Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    warhead
    I was looking forward to having my problems of the past three months finally being addressed. I love this laptop, and use it as my primary workstation. Unfortunately, 211 , downloaded directly from Asus website, and following this kind advice, resulted in a non-functioning G73. Flash went through fine, shutdown, never came back on. Tried letting it sit overnight without the battery in place, no joy. No POST, no Power light from AC, nothing. Tried the pinhole reset on the bottom, pulling the HDD and RAM out and reseating, nothing. Is there no option for BIOS recovery on this thing?

Thanks ASUS for any assistance, even it it means pointing me to RMA

Brian@ASUS
    did it stop working after the vbios update or the bios update? these are 2 separate items

eamonn
    Using the G73JH-RCNX09 (Bestbuy model) here, and was on the stock drivers without ever a single GSOD, or any other issue.
    Upgraded to the 10.8 drivers when trying out the Final Fantasy XIV beta, as it wouldn't load with the stock drivers. After that I started getting GSODs in there, and in Starcraft 2 which had worked fine before.
    Reverting back to the stock drivers fixed the problem, but of course I could load up the FFXIV beta anymore.
    Found this post, updated the Bios, then the vBios, and tried with stock drivers, no problems.
    Upgraded to the 10.8 drivers, and haven't had a single GSOD in the 2 weeks or so.
    Been playing Starcraft 2, FFXIV beta, Civ 5, all without issue.
    Thank you for the fix!

warhead
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian@ASUS View Post
    did it stop working after the vbios update or the bios update? these are 2 separate items
    Bios update from here: http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us chose my model, clicked BIOS, saw that there was a 211 at the top and ran it. I had done this before when 209 came out without any problems. It also did the 'won't power on thing, but somehow I got it to power up by pulling the HDD, RAM, etc . This time, however, it's not cooperating. Not even the AC active light is lit when plugged in.

Thanks for the reply.

w

dajoola
    I'm getting stuck somewhere between steps 2 and 3. I (think) I made the bootable flash drive correctly, then rebooted, then hit delete like crazy during reboot, and the BIOS screen came up. Made the changes on option 1 to make it my flash drive. Saved changes and exited. Then I get an old school dos prompt with a blinking cursor waiting for me to type something:

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
    (c) Copyright Microsoft Corp. 1981-1998

c:\> [blinking cursor]

What do I type? I tried typing VFlash like the instructions say, but it said "Bad command or file name" and just gave me back the blinking cursor.

looks like c: is your hard drive and your USB should be something else.... if you type "dir", do you see a list of files one of which is vflash? I think you need to type the letter of your USB key followed by a colon, "E:" for example

TayCole

GSOD of Death?

I was playing a lan with a few people from school when i first encountered a GSOD the laptop was about a week old. I got a purple screen with i think it was vertical lines. didn't know what the error was never read up on GSOD before so i just though the game had glitches causing the laptop to crash, i force restarted by holding the power button for a few seconds, the computer was up and running fine for about another week. then last night a got another GSOD while playing Crysis, it was the same purple GSOD. i wondered what was going on. I force restarted again seeing as it had completely frozen. when the laptop had started up and gone into widows i got an orange colored GSOD with vertical lines. I had to force restart again. This time when i hit the power button after the GSOD that i had restarted from i got a completely black screen, nothing on it at all. The lights came on the keyboard light and caps and num lights come on and then go off but all the other lights stay on. this is usual at boot. But i had nothing on screen. I created a bootable flash drive with the files you have provided i have tested it out on another pc i have that works, the flash drive boots into dos and i can run the vflash command which obviously would give me a adapter not present error because the computer the flash drive was tested on didn't have a ATI Hd 5870 like the g73 did. I tried putting in the bootable flash drive in to the g73 and then starting up the computer using the power button then right after the lights went on holding the ESC button which should have brought me in to the boot device selector??? Am i correct? i have tried every single move on the arrows (none down, 1 down, 2 down, 3 down, 4 down, 5 down, 6 down) Nothing seems to boot into the flash drive. there is not activity on the LED indicator of the flash drive, So technically i'm trying to Blind flash. If you could help me out in any way at all that will allow me to boot into the flash drive to be able to flash the new vBios or to fix the problem i am having now i will be so so so so so so grateful. Please help. Btw my Bios is on 211

ROG Junior Member Array IcePanther's Avatar

@dajoola :
    Did you copy the three files (VFlash.bat, atiflash, and the vBIOS itself) to the USB device after running the HP tool ?
    The C: prompt seems normal to me (windows automatically assigns C: to the boot drive -except for floppy disks, AFAIK), it's what I encountered when trying to flash the vBIOS, but the files appear to be missing, in your case. You could use the dir command, as jepira suggested, to see if they're in here.

My update results, as we were told to report :
    The vBIOS update has fixed random crashes (green screen with stripes, hanging sound) while playing Fallout 3 on my machine with the newest mobile drivers (10.8) from ATI, so it seems to work, even if I didn't encounter GSOD's while running furmark before or after installing it. My BIOS is 211.

Sorry, my reply was a bit quick. I don't have my G73 with me so I can't do it myself, but if you google through notebookreview forums, you'll see some guides on blindflashing.
    I can't remember which key brings the boot menu up... isn't it "delete" and not "esc"?

For myself, BIOS 211 and vbios update have fixed all issues with my G73. Only thing remaining is high GPU temperatures but only a GPU repaste will fix that and I'm waiting to see if the situation evolves before sending to RMA due to my low trust on Asus RMA in France. Reports are quite random, some people are happy, others live a nightmare... so I hang on until I really have to send it in.

EDIT: it is ESC... that you have to hit.

Try another USB stick, perhaps.

How to blind flash guide

Krupp
    I'm having a problem with the new vflash update and I'm still getting the GSOD. Pasting a post I made at notebookreview.com

This first occurred when trying to play Final Fantasy XIV.

G73jh-b1
    Already have tried: (These are current settings right now):
    93Vbios fix
    211 Bios Update
    10.8 ATI mobility installed

I've already tried reinstalling all of these without positive results.
    The GSOD has expanded from the game to occurring during stress and benchmark tests. It would crash during FurMark and ATI Tool tests. The screen is also flickering once in awhile.

The running temperature is between 68-73 degrees Celsius. Clock goes 405/1000 to 700/1000 when playing a game. I'm not sure what is causing the problem or how to fix it. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast