cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstall Win 8. However...

SylerG46
Level 7
I have an Asus G46VW I want to remove everything and reinstall my windows 8 because it is runing very slow.
I tried to use the feature from PC Settings however it didn't let me cause I need Recovery media. I have no recovery media.
In Computer Managment I have this partitions.. What can I do with them? How can I use them? If those partitions don't help. How can I reinstall windows 8 without losing my files on Drve: D and Drive: U? Thanks for the help.

PS: Remember G46 doesn't have a optical drive. I need to boot it from USB

13 REPLIES 13

Clintlgm
Level 14
SylerG46 wrote:
I have an Asus G46VW I want to remove everything and reinstall my windows 8 because it is runing very slow.
I tried to use the feature from PC Settings however it didn't let me cause I need Recovery media. I have no recovery media.
In Computer Managment I have this partitions.. What can I do with them? How can I use them? If those partitions don't help. How can I reinstall windows 8 without losing my files on Drve: D and Drive: U? Thanks for the help.

PS: Remember G46 doesn't have a optical drive. I need to boot it from USB

First thing is to back everything up. Then download Asus Backtracker and create a Return to factory condition media USB 16 GB will be needed

Your other option is to find a ISO or DVD to create a Install USB and then clean install to your C: partition
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

SylerG46
Level 7
thanks for the help.
I'll try to do that

toronto699
Level 13
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc hope this helps u need 16gb usb drive there are videos to show u how , just google reinstall or recovery 8.1 heads up ,
Keep that Recovery drive in safe place once u make it , some people are saying u can only make I USB recovery drive. some people say W8 or 8.1 will not make 2 recovery USBs every one should make a USB Recovery Drive. something happens to your OS ull be out of luck to reinstall it. ull have to buy another Activation Key, unless asus will give u one

I tried to use Backtracker but it fails to create the backup.

I want to use Acronis Backup, however I dont know how to use it. I've been watching videos of how to use it but I dont know what partition do i need to back up. does anyone know?.

Why did Asus create all those partitions and not only one like the others?

I can not Refresh my computer cause it says some files are missing or something.

I can't download a ISO from Microsoft because it says that my Key is not valid (it is OEM)

SylerG46 wrote:
I tried to use Backtracker but it fails to create the backup.

I want to use Acronis Backup, however I dont know how to use it. I've been watching videos of how to use it but I dont know what partition do i need to back up. does anyone know?.

You would create a disk image. Don't try to back up partitions back up the complete disk.

Why did Asus create all those partitions and not only one like the others?

Asus did not create all these partitions. Your system is UEFI GPT and most of the partition are needed. Asus has or had a recovery partition in addition to the 3 needed

I can not Refresh my computer cause it says some files are missing or something.

I assume you upgraded to Win 8.1 and again with update this makes your recovery partition useless. Also probably the reason you couldn't get backtracker to copy your recovery partition to your USB?

I can't download a ISO from Microsoft because it says that my Key is not valid (it is OEM)

Search the internet for a Win 8.1.update ISO use checksum to verify the Hash is correct. Or borrow a DVD disk from a friend
You'll need the Generic install code for Win 8.1 core 64Bit, Goggle for them

This thread will show you how to create your USB Install media, Use Rufus to do that.
Here are some other=Installation%20and%20Setup"] tutorials in general how to install windows 8

Generic codes for Core which I think you have and Pro just incase you have that one
Core: 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Professional: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Search the internet for a Win 8.1.update ISO use checksum to verify the Hash is correct. Or borrow a DVD disk from a friend
You'll need the Generic install code for Win 8.1 core 64Bit, Goggle for them

This thread will show you how to create your USB Install media, Use Rufus to do that.
Here are some other=Installation%20and%20Setup"] tutorials in general how to install windows 8

Generic codes for Core which I think you have and Pro just incase you have that one
Core: 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Professional: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

No, I haven't upgrade to win 8.1.

I followed part of the tutorial. But I get an Error.
the backuptarget is a USB drive and it says it cannot be saved there or something like that.
I also, tried to saved in other partition and it says doesnt have enough space.

What with backtracker, that will only out put to a USB Drive 16 GB minimum. Perhaps your recovery partition has been damaged?
If your trying to create a Clean Install of 8.1 or 8 use Rufus here is a stolen diagram from MaxGeeks website
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
What with backtracker, that will only out put to a USB Drive 16 GB minimum. Perhaps your recovery partition has been damaged?
If your trying to create a Clean Install of 8.1 or 8 use Rufus here is a stolen diagram from MaxGeeks website

backtracker always fails.. I unistall it a couple of times but it still give the same error. I downloaded 3.0.7 version and doesn't work for me.

The USB device is working perfectly.. 32GB kingston.

I know how to use Rufus. However, I don't have the ISO file and I don't know if I download a retail version I can activate it with my OEM key (I guess no, cause I downloaded from microsoft website and I coudn't activate it)

Yes you computer is not reading the USB chip? is it perhaps a USB 3.0
Yes you can install Win 8.1 with 1 update you will need to use the core version. You should have already extracted your win 8 embedded key?
You use the Generic Key to start to install then after the install is complete change the Product key to your extracted key and it will activate if it didn't pick up your embedded already? See this thread for information http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/31093-activate-retail-windows-8-1-windows-8-product-ke...
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro