cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth upgrade from Asus DCU2 OC to a GTX 980?

Alton_Brown
Level 7
Hi all, I'm back again with a question. Someone yell at me if this question has already been asked, i quickly searched through the forms. I'm sure this is going to be a big question, should I upgrade from a GTX 780 to a GTX 980? I have looked at most of the reviews and comparisons between the two cards, it seems the 980 is about 13% - 15% better than the 780 TI, and about 20% -25% better then the 780. I am only running at 1080 P. The last mistake I made was, I held onto my old GTX 570s for too long and they weren't worth much on eBay,. My question is do I sell my 780 now? Or does anyone have any other options? SLI?
14 REPLIES 14

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
GTX980 is made on the same node (28nm) as the GTX780 is produced. Performance is on par or a bit above of a GTX 780Ti/Titan Black, but there isn't a significant performance increase. Sometime in 2015 we will see products on the 20nm, which will kick off a real performance gain over the current available graphics solutions. As the performance improvement we've seen from GF110 to GK110.
I would stick to the GTX 780 and wait for more information about graphics solutions released in 2015 by Nvidia (GM200) and AMD (R9 300 series). 😉
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |
Laptop: Samsung 940X3G | i7-4500U | 8Gb RAM | 256Gb SSD | 13.3" 3200x1800 |

ConkersGrillforce1337 wrote:
GTX980 is made on the same node (28nm) as the GTX780 is produced. Performance is on par or a bit above of a GTX 780Ti/Titan Black, but there isn't a significant performance increase. Sometime in 2015 we will see products on the 20nm, which will kick off a real performance gain over the current available graphics solutions. As the performance improvement we've seen from GF110 to GK110.
I would stick to the GTX 780 and wait for more information about graphics solutions released in 2015 by Nvidia (GM200) and AMD (R9 300 series). 😉

What about grabbing another 780 and running sli?

Alton Brown wrote:
What about grabbing another 780 and running sli?

It depends. If you're playing at resolutions higher than 2560x1600, I would advise to get a second GTX780. Otherwise stay with one card and start to save money for the next big launch of Nvidia (GM200 aka BigMaxwell) and AMD (R9 300series) on the 20nm node. 😉
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |

randyenergy
Level 10
Alton Brown wrote:
Hi all, I'm back again with a question. Someone yell at me if this question has already been asked, i quickly searched through the forms. I'm sure this is going to be a big question, should I upgrade from a GTX 780 to a GTX 980? I have looked at most of the reviews and comparisons between the two cards, it seems the 980 is about 13% - 15% better than the 780 TI, and about 20% -25% better then the 780. I am only running at 1080 P. The last mistake I made was, I held onto my old GTX 570s for too long and they weren't worth much on eBay,. My question is do I sell my 780 now? Or does anyone have any other options? SLI?

You seem to be worried about loosing money when you sell your card.
If you have the money now, sell it and grab a GTX 980. If you wait until next year, you are going to loose much more money. This seems to be your primary concern and I agree with you.
Secondly, the 900s bring much more to the table. I wouldn't hesitate to sell it now and grab a 900. Performance wise, it is much better. Not by a great margin, but much better. And it brings other innovations you cannot ignore.
Look here: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5624/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980--970-review-incl-ultra-hd-benchmarks-...
Sell now, get 1 or 2 GTX...just my opinion.
Personally, I am going to grab 1 or 2 GTX 970. Just look how they perform.
So, better performance, new innovations, latest tech and you don't loose much on selling your card now.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Alton Brown wrote:
The last mistake I made was, I held onto my old GTX 570s for too long and they weren't worth much on eBay,.

This is certainly a factor in deciding....you are right, if you wait until GM200 appears, to upgrade, then maybe the resale value of the 780 will have fallen quite a bit. If you sell your cards every time something new comes out you will get a decent enough price for the old card and can put the money to the new one....if you wait until the old card is a generation or two older and then upgrade you don't get much for the old card and fork out the total of the new card....

However this is all a bit based on the premise that you want to upgrade for the heck of it since at 1080p a 780 will be kicking a** and a second one will keep you gaming happy for ages yet at that resolution...so gaming performance wise you don't need to upgrade....it's just a "want to" thing if you have the cash....

maybe sell 780 and get 970 SLI?

Hey Alton, i agree with Arne and Randy,yes gtx 970 sli for $660 usd, price is low enough.

Actually since you have a 780 the rule of thumb for electronics is upgrade every other generation(Pascal in 2016)

Spend your money wisely

There are already rumours that GTX 980 Ti or GTX Titan

Quote:

The Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 and 970 have barely arrived and the dust hasn’t even settled yet. That doesn’t hold anyone back though and we’re getting new leaks on the next generation of cards, or rather just the GPU so far.

A Czech IT publication got their hands on images and information on the new GM200 chips. If the normal schedule holds up, we can expect cards with this GPU in about 2 months time. These are rumours and unconfirmed information, but the site has been accurate in their predictions and leaks about the GTX 980 and 970, as well as many other products.

The future graphics card equipped with the Gm204 GM200 chip might be named GTX 980 Ti, or it could be a possible new GTX Titan. The GM200 has a die size of 551 mm² and is still built on the 28 nm technology. It is said to have 20-22 SMM’s and 2560-2816 CUDA cores. The memory bus runs on a 384-bit interface and the amount should be increased to 6 GB.

Allegedly the new GPU can perform 50% higher than the current GTX Titan Black and double that of the 780 Ti. All of this while consuming less power. The two mentioned cards use about 250 watts each, where the new cards are speculated to use just 200 watts, or possibly even less. That isn’t much for that kind of power.

According to the rumours, the core is done and test samples have been sent to customers. The source also revealed a dual-core flagship GTX 990 using GM204 cores, something that I’m sure will get consumers excited in many. The possible launch time is mentioned as December, which would fit well into the normal schedule from tape-out to finished product. Merry Gaming Christmas indeed. Or could this indeed be scheduled for CES 2015 in January?

http://www.eteknix.com/next-generation-nvidia-gpu-leaked/

01 Wolverine wrote:
Hey Alton, i agree with Arne and Randy,yes gtx 970 sli for $660 usd, price is low enough.

Actually since you have a 780 the rule of thumb for electronics is upgrade every other generation(Pascal in 2016)

Spend your money wisely

There are already rumours that GTX 980 Ti or GTX Titan

Quote:

The Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 and 970 have barely arrived and the dust hasn’t even settled yet. That doesn’t hold anyone back though and we’re getting new leaks on the next generation of cards, or rather just the GPU so far.

A Czech IT publication got their hands on images and information on the new GM200 chips. If the normal schedule holds up, we can expect cards with this GPU in about 2 months time. These are rumours and unconfirmed information, but the site has been accurate in their predictions and leaks about the GTX 980 and 970, as well as many other products.

The future graphics card equipped with the Gm204 GM200 chip might be named GTX 980 Ti, or it could be a possible new GTX Titan. The GM200 has a die size of 551 mm² and is still built on the 28 nm technology. It is said to have 20-22 SMM’s and 2560-2816 CUDA cores. The memory bus runs on a 384-bit interface and the amount should be increased to 6 GB.

Allegedly the new GPU can perform 50% higher than the current GTX Titan Black and double that of the 780 Ti. All of this while consuming less power. The two mentioned cards use about 250 watts each, where the new cards are speculated to use just 200 watts, or possibly even less. That isn’t much for that kind of power.

According to the rumours, the core is done and test samples have been sent to customers. The source also revealed a dual-core flagship GTX 990 using GM204 cores, something that I’m sure will get consumers excited in many. The possible launch time is mentioned as December, which would fit well into the normal schedule from tape-out to finished product. Merry Gaming Christmas indeed. Or could this indeed be scheduled for CES 2015 in January?

http://www.eteknix.com/next-generation-nvidia-gpu-leaked/

Within 2 months? Seems possible if we look at the import data below. Customer samples of the GM204 were shipped about three months before the product release this september. First customer samples of the GM200 were shipped in mid-August, if we use the same timeframe we can look to a ready GM200 in November. I highly doubt Nvidia will release it already in November and f*** all GTX980 buyers, tough they did the same with GTX Titan release and GTX 780Ti following. :mad:

I think CES2015 in January and MWC2015 in February could be more Tegra-oriented events, while Nvidia GTC event in March could be one of the possible launch events.

28nm? At least AMD announced there will be no 20nm GPU in 2014. TSMC has recently announced the first 16nm FinFet network processor, but they said nothing about mass production for 20nm for other products than SoCs.
If Nvidia comes with a 28nm GM200, I'm asking myself how they will go through 2015, you can't port a 28nm design to a 20nm in a short time and AMD more or less clearly stated their next GPU will be 20nm.

It is only a rumour ,but it is possible.You can believe that nvidia is waiting for AMDs' move

I just want the members to remember the 780/780ti/Titan fiasco.

Nvidia wants your money at any cost.This is the reason why i like the sli 970s,

They perform great and overclock like a bear.I think at $329 usd you cannot lose money if at all

gtx 980 is $549 usd, for another $110 you get gtx 970 sli.

After the Big Maxwell you think the gtx 980 price will be $499 as rumoured??

Nvidia strikes again.Don't get me wrong i like Nvidia

[QUOTE=Arne Saknussemm

However this is all a bit based on the premise that you want to upgrade for the heck of it since at 1080p a 780 will be kicking a** and a second one will keep you gaming happy for ages yet at that resolution...so gaming performance wise you don't need to upgrade....it's just a "want to" thing if you have the cash....

maybe sell 780 and get 970 SLI?

Hi Arne! Thanks all for helping... I agree with Arne and you guys about selling, but I did the 3 way sli before (3way 570s) and that had a lot of hiccups. I'd love to stay with just a single cArd. So now all this leads me to ask, With the asus dcu2 780, I feel I should be able to have every setting maxed in BF4 with scale resolution set to 200 and it should Perform great.. But it doesn't. I have A decent overclock, all settings to ultra and can only set scale resolution to140-145...so I guess what I'm trying to ask is, will a 980 give me that full resolution scale with a single card? And again, i sincerely thank all of your for your input and great Info! If your ever in my neck of the woods, beers are on me!