cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot change brightness settings G750JM

Mountian_Man
Level 7
When I first got my notebook the brightness was working just fine. Throught the course of troubleshooting an issue with horizontal lines on the screen (which I was able to fix) I could not change the brightness at all on the notebook. This means the hotkeys don't work, windows can't change the brightness, and I have turned off all of the possible places that auto brightness could be active noted on this link: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6042-adaptive-brightness-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

I have tried installing the oldest drivers Asus recommends on the download page but I have not had success. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Does anyone know of a piece of software I may have uninstalled that could cause this to happen? I'd rather not reinstall the OS if I don't have to.
15 REPLIES 15

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
It's hard to offer input considering we don't know what "through the course of troubleshooting" encompasses.

And when you say you tried installing the oldest drivers Asus recommends, which drivers are you referring to?

I understand a recovery or format + reload of Windows isn't ideal, but it may very well save you time in troubleshooting.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Did you recently install a new NVIDIA driver..?

Kelusion
Level 7
Mountian Man wrote:
When I first got my notebook the brightness was working just fine. Throught the course of troubleshooting an issue with horizontal lines on the screen (which I was able to fix) I could not change the brightness at all on the notebook. This means the hotkeys don't work, windows can't change the brightness, and I have turned off all of the possible places that auto brightness could be active noted on this link: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6042-adaptive-brightness-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

I have tried installing the oldest drivers Asus recommends on the download page but I have not had success. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Does anyone know of a piece of software I may have uninstalled that could cause this to happen? I'd rather not reinstall the OS if I don't have to.

Well you might have uninstalled the Hotkey related software which came along withit, nonetheless it would have helped a lot more, if we knew what did you removed and what did you did in-order to fix the Horizontal Lines issue?

You can go to the official Asus Driver Support webpage and install the following,

1- ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities (Expand ATK - Version V1.0.0033)
2- Keyboard Device Filter Utility (Expand Utilities - Version V1.0.0.5)

From here - http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JM&p=3&s=521

Restart your system and check it out, let us know 🙂 if this resolves it or not.
Where to find latest Asus Rog G750/751 drivers?

Please use search in the forums, there might be alot of threads which have similar answers to what you are looking for!

Mountian_Man
Level 7
I finally figured out the problem and this appears to be a general windows 8.1 problem not specific to ASUS computers...

Basically if Windows installs too many Monitor drivers in the device manager it somehow causes windows not to be able to adjust the brightness.

Go to Device Manager, under View select "Show Hidden Devices", go to the "Display Adaptors" and disable all video card drivers, go to the section "Monitors" and delete all monitors listed (windows can reinstall them if needed). After you re-enable the video card drivers brightness began working again. I believe this is a problem with ACPI and device detection on windows...

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing this sort of problem...I believe this caused "flashing" (the monitor turned on and off really fast after windows login) on a completely different laptop that had an Nvidia dedicated graphics card with the intel 4000 onboard...

Mountian Man wrote:
I finally figured out the problem and this appears to be a general windows 8.1 problem not specific to ASUS computers...

Basically if Windows installs too many Monitor drivers in the device manager it somehow causes windows not to be able to adjust the brightness.

Go to Device Manager, under View select "Show Hidden Devices", go to the "Display Adaptors" and disable all video card drivers, go to the section "Monitors" and delete all monitors listed (windows can reinstall them if needed). After you re-enable the video card drivers brightness began working again. I believe this is a problem with ACPI and device detection on windows...

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing this sort of problem...I believe this caused "flashing" (the monitor turned on and off really fast after windows login) on a completely different laptop that had an Nvidia dedicated graphics card with the intel 4000 onboard...

Mountian Man, nice find/fix 🙂

I checked and I have 1 hidden duplicate Generic PnP Monitor as well!

I don't have any display issues that I have noticed, and I can set brightness ok too.

How many did you have showing as hidden before deleting them?

Mountian_Man
Level 7
I had 9 showing up origionally. Everytime the laptop is connected to a screen it creates a new driver object. One of the drivers must have somehow become corrupt. I don't nessassarly think it was all of them that caused the problem, just one specific instance where the driver either did not install correctly, or was connected to the active monitor driver in a way it was not supposed to be.

Mountian Man wrote:
I had 9 showing up origionally. Everytime the laptop is connected to a screen it creates a new driver object. One of the drivers must have somehow become corrupt. I don't nessassarly think it was all of them that caused the problem, just one specific instance where the driver either did not install correctly, or was connected to the active monitor driver in a way it was not supposed to be.

Mountian Man, sounds right. I only had 2, but oddly I haven't connected to an external monitor since rebuilding the RAID0 - I wonder how it got 2 builtin monitor entries? I deleted it and rebooted, it's still gone.

Thanks for the heads up on the issue/fix 🙂

Mountian Man wrote:

Thanks Mountain Man, I had a total of 11 monitors showing in my Device Manager.
I haven't had any issues, but I did uninstalled all grayed out listings.
I did run my Sharp Aqous 32" via the HDMI port couple of time, but I didn't think that would generate 10 monitors listed in Device Manager. (but it did)
Thanks again for sharing, that's a good find my friend.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

hmscott
Level 12
Mountian Man, I thought "hey, maybe there are other hidden devices from other updates / installs", and then I looked...

I wonder if there is a quick way to clean these up... remove all hidden devices?