year old pepperments. THANKS I GUESS?

My FIRST ac adapter that came with it had this little nubby thing on the mating surfaces of the cord and the brick its self and the thing heated up so much the adhesive liquefied after a couple uses and it was all down hill from there. 1300 bucks and they cant even cover the power brick? I was aghast and stormed out of best buy (which also told me they didnt even have it online to sell).

MIND YOU, this thing came with a bad screen (not the splendid app, i mean bad hardware with Thousands of bad pixels i do mean thousands), thank god they were polite enough to cover that (full hd 1080p screen)

7 months into ownership games started to stuter and gpuz said thermal was culprit, and i had to fight tooth and nail with best buy AND asus support to take care of THAT. i thought it was just a bad fan but it was the board and assembly altogether. THEY COVERED THAT (g750 jw 2 gb graphics card!)

but for the life of me i cant fathom how they cant afford to send me another charger which they ship with every laptop. its the most basic accessory and being a gaming notebook the specs and performance have to be in order.

im in need of my third charger now MY WARRANTY HAS SINCE PASSED AND THERE ARE STILL UNRESOLVED PROBLEMS. and if i dont get the asus proprietary power brick i fear i wont sort out some of the issues im having with specs voltage and overheating.

DO NOT BUY THE ITIKERO 180 WAT CHARGER ON AMAZON IT OVERHEATS HAZERDOUSLY, if you dont micro manage your windows power plans and heating,

AND ELECTROCUTION WHEN I PLUG INTO MY 1000 WATT RV INVERTER! THAT WAS WITH BOTH CHARGERS!, i hope to GOD this thing isnt grounded at the metal palm plate?

REPUBLIC OF GAMERS? REPUBLIC OF CLOWNS.

like really, HOLY ****.

Now that my warranty has expired and i can overclock, i REALLY have thinking to do about simply getting a new rig and passing it on as a project-like sale.

1300 dollar comedy routine and minimalistic support for a year. CLASSY.

RANT OVER..... >.>

l2apsux wrote:
let me make this clear real quick, asus is fouling ALOT of people with this JW model "1300" me included. and im appauled about that jw jx owners lounge BS.
if 1300 bucks isnt enough to be PART OF UR CLUBB. then screw it. thats ALOT of money.

gk106 snail-pu (gtx 660=765m) mix and matched stock from various PREVIOUS YEAR MODELS and soldered i7.
its like 2 reeses and acouple 4 year old pepperments. THANKS I GUESS?

My FIRST ac adapter that came with it had this little nubby thing on the mating surfaces of the cord and the brick its self and the thing heated up so much the adhesive liquefied after a couple uses and it was all down hill from there. 1300 bucks and they cant even cover the power brick? I was aghast and stormed out of best buy (which also told me they didnt even have it online to sell).

MIND YOU, this thing came with a bad screen (not the splendid app, i mean bad hardware with Thousands of bad pixels i do mean thousands), thank god they were polite enough to cover that (full hd 1080p screen)

7 months into ownership games started to stuter and gpuz said thermal was culprit, and i had to fight tooth and nail with best buy AND asus support to take care of THAT. i thought it was just a bad fan but it was the board and assembly altogether. THEY COVERED THAT (g750 jw 2 gb graphics card!)

but for the life of me i cant fathom how they cant afford to send me another charger which they ship with every laptop. its the most basic accessory and being a gaming notebook the specs and performance have to be in order.

im in need of my third charger now MY WARRANTY HAS SINCE PASSED AND THERE ARE STILL UNRESOLVED PROBLEMS. and if i dont get the asus proprietary power brick i fear i wont sort out some of the issues im having with specs voltage and overheating.

DO NOT BUY THE ITIKERO 180 WAT CHARGER ON AMAZON IT OVERHEATS HAZERDOUSLY, if you dont micro manage your windows power plans and heating,

AND ELECTROCUTION WHEN I PLUG INTO MY 1000 WATT RV INVERTER! THAT WAS WITH BOTH CHARGERS!, i hope to GOD this thing isnt grounded at the metal palm plate?

REPUBLIC OF GAMERS? REPUBLIC OF CLOWNS.

like really, HOLY ****.

Now that my warranty has expired and i can overclock, i REALLY have thinking to do about simply getting a new rig and passing it on as a project-like sale.

1300 dollar comedy routine and minimalistic support for a year. CLASSY.

RANT OVER..... >.>

l2apsux, thanks for including the Inverter power to AC adapter detail, that is likely what cooked your AC adapters - overheating them over long periods of time will cause material failure.

Here is an article discussing this problem.

Could a modified sine wave inverter destroy/damage the AC adapter for a laptop?
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/128365/could-a-modified-sine-wave-inverter-destroy-d...

Plugged in to AC none of the Asus supplied AC adapters would have gotten so hot, and would likely still be running.

My Asus Power Adapters stay warm during normal use and only get hot when I run long term batch jobs, stress tests and benchmarks, but nowhere near hot enough to melt the adhesive.

When the adhesive melted, that should have been an indicator to you that something was wrong, and find another solution to provide clean power to the AC adapters so they could perform well long term.

Getting the other AC Adapter and finding it too overheated is further confirmation that the power source is the problem.

Instead of DC to AC to DC, you could find a DC to DC matching voltage adapter - you still can - so you can get reliable operation.

There are DC Adapter/Car/Charger's that output 19.5v dc, you need to find one that will put out 180w.

Here are two I found that do 90w, but for HP/Dell - perhaps you can find one that will do 180w and you can mate the DC power connector from one of the dead Asus AC adapters to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Power-Supply%C2%AE-K60ij-rblx05-K601j-rblx05/dp/B00E82AND0/ref=sr_1_7?s=...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BK7JEC/?tag=stackoverfl08-20

Or, find a better DC to AC Inverter that puts out a clean Sine Wave that won't cook the AC Power Adapter's.

If you are stuck with that power source, then try this 180w Adapter, it costs 1/2 as much as the Asus and you can replace it cheaper when they fail:

Pwr+ Asus 180w Ac Adapter Laptop Charger for Asus ROG G-series
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-180w-Adapter-Laptop-Charger/dp/B00GCST6YA/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

And, you can get the Asus 180w cheaper directly from Asus, only $99 instead of the $159 on Amazon:

180 Watt AC Adapter SKU: 0A001-00260100
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5113

Please come back and let us know what you find that works 🙂

l2apsux
Level 7
hmscott wrote:
l2apsux, thanks for including the Inverter power to AC adapter detail, that is likely what cooked your AC adapters - overheating them over long periods of time will cause material failure.

Here is an article discussing this problem.

Could a modified sine wave inverter destroy/damage the AC adapter for a laptop?
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/128365/could-a-modified-sine-wave-inverter-destroy-d...

Plugged in to AC none of the Asus supplied AC adapters would have gotten so hot, and would likely still be running.

the 1000 watt inverter is only in my camper,and is grounded decently, but i dont have this thing plugged into that thing day in and day out, and it doesnt change the fact that the itikero charger i got is the same specs as the one in the link posted. also, my touchpad only started to misbehave after getting the non proprietary adapter (from what i remember) and id like to reiterate that when all these big problems started rearing their faces , it was the middle of winter, and i was using this indoors with a regular house outlet 24/7. i got it early july as a gift.

im a little confused as to what youre asking of me. the itikero matches the specs for the one you just posted, and this one seemed to have a better design, but alas again the heat was enough to cause the feet to come off, as the adhesive had liquefied AGAIN lol.

Also, i cant keep my battery in anymore, with this charger, if i launch a gamewith the battery in it rocks between charging and not charging which switches the power modes in windows which in turn throttles the cpu to .77. i can only game with my battey out and can not use my touchpad while the charger is plugged in.

I KNOW, i got a lemon but i went to best buy and tried to ask them to make an exception on the return, ( less than 3 weeks outside of 30 day return) they blew me off and tried to act like HUNDREDS of the g750jw BEST BUY models didnt have a reputation for being lemons.

Im really at a loss, and this horrible experience has left me asking how asus couldnt help me the entire time, and the tiny help i got from best buy was reluctant at best and always POOR workmanship. I really wish a asus representative would step in and take care of all this, but like i said, warranty passed and i got a lemon. they want nothing to do with me. its a pity that this is a 1300 dollar machine and its been a nightmare since i got it FOR MY BIRTHDAY...

to think i would have bore nothing but shame from my family if i tried to return it sooner. you cant return gifts thats a nono.

l2apsux wrote:
the 1000 watt inverter is only in my camper,and is grounded decently, but i dont have this thing plugged into that thing day in and day out, and it doesnt change the fact that the itikero charger i got is the same specs as the one in the link posted. also, my touchpad only started to misbehave after getting the non proprietary adapter (from what i remember) and id like to reiterate that when all these big problems started rearing their faces , it was the middle of winter, and i was using this indoors with a regular house outlet 24/7. i got it early july as a gift.

im a little confused as to what youre asking of me. the itikero matches the specs for the one you just posted, and this one seemed to have a better design, but alas again the heat was enough to cause the feet to come off, as the adhesive had liquefied AGAIN lol.

Also, i cant keep my battery in anymore, with this charger, if i launch a gamewith the battery in it rocks between charging and not charging which switches the power modes in windows which in turn throttles the cpu to .77. i can only game with my battey out and can not use my touchpad while the charger is plugged in.

I KNOW, i got a lemon but i went to best buy and tried to ask them to make an exception on the return, ( less than 3 weeks outside of 30 day return) they blew me off and tried to act like HUNDREDS of the g750jw BEST BUY models didnt have a reputation for being lemons.

Im really at a loss, and this horrible experience has left me asking how asus couldnt help me the entire time, and the tiny help i got from best buy was reluctant at best and always POOR workmanship. I really wish a asus representative would step in and take care of all this, but like i said, warranty passed and i got a lemon. they want nothing to do with me. its a pity that this is a 1300 dollar machine and its been a nightmare since i got it FOR MY BIRTHDAY...

to think i would have bore nothing but shame from my family if i tried to return it sooner. you cant return gifts thats a nono.

l2apsux, the power adapters aren't supposed to get that hot. Do you have them in an area they can disapate heat? Maybe put a fan on them. That kind of heat will kill the adapters quickly.

Even though the specs may be the same, the Itikero isn't up to spec if you can't charge the battery and run the laptop at full speed. It isn't putting out 180w. Try getting the Asus one directly from their estore, it's $99 there instead of $159 on Amazon. Others have reported the PWR+ works, charges and runs the laptop, so that is also worth a try.

Did you PM cl-albert to see if you can get Asus to resolve the original bad power adapter? If you have the original Asus case number use that in the email.

Follow up with cl-albert after getting the new power adapter if it still over heats, ask if you can send in your laptop and new power adapter to Asus repair to test to see if there is something wrong with your power supply, it shouldn't be drawing so much current that it cooks power adapters. My JW didn't do this.

Next time, return the birthday present for another one when it acts up, your family wants you to be happy 🙂

hmscott wrote:
l2apsux, the power adapters aren't supposed to get that hot. Do you have them in an area they can disapate heat? Maybe put a fan on them. That kind of heat will kill the adapters quickly.

Even though the specs may be the same, the Itikero isn't up to spec if you can't charge the battery and run the laptop at full speed. It isn't putting out 180w. Try getting the Asus one directly from their estore, it's $99 there instead of $159 on Amazon. Others have reported the PWR+ works, charges and runs the laptop, so that is also worth a try.

Did you PM cl-albert to see if you can get Asus to resolve the original bad power adapter? If you have the original Asus case number use that in the email.

Follow up with cl-albert after getting the new power adapter if it still over heats, ask if you can send in your laptop and new power adapter to Asus repair to test to see if there is something wrong with your power supply, it shouldn't be drawing so much current that it cooks power adapters. My JW didn't do this.

Next time, return the birthday present for another one when it acts up, your family wants you to be happy 🙂

Who is cl albert? has anyone ever gotten in contact with an asus higher up about their lemon unit? escalation seems complicated and tedious.

i dont have 100 bucks to drop on a charger at the minute and itikero has a 1 year warranty i will soon be taking advantage of.

i went to asus chat support some tim and they told me the first time they dont cover chargers whatsoever,

all i could get out of asus when i confronted chat TODAY was, "youre out of warranty, there are no known issues this these notebooks(yes he actually said that, as if these dont have a history of lemon-hood), and heres a discount coupo for the charger"

when i asked best buy they said that asus said they are not to cover the charger. then they glued it and glued the crack in my bezel. how RAUNCHY. glue. NOT a new part.

not only that but my first graphics card went inside this one was less than a year old, i didnt even overclock or ANYTHING.
also, it would appear that the CURRENT card has gone too,after two or three matches of battlefield 3 multiplayer my pc crashes now.
will update after replacing the charger.
also the clock speeds are 1000 and not the stock 2000, i noticed this about a month ago. still no overclock.

2 bad gk106 cards
a faulty screen.
faulty wireless card,
faulty sound card.
THE INFAMOUS HINGE MISALIGNMENT.
and 2 chargers IN A PAIR TREE!..... going on 3.

there were so many problems that i started spending at least a week out of every month without my laptop, and gave up.

im just going to stop ranting and start crying. over here. in the corner.

RAM-disk
Level 7
Move over I'll sit with you.
"Ram disk" is not an installation procedure !!!

RAM-disk wrote:
Move over I'll sit with you.

LOL i just saw this....

ON TOPIC. CAN ANYONE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION? this laptop was clearly fromt he lemon batch and neither company wanted to sell me an "advanced" warranty when i went in with the 200 bucks.

Im at a loss with a gaming pc that crashes during the second match of bf3 for they day EVERY TIME. not BSOD, not nvidia driver failure.

POWER DOWN. KAPUT. this laptop came off the shelf as a lemon and has deteriorated from there. again, CRYING.

l2apsux
Level 7
what is love baby dont hurt me. why is there NOOOOO support for the JW?
whats up with elitest forum setup where 1300 bucks isnt enough money to be part of your cool kids lounge in the "js jx owners" blah blah blah?

it seems knowledge is PRETTY limited with this model and i swear ive got so much intel i could make a lovely youtube video.
i hope to GOD im NOT the most knowledgable about this jw lemon scandal.

id EMBRACE some person coming around and showing me a thing or two about kicking this lazy machine in the butt.